2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Advanced Piano Tricks
Advanced Piano Tricks
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
95 members (alohamusicfan, Alex Hutor, anotherscott, An Old Square, 13bwl, accordeur, anamnesis, Ajax69, 21 invisible), 1,530 guests, and 464 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
S
Sebs Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Henrik Stromberg
You are right it's impossible without practicing but sometimes you can use some tools. Musicnotes doesn't have it but you can find tutorial function in musescore (https://musescore.com/verona/driver-s-license/piano-tutorial) which can help you to visualize your hands moves.

I appreciate the suggestion although I use printed out on paper lead sheets. I'm not a fan of synthesia style learning. I'm not knocking it just not my style/preference.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Sebs, don't feel bad about not being able to play that piece well, because it is just not a good piece to learn on.
There is less than one octave in variation of the notes, which might seem to make it easy to play, but it doesn't have much rhythm to help you count with and it is just a boring, stupid melody.
Sorry, just my opinion, I guess the 3 million people who listened to the official version on YouTube have a different opinion.

It is much easier to learn the timing of the notes (whether 16th or 8th) on a song that has a definite rhythm paired with a melodic treble, because you can feel the pulse of the music in your head.
I know that you played around with Heart of Gold (Neil Young) and I would recommend you go back to that piece. It has a simple and recognizable melody line with a consistent beat that you can hear as you play the notes.

Casio PX-S3000
Nope, no issues with it at all.
Took lessons from 1960 to 1969, stopped at age 16.
Started again in July 2020 at age 67. Lots more fun now!
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by trooplewis
it doesn't have much rhythm to help you count with and it is just a boring, stupid melody.

The song actually features quavers in the LH, which I'd argue is a great rhythm to play the RH melody alongside. Crotchets would work well too, but is a step away from how the song is supposed to go. As a learning exercise it could be valuable though.

Sorry, just my opinion, I guess the 3 million people who listened to the official version on YouTube have a different opinion.

7.4 million likes, actually:

Driver's License

Listening to it, you can hear how there's slight back-phrasing in certain parts of the melody. Think I've said to be careful of taking written pop music down as gospel before - the rhythm on the sheet music is not an absolute, but it's pretty accurate.

S
Sebs Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
Sebs, don't feel bad about not being able to play that piece well, because it is just not a good piece to learn on.
There is less than one octave in variation of the notes, which might seem to make it easy to play, but it doesn't have much rhythm to help you count with and it is just a boring, stupid melody.

It is much easier to learn the timing of the notes (whether 16th or 8th) on a song that has a definite rhythm paired with a melodic treble, because you can feel the pulse of the music in your head.
I know that you played around with Heart of Gold (Neil Young) and I would recommend you go back to that piece. It has a simple and recognizable melody line with a consistent beat that you can hear as you play the notes.

I absolutely love this song and she takes you on such a journey through the verses, bridge, etc have such different moods and a lot very cool elements. I understand other songs can easier and I have been working simpler ones as well but modern pop like this song and tons othera alike is what my goal is to be able to play. Also I don't go look at your songs and say "hey those are boring and stupid" really doesn't help anyone to just bash an artists and someone else's taste in music.

Originally Posted by fatar760
it doesn't have much rhythm to help you count with and it is just a boring, stupid melody.

The song actually features quavers in the LH, which I'd argue is a great rhythm to play the RH melody alongside. Crotchets would work well too, but is a step away from how the song is supposed to go. As a learning exercise it could be valuable though.

7.4 million likes, actually:

Driver's License

Listening to it, you can hear how there's slight back-phrasing in certain parts of the melody. Think I've said to be careful of taking written pop music down as gospel before - the rhythm on the sheet music is not an absolute, but it's pretty accurate.

Thanks! I agree that the lead sheet for pop you don't have to treat as gospel my teacher always tells me this too. However, like you, he also said this score is done pretty good and really good for practicing rhythms on. I have just been working on first couple bars, with clapping, dummy notes, and now trying hand together. I don't know if I'll be ready to learn whole piece anytime soon but even using a few bars as an exercise is really fun. I'm trying to get LH on autopilot and feel with the 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + so I can try to get the RH melody better.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Everyone has an opinion about various genres of music, you can hate the stuff I like and it won't insult me at all.

If you really want to know how it should sound on a piano, there is a piano tutorial here.
But be aware, the lyrics make this song...play the melody for someone who doesn't know the words, they will wonder what you are doing...

Last edited by trooplewis; 09/11/21 02:50 PM.

Casio PX-S3000
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
BTW, if you think I'm hard on Oliivia Rodrigo, you should read the flak I got for enjoying Euro-Dance music in this thread on Piano World.

Just one excerpt;

As for the sound ... I play that music all the time.

There's a switch next to the kitchen sink.
I flip the switch, the garbage disposal turns on, and all the waste in the drain gets ground up.
The sound is just like the music posted above. As is the physical content.

Casio PX-S3000
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
removing a key from a grand
by johnfin - 01/23/22 03:27 PM
Dexibel H10, está infravalorado este piano?
by Franlober - 01/23/22 02:33 PM
time signatures - every day (non musical) life example?
by ShowerCurtain465 - 01/23/22 12:04 PM
One sour bass note
by benz-tech - 01/23/22 11:04 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics211,316
Posts3,163,388
Members104,130
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission