2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
58 members (Abdol, ambrozy, Andrew E., accordeur, bsalad, Bill McKaig,RPT, chen, 13 invisible), 666 guests, and 461 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
A
Roland, Yamaha have their own audio system solutions. Here is one of them:

Yamaha MS45DR:

[Linked Image]

Roland also has similar setups. I didn't spend time researching the rest of them. A 2.1 (2X3"+10"-12" subwoofer) system will is super loud. I never dare to crank up the volume of my 5" monitors to anywhere more than 50%.

My 2 cents...

Kawai MP7SE, Yamaha MOTF XF6, Yamaha WX5, Yamaha Pacifica 112v
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Sweelinck
. . .

Yamaha DRX series have variable compressors builtin. You will lose substantial dynamic capability for piano solos. These are designed for vocals plus accompaniment.

Isn't there a way to turn off / bypass the compressor ?

Just because it's there, doesn't mean you have to use it.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq
S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
I assume you can. It is in the DSP tier. But the design center of these PAs is not as a keyboard amp.

P
P
I assume you can. It is in the DSP tier. But the design center of these PAs is not as a keyboard amp.
I’m coming up on 50 years of gigging, mostly jazz piano in the past 30. I’ve never played through a keyboard amp that sounded good, especially for acoustic piano. That’s why my peers almost always chose the best quality self-powered pa speaker they can afford and carry. Some choose mono, some stereo, and the preferences are strong. But keyboard amps? Not so much.

So what keyboard amp do you recommend? Do you put it on a stand, or a pole? Is it used for personal monitoring, for the band, or for the audience? Or all three?

If I’ve missed a great keyboard amp for acoustic piano I’d like to know!

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I've never used a keyboard amp. Also ... I've never heard anyone express a like for any keyboard amp.
It seems they're universally despised.

A
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by PianoMan51
I’m coming up on 50 years of gigging, mostly jazz piano in the past 30. I’ve never played through a keyboard amp that sounded good, especially for acoustic piano. That’s why my peers almost always chose the best quality self-powered pa speaker they can afford and carry. Some choose mono, some stereo, and the preferences are strong. But keyboard amps? Not so much.

So what keyboard amp do you recommend? Do you put it on a stand, or a pole? Is it used for personal monitoring, for the band, or for the audience? Or all three?

If I’ve missed a great keyboard amp for acoustic piano I’d like to know!

These are by far the best I've listened to:

BOSE F1

You can also get them with subwoofers that act as a stand.

[Linked Image]

S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
I'm not recommending a keyboard amp. There are some good ones, but not in the OP's price range:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...igns-center-point-stereo-spacestation-xl

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...nch-combo-with-2-speed-rotary-horn-black

My point is that some PA's have a design that works well for keyboards, and some do not.

Per the Yamaha manual, the DRX series has a bass boost in the DSP tier to extend the bass response through digital equalization. When you turn off the variable compressor, you also turn off the bass boost. How much bass extension does the DRX8 have without this turned on?

Yamaha doesn't even publish the frequency response range that meets a +/-3dB, which is never a good sign.

Keep in mind that the OP's instrument, an MP7SE, is not just a digital piano. It also has a Hammond B3 emulator as well as sampled acoustic, electric, and synthesized bass. Organs place more stringent demands than pianos on sound reinforcement. I don't know any gigging organists who use standalone 8" PAs for sound reinforcement (they would need a subwoofer).

I do think a recommendation of a sound system for a digital keyboard should take into account the full capabilities of the instrument, and be well matched to it. That way, you don't have to get a new amp because you later started using a different capabilities of the instrument.

P
P
Spacestation and Leslies sound bad for digital piano. What are you suggesting for the OP?

J
J
the OP also wants amplification for edrums - if it were only for digital piano and keyboard the solution would be much more straightforward.

The amplification systems sold with e drums by Yamaha and Roland are not well regarded by e-drummers, let alone putting keys through them. they are mostly targeted at beginners

if i were the OP, i'd be looking carefully at sweelinck's contributions here and balancing that with relevant discussions on the vdrums forums

I don't know what the used market is in Europe, but going used is something to consider. A mixer + power amp (crown, QSC) + 12" or 15" PA stage monitors (not mains - EV, JBL,Yamaha) used would easily fit your budget here in the states. When I played in a band that is the setup we used for practice.

You could add a subwoofer later (need a mixer with an aux send) but it is not needed starting out unless you are doing a bunch of techno stuff. Note that some powered subs are quite heavy.

Another approach is a mixer + headphone amp with multiple headphone outs.

S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by PianoMan51
Spacestation and Leslies sound bad for digital piano. What are you suggesting for the OP?

I think my postings clearly recommended a decent quality PA amp with enough bass extension, which I view as enough not to be significantly challenged by the organ in an MP7SE, the instrument under consideration. I specifically have used an EON 612 with an MP7SE so mentioned that. I would be fine with any PA made by Electrovoice, Yamaha, or QSC that has what I consider to be enough bass extension.

I mentioned that I did not think a particular PA was well designed to meet the requirements of a keyboard amp in the generic sense, and you started asking me to recommend a decent "keyboard amp" in the sense of the marketing term. Ironically, some so-called keyboard amps actually have enough bass extension for e-drums.

If the OP is only going to use this in a home setting with family members (and not take it out to play with others or to gig), I think a cost effective solution would be a small mixer, a Samson Servo 200 or even Samson 120A power amp, and some decent passive 3-way home stereo speakers with 10" or 12" woofers (actual woofers, not the multi-range drivers in a PA).

The Samson amp will accept a balanced +4dBu connection from the mixer.

S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
I would add that if the OP has a home stereo that can be used for this, a simple tabletop mixer with a tape output would be enough to get started. This would be a low cost option:

https://m.thomannmusic.com/behringer_xenyx_502.htm?o=5&search=1631645837

A Yamaha or Mackie unit would be a step up in reliability.

The MP7SE and e-drum connect to channels 2/3 and 4 or 4/5 and the 2-track RCA plug output which will be consumer line level connects to the Aux, Tuner, CD, or Tape input of a home stereo system.

Once you start playing, requirements will clarify if you want to purchase performance equipment.

A
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
A
I would add that if the OP has a home stereo that can be used for this, a simple tabletop mixer with a tape output would be enough to get started. This would be a low cost option:

https://m.thomannmusic.com/behringer_xenyx_502.htm?o=5&search=1631645837

A Yamaha or Mackie unit would be a step up in reliability.

The MP7SE and e-drum connect to channels 2/3 and 4 or 4/5 and the 2-track RCA plug output which will be consumer line level connects to the Aux, Tuner, CD, or Tape input of a home stereo system.

Once you start playing, requirements will clarify if you want to purchase performance equipment.

MP7SE already has a stereo line-in. No need to buying a mixer (yet).

I highly suggest to the OP to be conservative about any purchase you are making. Especially that you don't want to do any public jamming.

You can always buy a mixer in a blink of an eye. It just takes a click to spend hundreds on a suggestion here which you will, later on, realize wasn't needed...

Last edited by Abdol; 09/14/21 10:27 PM.

S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
Lots of mismatched line levels if you run the edrums to the input of the MP7SE and the MP7SE output to a consumer stereo. A tabletop mixer will address these.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai VPC-1 or Roland A88 MKII (or FP30X)?
by detektorosradio - 12/08/21 06:03 PM
Birdcage Piano Tuner needed in Virginia
by zander35 - 12/08/21 04:45 PM
Another "Which Midi Controller Should I Buy"
by cody.carrig - 12/08/21 04:05 PM
Chopin's Polonaise 26/2 and staccato duration
by Mati - 12/08/21 04:04 PM
How good is a Chickering 105 B concert grand?
by tommyhaha - 12/08/21 02:34 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics210,461
Posts3,151,648
Members103,560
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission