2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
26 members (clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., David B, Fried Chicken, 9 invisible), 1,173 guests, and 284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
OP Offline
T
1) I had 2-3 years of very laid-back piano lessons in elementary school. i haven't learned ANY music theory I just played some religious music pieces only (the teacher was very bigoted). I learned to read some sheet music.
2) Now, I am returning to the piano as a 35 years old. I learned for some months using Synthesia (only reading sheet-music and NOT the falling notes) since it could correct me if I played the wrong notes. I can play easily, flawlessly pieces like this:
[img width=600 height=167]https://i.ibb.co/hHM15yb/piano1.jpg[/img]
and play SLOWLY, with around 5 mistakes (although with practice I am sure I will play it without mistakes and faster) pieces like this:
[img width=600 height=160]https://i.ibb.co/P6X7gSg/piano2.jpg[/img]
I have completed some basic music theory course on Youtube and memorized 90% of it.
Now I found a piano teacher and we will start lessons in two weeks.
3) I only love and listen to classical music. My question is that will I ever be able to play at least the easier kind of classical music on an amateur level for my own pleasure?

Last edited by trickybilly; 09/25/21 10:34 AM.
C
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
C
Why not. How about e.g. this? Does it seem undoable with enough practice?

S
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Of course you will be able to play classical music! You’ve taken a great deal of initiative to begin learning and now have a teacher. Bravo!!!

Just take one day at a time and appreciate the music. You may not recognize improvement on a daily basis, but if you look backwards periodically, you can see how far you have come. Celebrate the small successes: a measure, a scale, a new key signature, new music you have never played— and for Pete’s sake, avoid the YouTube videos of the cute 5 year olds. 😖

B
B
Originally Posted by trickybilly
Now I found a piano teacher and we will start lessons in two weeks.
3) I only love and listen to classical music. My question is that will I ever be able to play at least the easier kind of classical music on an amateur level for my own pleasure?
Definitely.

I'd just like to add a couple of points: patience - a lot of it - is key. Don't rush, and don't push your teacher into teaching you more advanced pieces than you can handle. Similarly, if you feel you're struggling, tell your teacher. Some teachers feel they need to keep giving "interesting" (& challenging) pieces to adult students to avoid them getting bored, and don't realize they are finding things too challenging.

Technical improvements come much more slowly for an adult learner than musical and theoretical ones. (For kids, it's the other way round.) And you definitely don't want to develop bad habits and tension-related problems that often result from trying to play stuff your fingers cannot manage.

Secondly, keep improving your reading skills. Play from the score. Don't waste time memorizing any pieces unless you want to keep them for some time to play for others. Much more than anything else for a classical amateur musician, it's excellent reading skills that make for long-term pleasure - when you can just pick up any score that's close to your playing level, and play it straight off (OK, slowly) without having to laboriously decipher what each note is, then look for it on your piano....

If music be the food of love, play on!
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by bennevis
Secondly, keep improving your reading skills. Play from the score. Don't waste time memorizing any pieces unless you want to keep them for some time to play for others. Much more than anything else for a classical amateur musician, it's excellent reading skills that make for long-term pleasure - when you can just pick up any score that's close to your playing level, and play it straight off (OK, slowly) without having to laboriously decipher what each note is, then look for it on your piano....

This will be the most difficult part.

It is tempting to "memorize" which keys to press instead of playing while "reading" the notation because initially you will be able to be able to play pieces sooner.

Avoid that temptation and keep "reading" while playing.

Eventually, you get so good at the reading part that it becomes a non-factor and the whole world of printed music opens up to you.

Good Luck

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by trickybilly

Sure you will. Many classical composers wrote music especially for their children or for their students, and therefore their easiest pieces are not very difficult.

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I started from at 35 like you and now after a few years I can play some of the great classics like Chopin nocturnes and Mozart sonatas. There are many people on this forum who started at a much older age and can also play advanced pieces. I think with patience and a good teacher who doesn't skip over the basics you can definitely achieve your goals.

There is no guarantee you will be able to play classical music. OTOH I think your chances of being able to do this are around 99%.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
OP - if you work at it, if can get some help from a good teacher (I do think that's important), I believe you can achieve, and even exceed your goal. Studying and practicing and playing piano will teach you patience (or CAN teach you patience if you're game). Progress is generally not linear, but if the general trend is forward, good enough.

I know somebody who took her first lesson in Chinese brush painting at age 30. To the best of my knowledge, she'd never painted, never even finger painted, prior to that. She went on to master the art and craft; her paintings sell for $1000s today.

Go for it.

Andrew Kraus, Pianist
Educated Amateur Tuner/Technician
I Make Music that Lifts People Up & Brings Them Together
Rockville, MD USA
www.AndrewKraus.com
www.YouTube.com/RockvillePianoGuy
Twitter at @IAmAPianist

1929 Steinert 6'10" (Close copy of New York S&S "B")
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
It's inspiring to see older adults get into music. In my younger days nobody would encourage me to get into music at age 35 if I didn't start at age 10. A lot of older adults like myself are getting into music for stress relief or for fun.

Many of us are not pursuing a career as a concert pianist. You can go as far as you want. When it comes to repertoire, my teacher got her students into playing from a book with Jazz tunes for easy piano. Even if your main interest is Classical, you should be open to playing other genres of music. I listen to student performances online regularly and I'm well aware of the pieces they're playing at various levels including movements out of Bach "French Suites", Bach 2-part Inventions, Mozart & Beethoven Sonatas. A lot of beginners and lower intermediates play pieces out of the repertoire books like "Notebook for Anna M Bach", "First Lessons in Bach". There are also books with arrangements of Classical pieces for easy piano.

I download sheet music regularly. I don't limit myself to assigned pieces from a teacher or the ones in a computer learning program. We learn to read and we have access to the books in a library. You can try pieces on your own without guidance from a teacher when you feel ready.

S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Indeed, there are members here near or at retirement age that have just started learning the piano —- and they are learning and enjoying playing. The old refrain was ‘’I’m too old’. I’m glad that old barrier is being tested and broken.

Y
Yao Offline
Y
why not? I started a year ago also at 35, now I’m working on my first Chopin piece (Op 69 No 1). I hope you enjoy your piano lessons!

J
J
Removed unhelpful negative comments

Last edited by Piano World; 10/02/21 06:26 AM.
S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Rocdoc
The original post was removed by the mods and the member banned—- but now the original post has now been quoted twice, so the nastiness lives on 😏

Last edited by dogperson; 10/02/21 08:34 AM.
F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member
F
Yes, you can. I saw a number of people in this forum and in my acquaintance develop piano performance skills from zero.

K
K
Sure, just keep at it. Every day - even if it's just 10 minutes. Regular practice is key.

Record yourself once in a while so you can look back and see how much you improved. Or pick up older pieces half a year later and you'll see the big steps you made.

I re-started a couple of years ago (2018 I believe) and man have I gotten better. It's so good to have this pile of notes where you can just pick an old one and it only takes a couple of hours to get the piece back to a level where I like to listen to it myself smile

An important discovery in the last months was to play pieces below my level - I realize that you might not be there yet - and it's just so much fun to just play stuff even if it's really basic. That and the simple Burgmüller Etudes.

T
T
Similar situation here: I would recommend a teacher for online lesson as they use to not taking a ton of money - it does help speeding up things a bit and avoiding taking bad techniques etc.
I searched for my teachers here: https://musicteachersdirectory.org/

[Kawai VPC1 / ES100 & Casio CT-S1 - VSTs: Boesendorfer 280VC (VSL), C. Bechstein (PT7+) & HB Steinway D, Steingraeber, Bluethner & K2 (PT8.2.0+) - Ableton Live Lite - Presonus iOne / iTwo - Sennheiser HD6xx - iloud micro monitors]
J
jdw Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
Yes, of course! I'm sure your teacher will have good recommendations. I think you'd enjoy the "Joy of Classics" collection of fairly easy pieces.

1989 Baldwin R
C
C
When I first posted on this forum someone recommended to me the book Easy Classics to Moderns. They're all easy pieces, but in their original form, and not arranged. I love it! The pieces are way more interesting and fun to play than much of what I've found in other books of arranged material (like the Faber Adult Classics 2, for instance).

Last edited by Csj24; 10/22/21 09:14 PM.
A
A
The Royal Conservatory of Music series takes you pretty much from the beginning with classical renditions. I have just started grade two and I am working on a piece by Handel. The books can be purchased pretty much anywhere.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission