2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, brennbaer, accordeur, antune, anotherscott, 12 invisible), 1,725 guests, and 308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Originally Posted by fatar760
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Originally Posted by Moz-art
Why not 531/521/521...? It's way more comfortable...
The best fingering for most except those with very large hands. The whole fixation on playing that phrase with perfect legato and beyond awkward fingering is silly.

Would you like a broom for that large sweeping statement or.....?
I bet if you look at top pianists playing this passage none of them try to connect both notes marked with the slur. Some will probably use 531-531-521 to connect the lower two notes. There are so many more important things to be concerned with in this piece IMO the attempt at pure legato fingering is missing the forest for the trees.

My fingering suggestion worked around slurring the bottom two notes - I just don't think it's necessary to slur both as the ear won't hear it. It's also the most comfortable for my hand size.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I'd certainly be interested in seeing which fingering top pianists use if any footage exists.

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Rather than watching a video, what you would want to do is listen for whether the 3rds in the left hand are played legato, and if pedaling is used. If you insist on playing those notes legato with no use of pedal, then you have to decide how to accomplish that.

Fingering is a means to a goal, not the goal itself. We should choose an interpretation and then choose a fingering that supports the technical and interpretive objectives, not just automatically copy the fingering of another pianist.

I think there can be a discussion about whether a slur in the accompaniment implies mandatory legato or just articulative phrasing. I also think the slightest touch of the damper pedal after the C natural is played in the third group of triplets in the right hand can accomplish legato without a loss of clarity.

Reading Piano World with Javascript turned off (no logins, no ads, fast response times). I will receive PMs.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sweelinck
Rather than watching a video, what you would want to do is listen for whether the 3rds in the left hand are played legato, and if pedaling is used

Pretty sure we could watch and listen at the same time.

We should choose an interpretation and then choose a fingering that supports the technical and interpretive objectives, not just automatically copy the fingering of another pianist

No one here suggested copying anything.

I think there can be a discussion about whether a slur in the accompaniment implies mandatory legato or just articulative phrasing. I also think the slightest touch of the damper pedal after the C natural is played in the third group of triplets in the right hand can accomplish legato without a loss of clarity.

Possibly so, but the OP was asking whether we'd use their fingering suggestion, which invites others to offer their suggestions.

We can get into a more nuanced debate regarding articulation, pedalling, interpretation etc. but ultimately the question was based on hand shape and I would regard any uncomfortable/unbalanced stretches to be avoided and for the written articulation to be serviced as accurately as possible.

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
You are defining away the problem, which is to choose a fingering that best supports you meeting the technical and interpretive demands of the passage with your hands.

Reading Piano World with Javascript turned off (no logins, no ads, fast response times). I will receive PMs.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
You are defining away the problem, which is to choose a fingering that best supports you meeting the technical and interpretive demands of the passage with your hands.

I don't know what you mean by 'defining away the problem', but I offered my suggestion of fingering based on the bar that was provided.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,244
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission