2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Advanced Piano Tricks
Advanced Piano Tricks
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
95 members (blueviewlaguna., Animisha, 36251, beeboss, An Old Square, Alex Hutor, ando, brennbaer, 20 invisible), 1,369 guests, and 437 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
OP Offline
J
Hello

I recently bought the Synthogy Ivory II American Concert D piano, overall very pleased with it (running standalone), but the low G (and to a lesser extent the B and D above) seem to my ears to have an unpleasant 'twangy' overtone that's really distracting - just wondering if it's my ears at fault so would appreciate if folks could take a listen to the sample clip I recorded (direct to Quicktime).

I've been playing it through my N1X both over speakers/headphones and however I listen to it, even cutting the N1X out completely as per the clip, there's this horrible metallic twang on this bottom G. I've not heard any mention of it anywhere else so maybe it's a defect in my ears!

In the clip (google drive link) I play low F/A/C followed by G/B/D - it's the G that's the most obvious in its twanginess to me. There's also a short Kapustin excerpt where that bottom G sounds 3 times - jumps out a mile to me.

If someone can take a listen I'd appreciate their thoughts.

Thanks all

Concert D sample clip - bottom G twang

C
C
Yep - definitely hearing a metallic 'twang' on that note. Unfortunately the Ivory engine is locked for "under the hood" sample tweaking, unlike many Kontakt based pianos where you can simply remove the sample in the mapping editor and stretch a neighbouring sample over the offending note.

Pianist, Composer & Arranger
H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

@jwpiano80, Welcome to this forum.

I listened to your clip multiple times, using quality HiFi equipment.

Usually I am very sensitive to problems such as you describe. Yet, in your clip, nothing strikes me as extremely off.

I do hear timbre differences, where the Cs in the F-A-C sequences sound the most different from the rest--being duller/less metallic sounding than the other five notes. This could be in the sampling/scripting or in your fingering.

Given that in this clip the G you are worrying about follows that C, *in contrast* it is brighter than that C. But as said, the C sounds more different than the rest to me--in the duller direction.

The little jazzy snippet is too busy to make out anything useful.

Hope this helps!

Cheers and happy playing,

HZ

J
OP Offline
J
Hello thanks for the welcome and replies. It's disappointing that there's no facility to 'correct' anything in this instrument but I'm somewhat relieved that it's not my ears

Last edited by jwpiano80; 09/25/21 08:01 AM.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
It's probably a quirk in the Steinway piano that came out during the sampling session, which is usually automated robotic recording of single key samples in 20+ velocity layers. The grand piano would probably not sound that way when played by a human with normal music. A human pianist would also compensate for slight regulation differences, while you are just triggering samples by MIDI.

That's why when creating a digital piano, flawed samples like these need to be thrown away, because they obviously ruin the entire mix. This is what Yamaha did for the CFX (recorded in an anechoic chamber) stored in the N1X and Ivory did not.

Conclusion: You purchased a flawed product.

Yamaha P-515
J
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by JoeT
It's probably a quirk in the Steinway piano that came out during the sampling session, which is usually automated robotic recording of single key samples in 20+ velocity layers. The grand piano would probably not sound that way when played by a human with normal music. A human pianist would also compensate for slight regulation differences, while you are just triggering samples by MIDI.

That's why when creating a digital piano, flawed samples like these need to be thrown away, because they obviously ruin the entire mix. This is what Yamaha did for the CFX (recorded in an anechoic chamber) stored in the N1X and Ivory did not.

Conclusion: You purchased a flawed product.

VSL definitely have a piano robot that plays the keys, but Synthogy don't - in the manual there are credited pianists Janice Weber and Joe Ierardi for the various recording sessions.

Also in this video
Joe demonstrates the process, I would have assumed this would be automated but seemingly not with this company.

Either way, the flawed product point stands. I suppose I can still use it for pieces that don't use bottom G crazy

A
A
I too was disappointed with this piano. However, if you try to play it exclusively in una corda mode, you may find it interesting and even inspiring. Besides, any piano has imperfections, and sometimes the positive features of it may screen the imperfections.

Last edited by Andrew_G; 09/25/21 12:22 PM.
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
To me hearing that(which sound awful) I could describe it as a large diaphragm mic off-axis to the sound source. Large diaphragm mics off-axis response gets extremely uneven and they are known to exaggerate the harmonics of a source when off-axis.

Off-axis evenness is a characteristic small diaphragm mics have that large diaphragm mics don’t.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Factory silent options
by Gombessa - 01/26/22 11:23 AM
History of Yamaha U1 price
by VeritasNL - 01/26/22 10:25 AM
Where to find a concert grand to play
by Keyburn - 01/26/22 08:42 AM
17th Adilia Alieva International Music Competition
by Alex-Peter - 01/26/22 06:21 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics211,360
Posts3,164,070
Members104,170
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission