2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Week Deals
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
69 members (Baltguy, ambrozy, APianistHasNoName, Abdol, accordeur, An Old Square, Beansparrow, 19 invisible), 675 guests, and 901 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3158440 09/21/21 03:22 PM
A
OP Offline
A
Please forgive me if this has been discussed recently, when doing a forum search I only found an old, short thread on Misprints.

Today I was playing Prelude No. 12 (F minor) from my brand-new WTC II book and found no less than 3 notes in that one prelude that differ from the IMSLP version I had printed and had been working from. Those spots sounded weird to me so I compared the two scores and found the discrepancies. It is difficult enough playing Bach without learning wrong notes. How is an ordinary non-expert like me supposed to know which are the RIGHT ones? cry

Where do you look for answers when you encounter misprints?

Chickering Console
Working on:
Bach WTC II Prelude/Fugue XII in F minor

“Truly there would be reason to go mad were it not for music.” – Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky
S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
You have to be more precise. Which are the 2 versions you are using. Some older versions are (but not always) less reliable than newer ones. It depends what the discrepencies are. It can be based on different sources, or editors may have made engraving errors or made corrections or there were errors which they did not correct (more rarely with Bach).

A
OP Offline
A
Thanks for responding, Sidokar. I wasn't really expecting anyone to solve this particular problem for me, rather asking where you look for answers in a similar situation, but here goes (one of these days I will learn how to include a picture of the actual score for such things). My new WTC II is Schirmer (Czerny, copyright date 1893). I'm not really sure what I printed from IMSLP. blush

Measure 34 (5 after first repeat sign), treble clef, alto part:
2nd 8th note is G flat in Schirmer, G natural in IMSLP version. I am assuming it should be the natural since it was not flatted previously and G is natural in the key signature.

Measure 57, treble clef:
4th 16th note is G natural in Schirmer, F natural in IMSLP. The F sounds right to me.

Measure 68, treble clef:
4th 16th note is B flat in Schirmer, A flat in IMSLP. The A flat sounds right to me.

Thanks for your help!

Chickering Console
Working on:

“Truly there would be reason to go mad were it not for music.” – Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I had similar problems with Bach pieces before. Once I downloaded a copy of the "Air" from French Suite #2 from Virtual Sheet Music. I found several notes that differ from a copy off IMSLP. Assuming that 1 version is correct, watched some YouTube performances and they agreed that the iMSLP was the correct version. The copy from Virtual Sheet Music was probably done by somebody re-entering the notes into a notation program and wasn't careful checking if all the notes are correct.

I have a copy of a piano arrangement from a Bach orchestral piece. There is 1 spot with the discrepancy between a D & D#. There are YouTube videos to check the specific spot and there is an original orchestral score from IMSLP.

The easiest is to listen to performance videos from YouTube and follow along with the score. A piece like Invention #13 in Am I found 1 spot where some online recordings have an A and others have an A#. Have to assume both versions are acceptable.

S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Adagiette
Thanks for responding, Sidokar. I wasn't really expecting anyone to solve this particular problem for me, rather asking where you look for answers in a similar situation, but here goes (one of these days I will learn how to include a picture of the actual score for such things). My new WTC II is Schirmer (Czerny, copyright date 1893). I'm not really sure what I printed from IMSLP. blush

Measure 34 (5 after first repeat sign), treble clef, alto part:
2nd 8th note is G flat in Schirmer, G natural in IMSLP version. I am assuming it should be the natural since it was not flatted previously and G is natural in the key signature.

Measure 57, treble clef:
4th 16th note is G natural in Schirmer, F natural in IMSLP. The F sounds right to me.

Measure 68, treble clef:
4th 16th note is B flat in Schirmer, A flat in IMSLP. The A flat sounds right to me.

Thanks for your help!

Ok. Your bar numbers are unhapilly incorrect. You are talking about bar 32, 55 and 66 as one does not count bars with an anacrusis.

I have both the New Henle and the Durr version which are the 2 reference version today. So it is G flat, F natural and A flat.

I would suggest you do not use the Czerny as it is a very old version, completely outdated by now. It is an interesting one as one of the earliest printed (the Schirmer is a reprint from the original Peters edition), but as a base for playing, it is not very reliable.

On Imslp you have at least 2 versions which are recent, the Durr and the Keller. In the old ones Bishoff or Kroll are good but being older, they may have some errors.

In the case of the wtc2, there are multiple sources and manuscripts, so any version is always a trade off between those. If a note seems peculiar, then you should check against a reference version. Then it is a question of understanding the harmonic context to decide if the note seems right.

A
OP Offline
A
Thank you both for your suggestions! smile

Chickering Console
Working on:

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Ned Rorem
by Steveskates - 12/01/21 09:00 PM
When Pianist and Piano Rebuilder Get together
by Chernobieff Piano - 12/01/21 08:51 PM
Regulating a digital piano advice needed
by Purdy - 12/01/21 06:06 PM
WNG Portable Piano pounder.
by jkess114 - 12/01/21 05:16 PM
Talking while playing
by wg73 - 12/01/21 03:19 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics210,340
Posts3,150,093
Members103,487
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission