2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Advanced Piano Tricks
Advanced Piano Tricks
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
89 members (36251, Blague, Animisha, Beemer, Anglagard44, anotherscott, aphexdisklavier, 18 invisible), 1,008 guests, and 391 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
The first thing to answer is what problem do you expect the new hammers to solve?

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
P
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
P
Who is to say that the original configuration was the best? Because it came from a factory?

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
www.seacoastpianodoctor.com
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK0T7_I_nV8
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
The main problems that I expect new hammers to solve is that the topmost hammers have worn down to the wood or glue, or that some of them have broken, come unglued, or gotten lost. Most pianos are never going to get new hammers, so I have to deal with them as I come across them.

As for deciding what is best, we do not really have good definitions of what is better or worse. But for the customer, it is often better economically to replace the piano, rather than the hammers. Economics is a thing!

Semipro Tech
E
OP Offline
E
Originally Posted by Ed McMorrow, RPT
The first thing to answer is what problem do you expect the new hammers to solve?

In my case, my Yamaha G7 had hammers which had been reshaped to death and I felt that new hammers were in order. But having read on here that replacement hammers must match the belly for good results (good sustain, non distorted tone, etc), I decided to solicit ideas from you.

P
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
P
Current Yamaha hammers would probably be a significant upgrade. Why not go with them?

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
E
OP Offline
E
Originally Posted by P W Grey
Current Yamaha hammers would probably be a significant upgrade. Why not go with them?

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

I am leaning towards getting WNG shanks and flanges and it would be convenient to order WNG hammers along with them and have the hammers hung by them

J
Online Content
J
Originally Posted by electone2007
I am leaning towards getting WNG shanks and flanges and it would be convenient to order WNG hammers along with them and have the hammers hung by them

Their hammers (Abel) are excellent and their hammer hanging is very good (the times I’ve used them at least). The only reason I considered them though is that I have an older M&H and wanted to use what came on newer M&H’s. They turned out better than I expected so I used them for some Steinway’s too. Otherwise I probably would have used Ronsen Wurzen or Weickert hammers.

W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
My experience, replacing only a dozen or so sets, was as described above. The original hammers were flat topped or reshaped to death. Mostly down to wood on the top octaves.

So using the originals for anything more that bore angles was futile. I learned that the Yamahas were extremely sensitive to strike point. I would only trust pre hung sets from Yamaha in those cases and personally hung otherwise. Position and angle to the strings, along with regulation and tail shape/back checking had more importance than any other factor.

Voicing could usually take care of tonality. In each case my customers were happy and their pianos were vastly improved over prior condition.

None of these were concert pianos or belonged to master performers. So my experience was limited to advanced home players.

-Bill L. - former tuner-technician
E
OP Offline
E
How does one order hammers from Yamaha? Is there a website?

P
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
P
You can call them on the phone. 800-854-1569 in California, USA

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
So what problems with how the piano plays and sounds do you want to solve?

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
E
OP Offline
E
Originally Posted by P W Grey
You can call them on the phone. 800-854-1569 in California, USA

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

Thank you!

E
OP Offline
E
So what problems with how the piano plays and sounds do you want to solve?

Honestly, I wouldn't know. So, what problems should one anticipate?

E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
Then why are you considering working on the piano? If there are no problems there should be no work done.

E
OP Offline
E
Then why are you considering working on the piano? If there are no problems there should be no work done.

As I said earlier, the hammers have been sanded to death. So the touch is very light and there's no felt to work with to voice it.

When I said I didn't know what problems to anticipate, it's in, er, anticipation. Problems that would arise if I chose the wrong kind or weight of hammers 'in relation' to the piano belly. How would I know which weight hammers to chose so that the sound would have nice sustain and not be distorted etc etc.

B
BDB Offline
B
It is what is done to the hammers after they are installed that makes the most difference.

Semipro Tech
E
OP Offline
E
Therefore it is safer to err on the side of heavier hammers and lighten them rather then getting too light hammers to begin with?

E
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by electone2007
Therefore it is safer to err on the side of heavier hammers and lighten them rather then getting too light hammers to begin with?

It is relatively easy to add weight to the existing set-up in order to know what your final balance weight, or down weight will be. Solder wrapped around a hammer shank and a digital scale will tell you what SW yields given DWwith the existing ratio. Then, a reputable hammer maker like Ronsen can send you a set of hammers that will match your findings. If you want to order a hammer that is 10% heavier to compensate for some filing, you can do that. Stanwood's SW tables are a fairly reliable guide to tell me what SW I am going to accept for a given size piano.

I will take 88 FW readings on an action before I start any of this, so that I will not be using a mock-up on an outlier FW when I begin making decisions on SW and/or ratio. There are also some FW limits I have come to trust, ie anytime A0 FW is over 40 grams, I know there are places to improve. I don't like to see a FW over 25 grams at C40, either.
Regards

E
OP Offline
E
Thank you so much for this! I will try with mini binder clips.

B
BDB Offline
B
One memorable experience I had was trying to un-modify a concert grand that had been modified with paper clips for one of the greatest pianists in the world who correctly felt it was not feeling right to him. I was afraid to remove the clips, because that might adversely affect the spring tension, so I just moved the clips closer to the knuckles. It took quite a while, but the artist was pleased. It stayed like that for some time before the clips got moved back, so for most pianists, it must have been unnoticeable.

Somewhere around here, I think I have a box of Jiffy Weights that I took off a piano. Going back to the original weighting improved that piano a lot.

Reweighing keys is not something I would do lightly. Given your lack of experience and knowledge, I would recommend that you just see if you can get new hammers and shanks from Yamaha. Believe it or not, their engineers actually know what they are doing when they designed the piano and action. There should not be that much difference between C3 and C3X hammers.

I have had good luck with reshaping, regulating, and aggressively voicing C3 hammers in recent years. The owners have been happy with them, for a lot less money that replacing the hammers, or the piano, as some of them were thinking of doing. One had the hammers replaced before, not very well, but it was sufficient to correct even those.

Semipro Tech
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Cambodia
by PhilipInChina - 01/21/22 12:03 AM
Hey y'all, here's my best solo recording
by An Old Square - 01/20/22 09:44 PM
PSR-E473
by waljbt74 - 01/20/22 09:26 PM
Info on pre 1990s Weinbach? (Petrof)
by monsieur souvlaki - 01/20/22 03:28 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!

Free Piano Lovers Newsletter is out now!
Piano News 2021 - 2022!
---------------------
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics211,271
Posts3,162,699
Members104,104
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission