2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
62 members (Bett, DFx, camperbc, David B, cygnusdei, 8ude, 12 invisible), 1,064 guests, and 687 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
OP Offline
C
Problem with microphone
-------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a BEHRINGER XM2000S microphone and, for some reason, it doesn´t work with the ROLAND FP90 Piano.
The microphone is OK, for it works nicely when connected, for instance, directly to the computer.

I am following the steps indicated in the manual.
1) Connect the mic in the "Mic - Input" socket.
2) Play with the mic gain wheel (in the rear).
3) Play with the mic volume slider (in the front).

But I don´t get any signal at all.
Am I doing something wrong?
Is there any specification as to what kind of microphones can be used with the ROLAND FP90.

Many thanks for your help.

------------------------
Here you can download a pdf with the specifications of my microphone:
https://www.google.es/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjGvrqujZjzAhURA2MBHUZnBtIQFnoECAMQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fdarkbox.ch%2Fimages%2Fpdf%2Fbehringerxm2000st.pdf&usg=AOvVaw1oDDkHRfXH0iYWgZx5Cpi-

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by colicofrenetico
Problem with microphone
-------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a BEHRINGER XM2000S microphone and, for some reason, it doesn´t work with the ROLAND FP90 Piano.
The microphone is OK, for it works nicely when connected, for instance, directly to the computer.

I am following the steps indicated in the manual.
1) Connect the mic in the "Mic - Input" socket.
2) Play with the mic gain wheel (in the rear).
3) Play with the mic volume slider (in the front).

But I don´t get any signal at all.
Am I doing something wrong?
Is there any specification as to what kind of microphones can be used with the ROLAND FP90.

------------------------
Here you can download a pdf with the specifications of my microphone:
https://www.google.es/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjGvrqujZjzAhURA2MBHUZnBtIQFnoECAMQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fdarkbox.ch%2Fimages%2Fpdf%2Fbehringerxm2000st.pdf&usg=AOvVaw1oDDkHRfXH0iYWgZx5Cpi-

The mic's output is balanced but the Roland input appears to be unbalanced

C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by emenelton
The mic's output is balanced but the Roland input appears to be unbalanced

So, how could I fix it? (I am quite at a loss when it comes to balanced and unbalanced cables).
Maybe there is an adaptor or something so for this cases?

Last edited by colicofrenetico; 09/24/21 11:39 PM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
When there are problems with an audio connection between a device that supports balanced signaling ( 3-wire) and a device that supports unbalanced signaling ( 2-wire), questions arise, namely, does the balanced side also support unbalanced operation; what kind of cable, specifically, is connecting your mic and dp ?

A balanced device usually presents an XLR receptacle * and an unbalanced device often presents a 1/4 inch receptacle. In the case of your mic, is the cable detachable or fixed?

* some balanced devices are compatible with unbalanced devices (with the use of a suitable cable) because they have a receptacle that can accept either a 3-wire XLR plug OR they can accept a 1/4 inch plug that inserts into the center of the receptacle. A typical example: a DP with unbalanced 1/4 inch line outputs connected to monitors that support balanced and unbalanced connections.

Your mic - an input device - is probably an older model .... I do not find it listed at Behringer’s support page.

Last edited by drewr; 09/25/21 01:04 AM.

- Kawai MP7 and LSR308 monitors
- Roland HP-508
- DT770 Pro-80 and MDR-7506 phones
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
FWIW --

The XM2000s is a dynamic mic with a 3-pin balanced male XLR (ground, "-", and "+") output.

You'll need an adapter cable, with a female XLR plug (socket?) for the XM2000s, and a 1/4" "TS" (monophonic -- tip / sleeve) phone plug for the Roland --

. . . that's a standard music-store item, and widely available.

The wiring is:

. . . XLR 1/4"

. . . "+" tip
. . . "-" sleeve
. . . ground not connected

(I'm not sure about that, people might connect both "-" and "ground" to "sleeve".)

A question:

. . . What kind of cable is connecting the mic and DP,
. . . . that doesn't work ?

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq
C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by drewr
When there are problems with an audio connection between a device that supports balanced signaling ( 3-wire) and a device that supports unbalanced signaling ( 2-wire), questions arise, namely, does the balanced side also support unbalanced operation; what kind of cable, specifically, is connecting your mic and dp ?

A balanced device usually presents an XLR receptacle * and an unbalanced device often presents a 1/4 inch receptacle. In the case of your mic, is the cable detachable or fixed?

* some balanced devices are compatible with unbalanced devices (with the use of a suitable cable) because they have a receptacle that can accept either a 3-wire XLR plug OR they can accept a 1/4 inch plug that inserts into the center of the receptacle. A typical example: a DP with unbalanced 1/4 inch line outputs connected to monitors that support balanced and unbalanced connections.

Your mic - an input device - is probably an older model .... I do not find it listed at Behringer’s support page.

Hi there, drewr.

Yes, the mic is very old. It has more than 20 years.
The mic itself has a XLR male output. Then there is a cable that goes from XLR female to TRS 3.5 mm male.
That TRS 3.5 mm male is what I connect to the piano (via an stereo adapter to 6.3 mm).

The piano doesn´t have any XLR socket, only 6.3 mm, so I guess all its sockets are unbalanced.

So, I´ll try to get an adaptor from TRS 3.5 mm female to TS (mono) 6.3 mm male to see if that works...

C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by Charles Cohen
FWIW --

The XM2000s is a dynamic mic with a 3-pin balanced male XLR (ground, "-", and "+") output.

You'll need an adapter cable, with a female XLR plug (socket?) for the XM2000s, and a 1/4" "TS" (monophonic -- tip / sleeve) phone plug for the Roland --

. . . that's a standard music-store item, and widely available.

The wiring is:

. . . XLR 1/4"

. . . "+" tip
. . . "-" sleeve
. . . ground not connected

(I'm not sure about that, people might connect both "-" and "ground" to "sleeve".)

A question:

. . . What kind of cable is connecting the mic and DP,
. . . . that doesn't work ?

Hi there, Charles Cohen.
Many thanks for your answer.

If I understand you right, you mean this kind of cable.

The mic itself has a XLR male output. Then there is a cable that goes from XLR female to TRS 3.5 mm male. That TRS 3.5 mm male is what I connect to the piano (via an stereo adapter to 6.3 mm).

I would prefer to keep using the cable I have instead of buying a new (long and not balanced) one.
So, I was thinking about making the change from 3 pins to 2 pins at the other end of my cable, this is in the TRS 3.5 mm male. Perhaps with an adapter (TRS 3.5 mm female to TS -mono- 6.3 male). I´ll try to find something so.
Many thanks once again for your help.

Last edited by colicofrenetico; 09/25/21 03:35 AM.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
The mic itself has a XLR male output. Then there is a cable that goes from XLR female to TRS 3.5 mm male.

The ring of the TRS 3.5 mm socket has bias voltage for electret capsules used in computer microphones. You shouldn't put that voltage on a dynamic microphone. Always use TS connectors for unbalanced operation.

Yamaha P-515
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi there, drewr.

Yes, the mic is very old. It has more than 20 years.
That TRS 3.5 mm male is what I connect to the piano (via an stereo adapter to 6.3 mm).

The piano doesn´t have any XLR socket, only 6.3 mm, so I guess all its sockets are unbalanced.

So, I´ll try to get an adaptor from TRS 3.5 mm female to TS (mono) 6.3 mm male to see if that works...

What you call 6.3mm we call 1/4 inch.

Ideally, you want a cable that is XLR female on one end and 1/4 inch male TS on the other end ..... if you want to use adapters from TRS 1/8 inch to TS 1/4 inch, this should work but it does add a bit more signal loss between the Mic and dp.

- Kawai MP7 and LSR308 monitors
- Roland HP-508
- DT770 Pro-80 and MDR-7506 phones
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
I just checked the manual (p. 14). Three things:

(a) The picture of the mic and cable shows a "TS" connector (no bias), not a "TRS". So it's what I think of, as a "karaoke mic".

(b) There are _two_ mic gain controls -- one "Mic (Gain)" on the back panel (rotary), and one slider ("Mic Vol") on the front panel.

(c) There's a front-panel "Mic" button or light -- no explanation.

It wouldn't be the first time that there were two gain controls, and one of them was set to zero. Or an on/off switch, and it was set to "off".

. Charles
C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by Charles Cohen
I just checked the manual (p. 14). Three things:

(a) The picture of the mic and cable shows a "TS" connector (no bias), not a "TRS". So it's what I think of, as a "karaoke mic".

(b) There are _two_ mic gain controls -- one "Mic (Gain)" on the back panel (rotary), and one slider ("Mic Vol") on the front panel.

(c) There's a front-panel "Mic" button or light -- no explanation.

It wouldn't be the first time that there were two gain controls, and one of them was set to zero. Or an on/off switch, and it was set to "off".

Many thanks, Charles.

Yes. I´ll get a mono adapter to see if that fixes the problem.

Yes, I made sure both the rotary gain in the rear and the slider in the front were at maximum (and then played with them in every possible combination, just in case and to try to hear if there was any signal at all).

That "Mic" button is for adding effects to the microphone.

C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
. . .

I don't think so. My Spanish is weak, but I think that cable converts _balanced_ XLR input, to _balanced_ TRS (or vice versa).

I think you need something that converts _balanced_ XLR input to _unbalanced_ TS -- like this:

https://www.amazon.es/dp/B08BCKV5MB/

It is absurd that Roland doesn't specify _what kind of input_ that microphone jack requires.

. Charles
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
. . .

I don't think so. My Spanish is weak, but I think that cable converts _balanced_ XLR input, to _balanced_ TRS (or vice versa).

I think you need something that converts _balanced_ XLR input to _unbalanced_ TS -- like this:

https://www.amazon.es/dp/B08BCKV5MB/

It is absurd that Roland doesn't specify _what kind of input_ that microphone jack requires.

. Charles
R
R
They fixed the omission in the FP_90X Manual

“Mic Input jack
Connect the dynamic microphone (sold separately) here. This is a 1/4” phone (unbalanced) jack.”

I assume the microphone input is identical in FP-90 and FP-90X.

Phil
Roland FP-90 ,Kawai KX-10, Pianoteq 5.0
Roland FP-90x

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
Our Fall 2021 Free Newsletter is Out , see it here!
---------------------
Selling my Hammond & Leslie!
---------------------
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Modern U where is the sample folder located?
by MooganDavid - 10/25/21 11:33 PM
Introduction post
by An Old Square - 10/25/21 08:54 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,743
Posts3,142,040
Members103,116
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission