2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
72 members (Carey, bobrunyan, brennbaer, brdwyguy, Anna Helena, btcomm, 8ude, 11 invisible), 1,112 guests, and 476 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
OP Offline
R
I can't believe that the CSP, especially the higher 170 does NOT include bluetooth. Is this a major oversight on Yamaha behalf? Because unlike all other digital pianos, the entire brains and features of the CSP line is contained not in the piano but in the smart device iPads or phones it connects to.

With current model IPADS & Android Tablets, connections using USB/Lightning ports are easy. However, a migration is underway at Apple towards magsafe wireless chargers and away from lightning ports.

Some IPADs will not even feature wired connection in the future. So while today and next 4 years there should be no issue to connect smart devices to the CSP 100 lineups, if you plan on selling or trading in your CSP 6-7+ years in the future, it could be a big crimp if the person then has no way to connect to the brains and essence of the CSP.

And no.....I do not consider telling someone to just use a 7 year old IPAD / Tablet an easy way around. Not everyone keeps those around that long, and even if they do it will likely be on last legs.

How many here would be willing to invest a couple thousand dollars in something that requires an iPhone 5 or earlier to operate? Something you can't even buy on the open retail market anymore.......

Am I missing something? Bluetooth for this particular piano line should have been mandatory!!

Could a Yamaha technician retrofit bluetooth into a digital piano if this becomes a bigger issue?

C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
You could buy a couple of Yamaha's USB Wi-Fi adapters with it. One for use and one for spare if the first one breaks and Yamaha has discontinued it by then.

R
OP Offline
R
Do the Yamaha usb wifi adaptors have the same effect as a bluetooth connection? Ie does it allow you to run the smart pianist interface and smart features on the piano?

For some reason I thought the wifi adaptor was just a way to allow other devices on the same wifi network to use the piano speakers to play its music.

Last edited by Raptors1995; 09/19/21 11:53 AM.
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Google:

bluetooth usb adapter

for a possible solution to this problem.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq
C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Raptors1995
Do the Yamaha usb wifi adaptors have the same effect as a bluetooth connection? Ie does it allow you to run the smart pianist interface and smart features on the piano?

Yamaha says:

Connect wirelessly for Smart Pianist

Smart Pianist App supports not only wired connection but also wireless connection via UD-WL01, Wi-Fi USB wireless LAN adaptor.

(From: https://fi.yamaha.com/fi/products/m...inova/csp-170/features.html#product-tabs)

I don't have a Yamaha CSP myself.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Perhaps this is a non-issue. When the piano is seven years old ... will anyone even want it? And anyway its resale value would be quite low even if it had bluetooth.

P
Online Content
P
With current model IPADS & Android Tablets, connections using USB/Lightning ports are easy. However, a migration is underway at Apple towards magsafe wireless chargers and away from lightning ports.

I think that may be true for the iPhone but I believe the iPad will retain a connector for some time. Apple has moved most iPads to usb-c.

But I do think the lightening port will disappear on iPhones.

I would not be surprised if the iPad gets another USB port in the future to be honest.

FP-90x, PX-330
T
T
I was surprised it didn’t have Bluetooth as well, but it makes a little more sense when looking at it in the context of a DP that was introduced in 2017. Apparently MIDI over Bluetooth (required for the Smart Pianist app) is a recent feature for Yamaha. Only the recently introduced CLP-700 series has it. The CVP-809, surprisingly, does not.

Waiting patiently for delivery of my Yamaha CLP-795 / Ordered 6 Sep 2021
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
« The CVP-809, surprisingly, does not. »

This does surprise me : the CVP-809 is made to be autonomous : a large display to make its function easy to access, built-in accompaniment…

and it is older than CLP700. Perhaps CVP90x will have a Bluetooth feature.

http://www.sinerj.org/
http://humeur-synthe.sinerj.org/
Yamaha CLP150, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
R
OP Offline
R
I was at the Apple store upgrading my wife's iPhone. I asked the technician there about the IPADs and moving away from cables and doing everything wireless. He said they are moving away from lightening ports and all will be USB-C pretty soon. He feels that eventually they will go completely wireless and magsafe pods will be the standard. But doesnt know when that will happen.

However, from "clothearednincompo" earlier post, about using the Yamaha USB Wifi adaptors to get around this problem .............I googled it and watched some youtube, and looks like those will take care of the problem.....

I still haven't gotten my CLP745 I ordered, but I do have a chance at a CSP170 that came in....hence my inquiry...

C
C
I recently bought a CSP-170 and the USB wireless LAN adapter (Yamaha UD-WL01) was supplied out of the box (in Australia) and works faultlessly with my iPad running Smart Pianist and my wireless access point (modem).

R
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by Captain Pragmatic
I recently bought a CSP-170 and the USB wireless LAN adapter (Yamaha UD-WL01) was supplied out of the box (in Australia) and works faultlessly with my iPad running Smart Pianist and my wireless access point (modem).

Captain.....i hope they do the same here in north america! will let you know.

How do you like your 170? How is the feel and action of the keys? Any regrets or feeling of things you miss that would have come with the CLP line instead?

R
OP Offline
R
Indeed.....Yamaha does deliver the UD-WL01 wireless adaptor with CSP170's in North American also!!!!!!

C
C
I'm sure I made the right choice in the 170 as I need all the (electronic) help I can get so that's why I went for the CSP over the CLP models. I learnt piano for two years as a kid and I'm now returning to it as a senior so I don't have enough experience to comment about the keys but from what I read it's a very authentic feel and I have no reason to disagree. The sound is impressive with my iPod! A great hi-fi system.

The music in Smart Pianist should be graded in order of difficulty. Also, it's over-weighted to the classics. A pity there aren't more evergreen standards. The backing tracks are very impressive.

I'm planning to sign up for Flowkey Premium and make use of the free trial period Yamaha provides with their product registration.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
Selling Hammond D100 (think B3) Organ & Leslie HL722!
---------------------
Our Fall 2021 Free Newsletter is Out , see it here!
---------------------
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Anyone in UK recognise this piece?
by Ian J - 10/28/21 08:44 AM
Are we due a ca lineup refresh?
by InspiredByKawai - 10/28/21 08:03 AM
Novel Piano - free piano VST from Steinberg
by EB5AGV - 10/28/21 03:38 AM
Classical Repertoire Suffering From Innovation
by Batuhan - 10/27/21 10:36 PM
Wormwith & Co Upright Piano Serial 6888
by Ilovemusicandpiano - 10/27/21 09:45 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,780
Posts3,142,501
Members103,142
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission