2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Advanced Piano Tricks
Advanced Piano Tricks
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
66 members (ando, Beemer, Alex Hutor, Andrew E., An Old Square, Baltguy, Animisha, anotherscott, 17 invisible), 600 guests, and 336 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 32 of 33 1 2 30 31 32 33
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
On the N1X, you have the choice. You can either use anachronistic buttons or your smartphone/tablet (iOS/Android) with SmartPianist. A Bluetooth MIDI dongle would be handy (the integrated BT of the N1X is only for audio) ; just add 44€ to your purchase.

But when the device is connected, the N1X displays Con (like connected), and you can’t use the buttons. You have to assume your choice or quit the SmartPianist app.

Last edited by Frédéric L; 09/26/21 03:03 PM.

http://www.sinerj.org/
http://humeur-synthe.sinerj.org/
Yamaha CLP150, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
P
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Peddler100
Originally Posted by Pete14
Are you okay with ugly 1980s-type buttons

Retro, the correct term is retro. smile

blush

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
The true retro interface has only 88 "buttons". What more could you ask for?

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
The Bösenderfer Imperial has 97 « retro » buttons. wink

My N1X has 88+9 = 97 buttons too. smile

Last edited by Frédéric L; 09/26/21 03:56 PM.

Yamaha CLP150, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
V
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
V
Originally Posted by Frédéric L
The Bösenderfer Imperial has 97 « retro » buttons. wink

My N1X has 88+9 = 97 buttons too. smile
🤣

P
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
P
I didn’t mean to push anyone’s buttons; I simply asked a question based on previous observations, “the N1X’s interface is ugly”, that’s all.

Personally, I think the ‘retro’ interface is a work of art worthy of admiration and respect, and I applaud the people behind its design. 👏

P.S.

I didn’t expect for the N1X crowd to be so sensitive; it’s the ‘Kawai-Guys’ (with their bag of ‘issues’) that tend to take offense when I say that a screen not going fully black is not a real issue!

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Yes, the N1X has been released after the CLP5xx and CLP6xx series, we could expect at least a comparable user interface.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I prefer a simple and unobtrusive interface for a piano that’s meant to be only piano. The blue LCD screen of a Clavinova would have been ugly and too much in contrast with the classic piano appearance with glossy black finish. As to big touch screens, I’m not a fan of them although admittedly they offer an easy tweakability of parameters which the Yamaha lacks. I’d still choose a fully hidden panel.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
P
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
P
+1 for the ‘fully hidden panel’.

I like the N2/3 “slide in/out” hidden panel because it also includes the volume knob; which protrudes ever so slightly and allows for volume changes without having to pull the panel (interface) out.

The panel is basically hidden, and the user needs only slide it outwards to access a few well-placed and small buttons.

This is a smart solution because I’m sure it’s cheaper to implement than a touch-screen, and unlike the touch-screen, which is always in view (even when off), this slide in/out type panel is truly out of sight.

Once again, the volume knob is built into the panel; which is not possible with conventional and/or touch-screen panels; where the volume knob/slider is a separate interface onto itself dedicated to do one thing only, and this simply adds more clutter.

V
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
V
I don't know why no manufacturer came out with a simple sliding cover for the lateral panel in console DPs... Do you like easy access to buttons? Good, keep the sliding cover open... You only touch the interface monthly when cleaning and always play on default settings? Great, keep the cover shut over the buttons.

Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
The CS10/11 had a flip down cover that accomplished the same thing. In my opinion it remains the best looking DP to date.

Kawai NV10
Yes, a flip up/down cover would nicely hide the glowing screen.
But so would a piece of black felt. Under a buck at the craft store.

Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Yes, Mac. I did that with a black cloth for cleaning my glasses. It works. However, I don’t even notice the gray screen any more. But when I need it; to record or to turn on the metronome, it is handily on hand.

Kawai NV10
P
P
I received my NV5S yesterday! And boy was it worth the wait! Too early to give you a full review and I invest all the time I can find in playing this wonderful instrument. So far no issues found except for a bit of damper pedal noise (not from the pedal itself but the mechanics it seems) which starts to fade away now the instrument is (almost) acclimatized.

It's gorgeous, am I in (hybrid) piano heaven now? smile

August Förster upright (sold). Kawai ES8 (sold). Kawai NV5S.
G
G
You can use black tank tape...works great...

H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

@Pianico, Congratulations!!

Maybe you can just pinch yourself a bit to see if it's not a (hybrid-heavenly) dream you're in. Then, if nothing pops, just continue to love your instrument.

If you're anywhere near me, I'll come and have a look and listen 😉.

Cheers and the happiest playing,

HZ

Hello,

in the past few days I’ve made my way through the whole thread.
After having been able to try the NV10 (sine S) last week (was pretty amazed) I ruminated over the question wether a mic‘d recording of a DP was the most real world approach to the question what you hear in front of the instrument.
In objection to this idea I assume the sometimes depreciated LINEOUT recording is actually the best way to get close to this experience!

Here‘s why:
After hitting a key a digital wave representation is converted DA and sent to the internal amplifier (here Onkyo) and the Lineout alike.
Internally the amplifier amplifies the analog signal and drives the drivers of the speakers (here Onkyo) converting analog Information into airwaves which I experience as sound.

If somebody takes the lineout output (nowadays always redigitalllzed AD) and integrates (cuts) it into a video you get the best possible equivalent result now playing it back via the DA converter amplifier speaker chain.
The experience is as authentic as your electric chain is of equal quality as the Onkyo in the NV10 and is pretty much just that what your DP would sound like at this particular place in this particular room.

The most professional mic‘d recording in the opposite is as much a representation of the listening experience of the DP as a Facebook friend is a friend. The medium is the message again - the recording is the Recording of the instrument in just another room with lots of acoustic parameters listend to in just another room - not mentioned another ADDA conversion.

There have been hints to this in the discussion. What I wanted to stress here is

If you want to know how the instrument sounds listen to the lineout recording by a fairly capable Hi-Fi machine. Want to know what the difference between the 6,5‘ and 8‘ Woofer sounds like? Imagine your stereo speakers having a 1,5‘ augmented woofer driver. Sounds like a sublime change? Maybe it is.

My experience listening to the NV10 (while playing) is best represented by the lineout recordings. It‘s been great even with the 6,5‘ woofer 😉

What do you think?

Last edited by audiophon; 10/09/21 04:42 AM.

Kawai GE-30 -> Kawai K-300 ATX2 -> Kawai NV10
Yamaha P80
Jura E8

K
K
Did anyone here trade in their NV10 for an NV10S?

G
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by kevin5540
Did anyone here trade in their NV10 for an NV10S?

It'd certainly be interesting to get a first-hand account of the differences. I see the changes between the NV-10 and NV-10s as minimal enough to not warrant such an upgrade (it's kind of like the model year changes to a car during non-refresh cycles). I certainly have zero desire to change my NV-10 to an NV-10S (and honestly, even if an upgrade was offered to me for free, I'd hesitate before saying yes due to the hassles associated with scheduling/moving wink )

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
F
F
Agree Gombessa, do not see any business case in trading in the NV10 for an NV10S. I could not be happier with my NV10.

Last edited by frosas; 10/13/21 08:54 PM.

Kawai NV10, Kawai MP7SE, Nord Electro 6D, Pianoteq 7 (Steinway D, Bechstein, Electric)
Page 32 of 33 1 2 30 31 32 33

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!

Free Piano Lovers Newsletter is out now!
Piano News 2021 - 2022!
---------------------
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Pratt Reed Grand Piano Action
by Rburt53 - 01/18/22 07:41 AM
Happy birthday, Sam!
by jotur - 01/18/22 06:11 AM
Book Recommendations
by Qazsedcft - 01/18/22 03:53 AM
Novus 5 no "fading effect" after release
by Usheraname - 01/18/22 02:38 AM
Digital pianos - starting time
by JosefPirkl - 01/18/22 01:30 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics211,201
Posts3,161,720
Members104,057
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission