2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Week Deals
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
69 members (Baltguy, ambrozy, APianistHasNoName, Abdol, accordeur, An Old Square, Beansparrow, 19 invisible), 665 guests, and 901 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
OP Offline
S
I'm pretty set on the Yamaha CSP-170. There are a bunch of things that you can't get on CLP or need to pay premium for and the CVP is ugly and expensive.

Some of the things I like:

1. Over 700 voices. It lacks the latest samples of the CFX and Bosendorfer from the new CLP series, but the old samples are still good and then you get 600+ other high quality sounds included within the app. You can pay up and go for a CLP-785 and get 400+ voices but its way more expensive.
2. For what you get, it is really cheep. By outsourcing many of the advanced features to an app, and save on production cost of many expensive parts such as touch-screen controls and sound engines and what not, you only pay for the speakers, the keyboard and the cabinet.
3. Action is good enough for me. The action is lighter than that of the CLP-600 series. I believe its similar in lightness to the new CLP-700 series. Maybe someone can confirm this? I have never owned an acoustic and is not necessarily after an authentic acoustic feel. I need something that is good enough and not too heavy.
4. Follow the lights is a gimmick, but I have two kids age 3 and 5 that will soon be able to start learning and I imagine the fun factor of FTL and arranger-features might make them play longer and thus learn more.

Now to my concerns and questions:

1. How far off is a new CSP series? The current lineup came out in 2017 and I fear that they will release a new updated version soon. The old CLP also came out 2017 and a new lineup came out last year. Should I wait? What are the chances they cancel the series? Anyone heard any rumours of a new CSP series?
2. Do the wifi connector included allow me to steam music from Spotify to the Piano? Will the Yamaha be included in the list of available devices inside Spotify if the piano is connected to the home network? If so, do I have to have the piano on standby or will it turn on by itself like many other devices? As far as I'm aware, the 170 does not have bluetooth audio or midi, so this is quite important. Alternatively, can I plug in a google chromecast into the piano and stream music through that? Any owner experience? I've checked other threads but did not see any info on this.
3. If I save some settings in the app like brightness, reverb and touch response for one of the built in sounds like the CFX grand, will it be saved to the piano so that I don't have to connect to the app everytime I play? I like to have the ability just to sit down and play, and have a nice experience, without having to go look for a phone or tablet to get my desired settings for the default piano sounds. I know the piano supports registration memory, but I get the impression that it is only through the app.

R
R
I was in the same boat as you, but i was contrasting whether to go for a CSP150 or CLP745.

I too find the CVP line too expensive, not that attractive furniture wise, tons of buttons and dials, and 80% of the features i would not likely use (i dont write my own songs and backings, and do not sing).

So the CSP line was much more attractive.....pricewise and simplicity wise. But yet I have ordered the 745. I would rather have the features built into the piano, than an app, even if there are slightly less.

I do believe that the CSP170 has Bluettooth built in. in fact, i think that the bluetooth, wooden keys and better speakers comprise the improvements over the 150 model.

S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by Raptors1995
I was in the same boat as you, but i was contrasting whether to go for a CSP150 or CLP745.

I too find the CVP line too expensive, not that attractive furniture wise, tons of buttons and dials, and 80% of the features i would not likely use (i dont write my own songs and backings, and do not sing).

So the CSP line was much more attractive.....pricewise and simplicity wise. But yet I have ordered the 745. I would rather have the features built into the piano, than an app, even if there are slightly less.

I do believe that the CSP170 has Bluettooth built in. in fact, i think that the bluetooth, wooden keys and better speakers comprise the improvements over the 150 model.

Thanks for letting me know the 170 had bluetooth. Then I have a solid backup if the Wifi doesn't work the way I hope it will.
I know the CSP have at least 10 sounds or so built in, so that I can just turn the piano on and play the two main piano sounds and some nice electric piano and what not without connecting the app. But If I have to reconfigure the tone and touch every time I turn it on I kind of have to go look for a device anyway to be able to have a nice experience. It may be good enough but I would like to know before I make up my mind.

My main concern of a new CSP-200 series is what bugs me the most though. Im pretty sure that Yamaha will release a new version as soon as I've ordered the 170 and I miss out on new features or a huge pricedrop. Its still a nice piano I'm sure, but I would be so disappointed. Do they usually announce a new series before hand, or how does it work. Is there a convention or something that I can look forward to for new releases?

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
The fact that the CSP line of pianos cannot stand alone ... they need a phone or a tablet to complete them ... is dead no for me.

R
R
Originally Posted by snurrfint
I know the CSP have at least 10 sounds or so built in, so that I can just turn the piano on and play the two main piano sounds and some nice electric piano and what not without connecting the app.

Do they usually announce a new series before hand, or how does it work. Is there a convention or something that I can look forward to for new releases?

I had the same idea with the ten built in sounds being suffice for me ( i reallly dont care about a bunch of organs, harpsichords, and funky synthsizer sounds....only core grand, ambiant, bright and upright piano simulations). Great minds think alike i guess smile

And as for announcing a soon to be upgraded line......I am in IT, and i can tell you that there is something called the Osbourne Effect. Maybe you have heard about it. But particularly in High Tech, and i consider Digital Pianos to be that......you can not announce too early the exact dates and specifics about pending upgrades to your product lines. They usually keep this confidential as long as they possible can. Otherwise, if they spell out the dates and features to come months in advance, no one will want to buy the current models, especially not at the current price levels.

Once they make the announcement, they will likely discount the current one but i doubt that would happen anything more than weeks before they start taking orders for the new ones.

But in the current state of demand and the supply chain, i doubt that any big price drops would occur....even if the current CSP line is about to get upgraded...

R
R
I just want to add that I made a mistake in earlier post. Apparently the CSp170 does NOT have built in bluetooth :-0

T
T
I was surprised too when I realized the CSP line doesn’t have Bluetooth built in. Seems kind of necessary for a tablet/app driven device, doesn’t it? However, you can control many of the important functions (like selecting different voices, accompaniment styles, reverb effects, etc) using key combos similar to the way older CVPs used to function. If there are some features that are important to you to be able to access without an iPad, you can download a copy of the owner’s manual and look it up to see if there is a key combo shortcut.

Yamaha CLP-795 / Ordered 6 Sep 2021, Arrived 4 Nov 2021
S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by TexasBear
I was surprised too when I realized the CSP line doesn’t have Bluetooth built in. Seems kind of necessary for a tablet/app driven device, doesn’t it? However, you can control many of the important functions (like selecting different voices, accompaniment styles, reverb effects, etc) using key combos similar to the way older CVPs used to function. If there are some features that are important to you to be able to access without an iPad, you can download a copy of the owner’s manual and look it up to see if there is a key combo shortcut.

I've read the whole manual. Seems like you can set and save the touch response but not the brightness/lid position of the piano without connecting the app. I hope the touch is good enough for my needs. I have to try the piano out I guess to know for sure.

It's a bummer that there is no built in bluetooth. I don't mind at all honestly as long as the piano shows up as an availible device in spotify, or if I can connect a chromecast and have the music streaming through that. Is there anyone with a csp-170 and spotify that could try?

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Ned Rorem
by Steveskates - 12/01/21 09:00 PM
When Pianist and Piano Rebuilder Get together
by Chernobieff Piano - 12/01/21 08:51 PM
Regulating a digital piano advice needed
by Purdy - 12/01/21 06:06 PM
WNG Portable Piano pounder.
by jkess114 - 12/01/21 05:16 PM
Talking while playing
by wg73 - 12/01/21 03:19 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics210,340
Posts3,150,085
Members103,487
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission