2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Week Deals
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
36 members (clothearednincompo, ChrisGoesPiano, bluebilly, Christopher90, Dariusz D, AmyBNE, 14 invisible), 526 guests, and 440 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
F
F
Originally Posted by WinstonSmith
I just looked up the C3X's serial number and it turns out the piano was made in 2015, not 2016 as the dealer had indicated. Not sure if this should make a difference but I am curious, is it usual for pianos to remain in showrooms for 5 years? Is it a red flag that no one else bought it in that time frame? I would imagine dealers would prefer to cycle their showroom pianos so that they don't get too old and lose value.

Hi Winston
Where did you look up for that information?

Why you donโ€™t consider a bigger yamaha cx or kawai

Thanks

W
OP Offline
W
Originally Posted by Fer15
Hi Winston
Where did you look up for that information?
https://ca.yamaha.com/en/support/serial_numbers/index.html

Originally Posted by Fer15
Why you donโ€™t consider a bigger yamaha cx or kawai

Thanks
If I go to the next size, which is C5X or GX5, the price is almost the same as the CF6 so I would very likely go with the CF6. Plus, neither the Yamaha nor Kawai dealer had a C5X or GX5 in their showrooms so didn't even have a choice.

M
M
Is it a red flag that no one else bought it in that time frame? I would imagine dealers would prefer to cycle their showroom pianos so that they don't get too old and lose value.

Cycle? Where to?
I suspect this is just the nature of the market that pianos linger on the floor. That it didn't move, honestly, is no surprise to me. I would be concerned about how it was maintained all this time.

Is there such a thing as love at first sight with a piano? Or first audition?
I had this once -- a 1933 Steinway B that I rejected on the advice of my tech. I still regret not buying that.
Ideally, there should only be this (love at first sight/audition). Is art or feeling something we should resign ourselves to compromising if we can afford not to?

Lastly -- and I admit, it's a bit too late for this -- your first mistake was going to the Internet for advice. None of us have to live with your decision. Make an informed decision by gathering your own data -- impressions, feelings, etc. from first-hand experience. Never rely on a salesman (conflict of interest) and don't rely only on a tech (conflict of interest and too high a risk of objective incompetence) to make this decision for you: Their engagement with you is over as soon as your checks clear.

W
OP Offline
W
Originally Posted by mcontraveos
Is it a red flag that no one else bought it in that time frame? I would imagine dealers would prefer to cycle their showroom pianos so that they don't get too old and lose value.

Cycle? Where to?
I suspect this is just the nature of the market that pianos linger on the floor. That it didn't move, honestly, is no surprise to me. I would be concerned about how it was maintained all this time.
I meant I would expect that they would sell the floor model after a couple of years instead of only selling brand new out-of-the box pianos. I suspect a lot of people prefer to buy a brand new piano, not one that has been sitting in a showroom.

W
OP Offline
W
Finally made our decision today. My daughter is one very happy owner of a C3X. Got it for $35K, tax included, which is $8K less than what they sell brand new ones for. Given that each piano can sound different and my daughter really liked that particular C3X, I figured this is the way to go; get a floor model for less even if it's not brand new out-of-the box. I doubt it's been played very much and we still get a 10-year warranty with it.

The piano is arriving this Wednesday.

Thanks to everyone who's chimed in with their thoughts, you've been very helpful. This was a very time-consuming and stressful process and I'm relieved that it is over (until we decide to upgrade to a Steinway B or something similar :))

Gold Subscriber
9000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
9000 Post Club Member
Winston
Congrats๐Ÿ˜Š I can see how your daughter is one very happy girl.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
H
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
H
Congratulations on your new Yamaha C3X!

S
S
Many congratulations! Iโ€™m sure both you and your daughter will enjoy it for many years! ๐ŸŽ‰๐ŸŽˆ๐ŸŽŠ

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Fantastic! I am so jealous - I'll never be able to afford one of those! But I'm happy for you. You will love that piano. Enjoy! laugh

W
OP Offline
W
Originally Posted by dogperson
Winston
Congrats๐Ÿ˜Š I can see how your daughter is one very happy girl.
Originally Posted by Hakki
Congratulations on your new Yamaha C3X!
Originally Posted by Sgisela
Many congratulations! Iโ€™m sure both you and your daughter will enjoy it for many years! ๐ŸŽ‰๐ŸŽˆ๐ŸŽŠ
Originally Posted by ando
Fantastic! I am so jealous - I'll never be able to afford one of those! But I'm happy for you. You will love that piano. Enjoy! laugh
Thanks!

j&j Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Hi WinstonSmith - Congratulations on your new C3X piano. They are quite wonderful and can last many years. I had a C3 for 7 years and loved it. Please post pictures when it arrives and maybe a video of you and your daughter playing it. It is a big happy family event when the new piano arrives. Have fun and enjoy. You and your daughter can enjoy the beautiful sounding results of your hard work. Best Wishes on your piano adventure.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
The reason Iโ€™m old and wise is because God protected me when I was young and stupid.
[Linked Image]
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
I meant I would expect that they would sell the floor model after a couple of years instead of only selling brand new out-of-the box pianos. I suspect a lot of people prefer to buy a brand new piano, not one that has been sitting in a showroom.
That might be your preference, but as you found out dealers can usually sell older new pianos for less because they cost them less initially. That and the older piano will have settled in and probably received more work because the dealer would be trying to address whatever issues are preventing it from being sold.

Steve Chandler
composer/amateur pianist

stevechandler-music.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/pantonality
http://www.youtube.com/pantonality
B
B
Good news. That C3x seemed like the natural fit for you from the beginning. It's a solid piano, your daughter likes it the best, you got a good deal, and it's been around a few years so it's settled in but still qualifies as new. Seems like a win all around to me.

W
OP Offline
W
Is there a way to upload a picture from local disk? I only see an option to insert image link.

S
S
PianoWorld encourages uploading photos to the picture gallery.
There are links to additional instructions near the top of the page.

W
OP Offline
W

K
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
K
Big congratulations on the C3! This is the piano that Yamaha has built its reputation on ( along with the U1 for uprights ) for decades now.

Keith D Kerman
PianoCraft
Rebuilding & Sales - vintage and used Steinway, Mason & Hamlin
New Steingraeber, Estonia, Baldwin
www.pianocraft.net
check out www.sitkadoc.com/ and www.vimeo.com/203188875
www.youtube.com/user/pianocraftchannel

keith@pianocraft.net 888-840-5460
W
OP Offline
W
Originally Posted by Keith D Kerman
Big congratulations on the C3! This is the piano that Yamaha has built its reputation on ( along with the U1 for uprights ) for decades now.
Thank you. It wasn't an easy decision.

On the day we made our decision, I took my wife and daughter to try both pianos one last time. My daughter and wife both showed a preference for the C3X or at least did not like the CF6 better to justify the extra almost $18K. I liked the CF6 better but to be honest, it did not wow me the way it's supposed to. It's supposed to be Yamaha's 2nd best piano (after the concert grand CFX) and in the same tier as Steinway B but maybe that particular piano was not the best one because a Steinway B we played was distinctly better. The seller is a Steinway dealer and we played a new B in the same showroom - it was superior to the CF6 and it made me wish that I could increase my budget to $170K.

Too bad the GX3 was not near (it's located over an hour drive) or we would have tried all 3 in the same afternoon to have the complete comparison.

Also of interest, my wife seems to view the piano primarily as a piece of furniture and I found it, after we made our decision, that she is very picky about where and how the piano should be placed. The 7-foot CF6 would not be a very good fit in the current arrangement. I'll need to talk to her about our next, and bigger, piano way ahead of time smile

S
S
The photos look great! Thanks for posting! Iโ€™m sure you and your daughter will enjoy playing the piano for many years, and your wife will enjoy listening to you fill the house with music! ๐ŸŽˆ๐ŸŽ‰๐ŸŽŠ

K
kre Online Content
Online Content
K
If you did not instantly fall in love with CF6, the C3X was better choice. Premium pianos cost a fortune, for that money you really MUST want it. Congrats for your new instrument!

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Es920 production stopped??
by playplayplay - 12/07/21 12:07 AM
Mehlin & Sons Piano Identification
by LeviWhitted - 12/06/21 08:37 PM
jack position button not present in old grand
by f4tune81 - 12/06/21 08:11 PM
Thinking about recital #65
by stevedoz - 12/06/21 04:28 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics210,420
Posts3,151,118
Members103,539
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission