2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
30 members (gwing, Kawai James, Burkhard, drumour, ChristoVanRensburg, JP Thomas, Flygbladet, Anglagard44, 7 invisible), 505 guests, and 254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
I agree wholly with Ian. That paper is based on totally false acoustic premises. The researchers could have listened to a concert hall performance and concluded that vibrations by the ceiling, the floor and the walls are more important than the soundboard's as that is where the vast majority of waves hitting the ears of a member of the audience come from.

The problem is that the mathematics are flawed, as the matricial equations confuse reflexion and transmission.

Life is a smorgasbord, and I want to taste everything.
P
OP Offline
P
Dear all,

many thanks for the reflections and contributions. I am realizing again that the sound of a grand piano is still ill understood - no consensus at least on this forum, and even if there is probably a lot more literature out there somewhere, there are still many questions to answer. And we certainly do not need to understand it all to fully appreciate beauty.

Originally Posted by Withindale
It would be useful to do a spectral volume analysis of Leon McCauley's piano and others, with and without acoustic insulation. An academic paper describing the results would be very interesting. I think this would be a good basis for the research into rim and bridge termination materials William proposes.

PS This post is intended to end the hijacking of the OP's thread and bring it back on track !!!

Thanks for this clarification. Good to know also that this has not been researched according to the people here. Certainly this sounds like a lovely project to take up at some point.

I would personally be surprised if the growl of a grand piano depends largely on acoustic coupling to the legs or the rim - I would personally have guessed that the strings and soundboard would a primary cause for growl, knowing that this is after all the primary resonator (and seeing the data even if only partially understood in the TUE paper). I am curious to hear the effect of decoupling to see if I can hear it. If I can visit the UK - I definitely will and go an listen as the post by Ian suggested.

To indeed direct the discussion back to where we started, the comparison of some great instruments and the discussion on a growling bass: do have the impression that growl makes it easier for the piano sound to be bigger (not sure it translates into loudness, but clearly there is subjectiveness).

In any case, I can report that I am still exceedingly happy to play the 280VC. The Bosendorfer does not growl, but it certainly can make a lot of noise when I want it to make a lot noise. I very much appreciate the finer levels of gradations that a top instrument can make. That fine control of tone makes it much more challenging to play cleanly since I can hear much better what I am doing wrong. I am glad not all audiences are as critical, but it certainly helps my own technique.

Warm regards

Proud owner of a Bosendorfer 280VC built in 2019
Previously proud owner of a Bechstein E from the 1940s
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Heavy touchweight on Yamaha upright?
by Caesar - 05/20/22 08:40 PM
Kawai ES520 Teardown
by KawaFanboi - 05/20/22 01:00 PM
My Kawai RX3 finally started to sounds like Kawai
by Joonsung - 05/20/22 12:52 PM
I need some advice
by LĂșthien - 05/20/22 12:23 PM
Harmonization by pentatonic chords
by Nahum - 05/20/22 06:25 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,161
Posts3,193,289
Members105,329
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission