2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (danno858, AlkansBookcase, dbudde, eleos, David B, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 13 invisible), 1,825 guests, and 295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3158040 09/20/21 08:09 AM
M
OP Offline
M
Hi all,

The Yamaha GT20 is the predecessor to the NU1X. There seems to not be much difference other than a lot of years between them in production.

Secondhand the GT20 is half the price of the NU1X (there are a couple I’ve seen in immaculate condition). Is it really worth paying double for the NU1X?

Best Wishes

Emma

E L
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
Several things to keep in mind:

First, in terms of the sound engine, the NU1X is vastly superior; however, if you plan on using VSTs this is irrelevant, and the GT20 will suffice in that area.

Second, I speculate that there’s not much -if any- difference in the action(s) between those two instruments, so you’re all set there as well.

Third, and this is the part that really worries me, the GT20 is super old, and unless it has been kept in a hyperbaric oxygen chamber, this age will show in terms of wear and tear that could potentially end up costing you thousands, and in a worst case scenario, some issues (fried motherboard) might not even be fixable because Yamaha most certainly does not have any spare parts for this instrument. It’s a gamble, the GT20. Place your bets!

P.S.

“Hyperbaric oxygen chamber” is used symbolically to reference ‘well maintained, well treated, and well kept; the term, HOC, should not be taken literally!

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
You might have instead said "hypobaric chamber". Those work quite well. smile
Originally Posted by Pete14
“Hyperbaric oxygen chamber” is used symbolically to reference ‘well maintained, well treated, and well kept; the term, HOC, should not be taken literally!

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
I recall there was some difference in the sensor system between the NU1 and NU1X (something about the continuous gradient system being different, or in the NU1X but not the NU1)?

In any case, HALF the price for an NU1X sounds like a ridiculously bad deal for a hybrid DP so old. Presumably, you're talking about $3000? For that price, I'd be looking for a used NU1X, or at the very least an NU1 or N1/N2...

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
I would not consider a piano this old.
Originally Posted by Music_with_emma
Secondhand the GT20 is half the price of the NU1X (there are a couple I’ve seen in immaculate condition). Is it really worth paying double for the NU1X?
Digital pianos age badly. And repairs are expensive. I would not consider any digital piano more than five years old. The one you're considering is over twenty years old, isn't it?

Also, note that "pristine condition" on the exterior means little. Nearly all the wear (and problems) are inside, not visible to inspection.

So, to answer your question "is it really worth paying double for the NU1X?", my answer is the same as Gombessa's. Yes to the NU1X, no to the GT20.

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
I agree with Gombessa. I think the GT20 was launched around 1997. You could be taking on significant problems at that age. At half the new price of the (vastly superior in terms of onboard sounds) NU1X it's criminally expensive.

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
I agree with the rest of the people here. But let me stress that there is a decent supply of used NU1x and especially NU1 which sell for about half the price of the NU1x. These two instruments have exactly the same action, which is close enough to Yamaha b-series uprights (and I have to say, they are very well made). If you go this route, you get a current (or close-to-current) instrument, which is just a few years old (e.g. I am selling my own NU1 at that "half price" and it is 5 year old in pristine INTERNAL and external conditions). So in my opinion used NU1(x) is the BEST option for you, provided that you are patient if there is no used one for sale next to you at the moment.

That said, I doubt that the GT20 will find any buyer, for exactly the same reason stated. As such, if I were you, and I tried the instrument (*) and I were satisfied with it (and perhaps have a technician inspect it), THEN I'd make a very lowball offer on it, such as 1/8 of the price of the NU1x. That may well be the only offer the seller get, and you may get the instrument. It's still a gamble and a risky purchase, but frankly I've seen many decades-old instruments working just fine -- and at 1/8 of the price it's a gamble that I'd make (in fact I made it in the past). At 1/2 or even 1/4 of the price I would not make such a gamble.

(*) trying the instrument means many things: first try playing something of your repertoire, especially something that challenges the instruments e.g. with repeated notes and/or with extreme and/or subtle dynamic changes. Then make sure EVERY SINGLE KEY works PERFECTLY at ALL the DYNAMICS, by doing that tedious one-note-at-the-time test. Chromatic scale if you want, but pay close attention to each key at each dynamic range, and do "slow single fingers" if your technique is not wonderful and effortless (otherwise your mental energy will be spent on playing, whereas it must be spent in analyzing if the the instrument responds correctly). Do it with and without the pedals. Each one of the pedals. I've seen countless instruments failing this test. If it fails this test, DO NOT BUY it. Unless you are very good at mechanics and electronics, have seen the service manual, and have the right clues on how to fix it. In such a case, the gamble is worse for you, so the price should go down even further, to 1/16 or even 1/32 depending on how bad the problem is. If you go that route (and I did myself in the past), point clearly the problem to the seller and be frank with them that you are making a gamble and you will have lots of expenses attempting to fix it and that you may be unable to fix it (which is true) and in such a case you will have wasted 100% of your money. The seller might have not known the instrument had a problem and its importance and if there are no other buyers (which is likely, unless the problem is very subtle and minor) they will probably accept your offer

Hope this helps

Last edited by Del Vento; 09/21/21 11:30 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission