2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
81 members (Ben Crosland, anotherscott, Berit, Andrew E., Afdent11, Alfred La Fleur, accordeur, AWilley, 13 invisible), 1,602 guests, and 542 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
PaJaC Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi,

In the near future I will be able to afford a normal digital piano (previously I could only play on a MIDI controller). I am only interested in classical music and the best reproduction of the feeling of playing the grand piano. I cared about Kawai CA79 the most, but the opinions of users on the forum put me off from it. The company does not listen to customers, does not fix faults + sometimes there are problems with the keys. Yamaha only have white wooden keys, and I have no idea about Casio. I know Kawai has the best piano key imitation of all instruments. Can anyone help me with the choice? I will also be very grateful for your opinion on Casio pianos at the prices given smile Of course, I live in Europe so I can buy any single model available on sale.

H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

@PaJaC, Let this forum inform you, but not overwhelm and put you off from choices that you feel best yourself. There are a lot of *opinions* going on which may, and will, differ from your own needs, taste, and judgment.

As always, the adagium is to thoroughly try instruments yourself before selecting the one that suits you most.

As for Casio, their GP-310 fits your budget and has a fully wooden keybed that should be very nice to play. The sounds are said to be somewhat behind other manufacturers, but it is essential for you to decide that with your own ears.

As for Kawai, yes, their attitude worries me as well. On the other hand, they seem to make a few really nice instruments, the CA79/99 being among those.

I am not that familiar with Yamaha's offerings in your price category.

In any case, switching from a controller to one of these pianos will be quite a marked step-up, happy days!

Cheers and happy further research,

HZ

PaJaC Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you for the information. I'm not going to discourage anyone from Kawai, I'm just writing about what you can find on the forum. As for playing; I can say what I prefer, but in the future I would rather collect money for an acoustic grand piano and I would like this transition to be as smooth as possible without much surprise. Also, I have no idea which keyboard has a better imitation of a real grand piano

H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

@PaJaC, The naked truth is that none of the instruments in your price category truly resembles a grand piano action.

If that is your top priority, only instruments such as the Kawai NV-10S or Yamaha N1X will do. However these would need double your budget or even more.

At your price level, the Casio GP-310 and Kawai CA-79/99 may be the best options as far as the playing feel is concerned. Nice as these may be, they are not fully resembling a grand piano action. But--at least a lot closer than a generic MIDI controller.

Keep in mind that switching pianos will always require some adjustment/relearning, this is just as true when switching from one acoustic (grand) piano to another as it is from a digital to an acoustic.

Cheers and happy further research,

HZ

PaJaC Offline OP
OP Offline
I understand everything. :-) So the choice among us is based mainly on Casio VS Kawai in this budget. In that case, I would like to ask a wider group for an opinion and compare these models to each other, as it is over time (what has changed for both over time)

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
So you've already ruled out Yamaha? If I didn't know anything about specific models and if I were only thinking about brands, Yamaha would be my first choice.
Originally Posted by PaJaC
I understand everything. :-) So the choice among us is based mainly on Casio VS Kawai in this budget. In that case, I would like to ask a wider group for an opinion and compare these models to each other, as it is over time (what has changed for both over time)

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member

Haven't followed the thread to see why you excluded Yamaha, but in that price range I'd mostly go for a Yamaha. The CLP-range is IMO the most balanced in terms of various features.

P.P. Mac^3 beat me to it.

Last edited by CyberGene; 09/21/21 03:17 AM.

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
PaJaC Offline OP
OP Offline
I ruled it out for not having a fully wooden keyboard. Maybe wrong, but for the money it would be appropriate to have wooden keys

H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

Originally Posted by HZPiano
I am not that familiar with Yamaha's offerings in your price category.

HZ

As for my part in the conversation thus far, this is all the ruling I did, no more, no less!

So then, @CyberGene, which specific Yamaha would @PaJaC need to consider in a direct parallel to the already mentioned Casio and Kawai CAs, and given his/her needs and wishes?

That would enrich my knowledge as well 🙂.

Cheers and happy further comparisons,

HZ

H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

Too late to edit post:

PS Personally, I would prefer all-wooden keys as well. As a preference. Personally.

HZ

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
IMO the wood doesn't make any difference. Whether it's a single wooden stick or a folded plastic action, the standard digital piano action affair is there.

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
PaJaC Offline OP
OP Offline
In Poland, Yamaha is firm on the market and the prices of instruments could surprise many of you. YAMAHA CLP-775 costs me $ 3600 and CSP-170 $ 3440

Following this as I’m toying with a similar decision.

For context, I’m a beginner and due to Covid I’ve now made a decision to sell off all my drum gear as I’m not planning on performing in public any time soon. I’ll put these funds in to upgrading my YDP164 and will focus my music time to piano learning (PCA is the current favourite).

Piano options are CA79 which is around £400 lower in price in the UK than the CLP775 which is also around the same price as the CA99.

I can get a CLP775 delivered right now or wait a few weeks for one of the Kawai models - none of which are in stock locally to try out so all options will need to be delivered and purchased blind. As a beginner I’ll need to evolve in to the piano anyway so I’m not overly concerned about not testing them beforehand.
Quality issues discussed on this forum are the only thing moving towards the CLP775 (785 is beyond budget) - would anyone still get a CA79/99 over the CLP775??

Yamaha YDP-164

There’s nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself. Johann Sebastian Bach
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Hi,

In the near future I will be able to afford a normal digital piano (previously I could only play on a MIDI controller). I am only interested in classical music and the best reproduction of the feeling of playing the grand piano. I cared about Kawai CA79 the most, but the opinions of users on the forum put me off from it. The company does not listen to customers, does not fix faults + sometimes there are problems with the keys. Yamaha only have white wooden keys, and I have no idea about Casio. I know Kawai has the best piano key imitation of all instruments. Can anyone help me with the choice? I will also be very grateful for your opinion on Casio pianos at the prices given smile Of course, I live in Europe so I can buy any single model available on sale.

I know that ‘we’ know nothing for certain but rather have very ‘strong opinions’.

Firstly, Kawai does listen to their customers, in my strong opinion.

Secondly, Kawai does not necessarily have ‘the best piano key imitation’, for this is just another strong opinion, but not a scientific fact. It’s a matter of preference, and whilst some like it hot, others don’t!

Thirdly, we can’t help you with a choice, but rather give you our own personal perspective on things, and maybe some info on specs vs. specs; that’s it!

Fourthly, your fingers, ears, and heart will ultimately help you decide for the ‘best’ instrument for you, and not what Gombessa believes -in his heart- to be the best brand/instrument (he’s biased towards Kawai). wink

P.S.

Although the above seems to be anchored in romanticism (go with your heart), I truly believe it holds up against the facts.

C
C
I highly recommend also adding Roland products to your top list if available in your country. Once you try them, you might actually be really surprised by their actions, sound, adjustability of sound parameters and the overall quality of their products. I believe their LX-706 is within your budget.

Last edited by Chris Pringle; 09/21/21 09:07 AM.
PaJaC Offline OP
OP Offline
One more VERY important thing. I would play on speakers, not headphones, so the sound quality from the speakers is the main aspect of the sound of the instrument in my case

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
Our Fall 2021 Free Newsletter is Out , see it here!
---------------------
Selling my Hammond & Leslie!
---------------------
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
What books do you use to teach music theory to beginners?
by chicagopiano1 - 10/18/21 06:13 PM
Kawai NV5 Hissing Sound
by Kend - 10/18/21 05:58 PM
Not a game but can be played
by FrankCox - 10/18/21 04:53 PM
Steve Droy - Piano Technology school (England)
by Tatum125s - 10/18/21 01:45 PM
Question for Canadians
by Albertan - 10/18/21 01:38 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,645
Posts3,140,542
Members103,043
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission