2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
64 members (btcomm, bobrunyan, brdwyguy, Calikokat, Ben T., Chris Pringle, Brendan, bluebilly, 12 invisible), 1,222 guests, and 694 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3158458 09/21/21 05:22 PM
M
OP Offline
M
I have the Henle edition of the Nocturnes, and I'm puzzled by what seem like ties between the left hand chords in measure 37, 39, and 40. Every recording I've listened to does NOT play these chords with ties, which is a relief, because when I tried to play them with ties, the long gaps don't sound right. Maybe I'm just an idiot, and don't know how to distinguish ties from slurs. If there's anybody else out there with the Henle, can you confirm or deny that their printing of these measures is (or is not) a bit confusing? Thanks!

1994 M&H BB; Yamaha N1X
M
OP Offline
M
Also the same confusion in measure 58.

1994 M&H BB; Yamaha N1X
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mark Alexander
Maybe I'm just an idiot

You're not. grin

It's a great question.

Maybe I'm an idiot, because even though this is one of my most favorite pieces and I've played it for 100 years, I never noticed that those chords have what look like "ties." I've always thought them to be slurs, which indeed I think they are but I never realized that they look like ties and that therefore there's a question at hand.
Probably the reason I never noticed or wondered, and just 'assumed,' was that every performance I had ever heard did them as slurs.

When I saw your post, I wondered if maybe the ones that cover just 2 chords are indeed supposed to be ties -- i.e. ties of the upper note. (The ones covering more chords seem more obviously to be slurs.)
I realized it's possible that some or many performances do tie that upper note and that I didn't notice -- so, I went and checked out one recording (that was as much 'research' as I had in me) grin to see if he did that.
("He" in this case being Rubinstein.)

He didn't. He played the 2-note things as slurs too.
It's possible that some people might do those as ties. But we're on solid ground considering them all just slurs.

C
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
C
Take a look at the Mikuli edition. (If I'm looking at the same thing) Bar 37 has a tie, but subsequently the slurs are purposefully drawn over the repeated triads so as not to be confused with ties.

(I don't know why the Mikuli edition seems to carry less weight than say, the Paderewski. But Mikuli was Chopin's pupil!)

Originally Posted by cygnusdei
Take a look at the Mikuli edition. (If I'm looking at the same thing) Bar 37 has a tie....

I think that's a slur too.

(It's exactly what I was talking about up there.)

S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
The Henle edition seems to notate the same way the slurs and the ties. In any case in the National Edition, they do make the diffetence between slurs and ties and in those bars they indicate slurs. In addition they have put a specific comment that the upper notes should be repeated.

P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
I do not play those chords as ties. This section in Ab Major has a syncopated rhythm which is brought out by these repeated chords. I took a few lessons on this piece and my teacher did not correct my interpretation. I also have the Henle edition.

Originally Posted by Sidokar
The Henle edition seems to notate the same way the slurs and the ties. In any case in the National Edition, they do make the difference between slurs and ties and in those bars they indicate slurs.....

From what I've seen, I don't think they show a difference. I'll put it this way: Those things that you consider to be ties and not slurs, how would they be written if they were slurs??

I would say they would be written the same way -- essentially.
Maybe what you mean is that the curved line going from top note to top note, rather than 'around the edges' of the top notes.
I don't consider that a clear distinction. I mean, if I were doing the typesetting, indeed I'd make the curved lines different according to whether I mean a tie or a slur (!) but I don't assume that music publishers do, nor that composers necessarily do.

C
C
The Wiener Urtext Edition clearly states that the D flats in bars 37, 39, 40, and 41 "should be struck again."

S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Mark_C
The Henle edition seems to notate the same way the slurs and the ties. In any case in the National Edition, they do make the difference between slurs and ties and in those bars they indicate slurs.....

From what I've seen, I don't think they show a difference. I'll put it this way: Those things that you consider to be ties and not slurs, how would they be written if they were slurs??

I would say they would be written the same way -- essentially.
Maybe what you mean is that the curved line going from top note to top note, rather than 'around the edges' of the top notes.
I don't consider that a clear distinction. I mean, if I were doing the typesetting, indeed I'd make the curved lines different according to whether I mean a tie or a slur (!) but I don't assume that music publishers do, nor that composers necessarily do.

Yes in the National Edition, the difference is quite clear. The ties go from the center of the note head; the slurs go all around the note. There are several cases of ties in the same piece and it is very easy to see the difference. Now that is not necessarily the printing model of other publishers like Henle who does not differentiate. Similarly there are also publishers who have decided to not make differences between dots and strokes and other who do. Each publisher has its own editing and printing models.

Yes in the National Edition, the difference is quite clear. The ties go from the center of the note head; the slurs go all around the note....

OK -- now we're going to be arguing about what a particular edition says!

Which just goes to show something or other, and I think I'd rather not know what. grin

I'm looking right at the National Edition!
And it has it differently than you're saying. Those lines don't go from head to head.

And not only that, but also this:
That line going across those notes has asterisks (in m. 37) indicating a footnote at the bottom of the page, saying "the upper notes are repeated" -- i.e. it is not a tie.

However, in fairness to you.....I have to also say:

This might be a different National Edition. ha
I mean, it says National Edition, looks exactly like it, and it's bound exactly like it, and it says "Edited by Jan Ekier," and it has a page with stuff by him at the beginning of the book, with a nice photo of him.
But, it's different than all my other National Edition volumes in that some of the writing is in some Asian language.

So maybe that's it: it's an Asian printing of the National Edition?

Well anyway, it's some version of the National Edition -- and it has it as I described.
Whoever did this National Edition interpreted those lines as slurs.
As I said, I'd interpret them as slurs even if the lines went "head to head" -- but these don't.

S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
I am not sure we understand each other. What I am saying is that the National Edition is making a difference in the way they print slurs and ties unlike some others editors. In bar 37 they did notate a slur with indeed the asterisk and the footnote, which I mentionned in my earlier post.

So I think we both agree that in bar 37 and subsequent similar, it is a slur. However if you look at bar 42-43 there is a chord with ties that go across the bar line and these ties are clearly notated with a different model than slurs, where the tie is going from the center of the note head.

It is the same in the rest of the piece. So NE has a different way to notate slurs and ties in a more precise way; in bar 37 those are slurs and in bar 42 they are ties. Other editors dont make any difference and thus it is up to the pianist to decide which is which. For example Henle who is notating exactly the same way.

There are pros and cons in making a difference or not, just like some editors dont make a difference between dots and strokes, so Henle is not wrong. It is an editorial choice.

I am not sure we understand each other....

Yes -- that's on me....

....we both agree that in bar 37 and subsequent similar, it is a slur....

I thought you were referring to places like m. 37 when you talked about "head to head" lines.

However if you look at bar 42-43 there is a chord with ties that go across the bar line and these ties are clearly notated with a different model than slurs....

Sure, those kinds of places in the passages are ties, but I didn't think we were much talking about them because they're not in question, and they're of a pretty different sort.

So yes -- we agree on how all these things should be played.
But I don't agree that we can necessarily tell from how the figures are marked, i.e. from whether the lines go "head to head" or not.
I wouldn't assume that the "typesetting" (or manuscript copying) is necessarily that precise.

M
OP Offline
M
Thanks, all, for the very interesting replies. I may still be an idiot, but with your help, my level of idiocy is being reduced gradually.

1994 M&H BB; Yamaha N1X
J
Online Content
J
Just to note that, in situations like this, it can be helpful to consult the remarkable Online Chopin Variorum Edition, which allows you to see at a glance all of the extant primary sources (autograph manuscripts, copyist manuscripts, first editions) for any given measure or group of measures in almost all of Chopin's works.

This link might take you directly to measure 37, where Chopin's notation in one of his autograph manuscripts suggests a slur (by virtue of beginning well before the first dyad, and finishing well after it). The English first edition (based on a now-lost autograph manuscript) extends the slur all from the first note to the fourth note of the LH - so the ambiguity about what Chopin meant can go in the opposite direction.

Chopin op. 62 no. 1 bar 37 OCVE

Jeff Kallberg

M
OP Offline
M
Jeff, thanks for that link! Fascinating stuff. I like Chopin's own notation; it seem pretty clear to me.

Last edited by Mark Alexander; 09/22/21 02:47 PM.

1994 M&H BB; Yamaha N1X
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'm confused perhaps, but if Chopin didn't mean the notes to be repeated, wouldn't he simply notate them as half notes rather quarter notes?

August Förster 215
My understanding is if two identical notes are connected by the curved line this automatically means the notes are tied. If the two notes are different, then it's a slur. And if I understand Jeff Kallberg's post correctly, it shows there's a simple mistake in many editions, including Henle. Is all this correct?

J
Online Content
J
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
My understanding is if two identical notes are connected by the curved line this automatically means the notes are tied. If the two notes are different, then it's a slur. And if I understand Jeff Kallberg's post correctly, it shows there's a simple mistake in many editions, including Henle. Is all this correct?

I didn't mean to suggest that there was a mistake in many editions. In my view, Chopin intended the signs to be read as "slurs" (here, given that the notes are repeated from dyad to dyad, meaning that the pianist should try to minimize the gap between playing the dyads, giving the impression of "connecting" them in the way of a slur).

C
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
C
I believe the piano part of Elgar's Salut d'Amour, Op. 12 has a motif with similar rhythm and articulation, and it looks like he solved the ambiguity of slur vs tie twofold: (1) reversing the stems, so the slurs do not face the noteheads, and (2) explicitly marking the first and second groups with tenuto and portato signs, so there is no doubt that the second group is to be played.

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
Selling Hammond D100 (think B3) Organ & Leslie HL722!
---------------------
Our Fall 2021 Free Newsletter is Out , see it here!
---------------------
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Marlowe Sigal Museum
by Maximillyan - 10/27/21 09:08 AM
Pianoteq stage 7 for sale
by meghdad - 10/27/21 08:03 AM
'market place' ?
by idg - 10/27/21 05:43 AM
Floor space: can I dream of a grand?
by xlider - 10/27/21 02:34 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,765
Posts3,142,289
Members103,127
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission