2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Week Deals
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
36 members (clothearednincompo, ChrisGoesPiano, bluebilly, Christopher90, Dariusz D, AmyBNE, 14 invisible), 526 guests, and 440 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3154697 09/08/21 11:22 PM
K
OP Offline
K
Hi everyone,

I am kevin. I am a hobbyist piano player and i am still on a low level. Yes, i am a dweep that learns his songs from Youtube blush Trough the years ive had a few pianos and synthesizers but none of them ever realy met my requirements.

I currently own a Yamaha Arius YDP-164 but for some reason i find the sound value still lacking as wel as some other features. Thats is why i decided to save up my money and go for a realy good piano that will satisfy me for a realy long time.

I am currently looking at the yamaha clp 745 and csp 170. I heard them in the store and the sound quality blew me away. I love the giuding lights on the csp. I bet it will help me learn songs more easily. And with the option to input your own midi files will help as wel ( i mainly use synthesia for learning songs)

This is what brings me to these two pianos. The clp is a great piano without al the extra sounds like a trumpet, guitar, etc (i dont need them anyway) But has no guiding system for learning or anything like that. The csp with al his extra sounds that i will not realy use (exept for fun times sometime) is heavily dependent on the app. I have concerns about this. What will it do in 10 years from now? If you know what i mean.

I hope anyone can give me some advice for maybe things that i havent trought about or considered yet. Or maybe you own one of these two pianos yourself and can share with me some of your experience. Either way, all help is welcome smile

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
If you aspire to improve your skills then I suggest you abandon Synthesia and not buy a piano with lights.

Play-by-light is to the piano what paint-by-number is to painted art.
It's a crutch for the beginner just starting out ... and an impediment thereafter.

K
OP Offline
K
Oke thanks for the tip. The only thing is, should have mentioned it before, i have dyslexia. I cant read notes and do everything by ear or vision.

Thats why i use syntheasia to help me improve. The light system would just be an extra help for me. But it will be hard for me to learn to play better without youtube.

Last edited by Kevinpiano; 09/09/21 08:51 AM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kevinpiano
Hi everyone,

I am kevin. I am a hobbyist piano player and i am still on a low level. Yes, i am a dweep that learns his songs from Youtube blush Trough the years ive had a few pianos and synthesizers but none of them ever realy met my requirements.

I currently own a Yamaha Arius YDP-164 but for some reason i find the sound value still lacking as wel as some other features. Thats is why i decided to save up my money and go for a realy good piano that will satisfy me for a realy long time.

I am currently looking at the yamaha clp 745 and csp 170. I heard them in the store and the sound quality blew me away. I love the giuding lights on the csp. I bet it will help me learn songs more easily. And with the option to input your own midi files will help as wel ( i mainly use synthesia for learning songs)

This is what brings me to these two pianos. The clp is a great piano without al the extra sounds like a trumpet, guitar, etc (i dont need them anyway) But has no guiding system for learning or anything like that. The csp with al his extra sounds that i will not realy use (exept for fun times sometime) is heavily dependent on the app. I have concerns about this. What will it do in 10 years from now? If you know what i mean.

I hope anyone can give me some advice for maybe things that i havent trought about or considered yet. Or maybe you own one of these two pianos yourself and can share with me some of your experience. Either way, all help is welcome smile
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
If you aspire to improve your skills then I suggest you abandon Synthesia and not buy a piano with lights.

It's a crutch for the beginner just starting out ... and an impediment thereafter.

Hello Kevin,

I too struggle with a vision impairment that has impeded my effort to learn/read/play piano..... but mine is somewhat more benign - i was born with a “legally-blind” ‘lazy eye ‘ AND one good eye that has weakened with age and thus far i have failed at the seemingly straightforward task of getting lenses optimized for reading at piano distance thru one eye.

Presently i am thinking of upgrading my ipad to a model that more readily supports connection to a big screen so that i can forget about the optometrists’ shortcomings and get on with an alt solution that also allows other connectivity features so that i can also do online course via usb-midi out of DP thru ipad out to internet and then back thru ipad to DP in order to sound the audio ..... plus other thunderbolt dock-type features ..... with regards to helping your impairment, the CSP-170 ( or other tablet-friendly DPs) may be a worthy solution for you ..... but it is a 4-plus year old design compared to newer models & brands that may help you learn despite dyslexia .... but who out there near you has a 170 or 745 or competitive newer brand/model ( in the context of your needs) for you to buy whether or not they have for you to first try?

Good luck,

-drew

- Kawai MP7 and LSR308 monitors
- Roland HP-508
- DT770 Pro-80 and MDR-7506 phones
K
OP Offline
K
Originally Posted by drewr
Originally Posted by Kevinpiano
Hi everyone,

Originally Posted by MacMacMac

Hello Kevin,

I too struggle with a vision impairment that has impeded my effort to learn/read/play piano..... but mine is somewhat more benign - i was born with a “legally-blind” ‘lazy eye ‘ AND one good eye that has weakened with age and thus far i have failed at the seemingly straightforward task of getting lenses optimized for reading at piano distance thru one eye.

Presently i am thinking of upgrading my ipad to a model that more readily supports connection to a big screen so that i can forget about the optometrists’ shortcomings and get on with an alt solution that also allows other connectivity features so that i can also do online course via usb-midi out of DP thru ipad out to internet and then back thru ipad to DP in order to sound the audio ..... plus other thunderbolt dock-type features ..... with regards to helping your impairment, the CSP-170 ( or other tablet-friendly DPs) may be a worthy solution for you ..... but it is a 4-plus year old design compared to newer models & brands that may help you learn despite dyslexia .... but who out there near you has a 170 or 745 or competitive newer brand/model ( in the context of your needs) for you to buy whether or not they have for you to first try?

Good luck,

-drew

Hi Drew,

Thanks for your reply and wauw. What a commitment you have. I did not Realy look any further then the csp and clv pianos since they are in my budget range. Most others where way to expensive. And tbh i dont realy like the cvp series. To many buttons haha. I am a yamaha fan as well. So that limits my options. I watched some video’s between yamaha, kawai and Roland. Yamaha sounded better in my opinion. And i know that the csp 170 is 4 years old but yamaha doent have a later version frown. But please if you have some ideas of better pianos that would be more suited, let me know

Last edited by Kevinpiano; 09/09/21 11:12 AM.
T
T
I would have got the CSP series since I wanted to have some rhythm and sound extras that weren't available in the CLP series. With the CLP, if you ever want those extras you will need to connect it to a computer the VSL library. CSP is like a CVP model without the built-in screen and extreme extra cost. That is what the iPad is replacing. It has it's ups and downs, for sure.

I ended up going with a CLP since I wanted the baby grand style cabinet.

Last edited by TexasBear; 09/09/21 11:19 AM.

Yamaha CLP-795 / Ordered 6 Sep 2021, Arrived 4 Nov 2021
K
OP Offline
K
Originally Posted by TexasBear
I would have got the CSP series since I wanted to have some rhythm and sound extras that weren't available in the CLP series. With the CLP, if you ever want those extras you will need to connect it to a computer the VSL library. CSP is like a CVP model without the built-in screen and extreme extra cost. That is what the iPad is replacing. It has it's ups and downs, for sure.

I ended up going with a CLP since I wanted the baby grand style cabinet.

You say up and downs. But as newbie as i am, i don't see any downs. Can you tell mee some.?

T
T
Ups meaning all the extra voices and styles. A downside could be that it is reliant on an iPad, depending on how you view it. I wouldn't be worried about obsolescence in that regard as you could always dedicate an iPad to the CSP only, and not update/upgrade it. I still have an iPad from 2011 and it works great for what it originally did. Another down is that it is only available in the console cabinet, and not a baby grand cabinet that I wanted. :-)

Yamaha CLP-795 / Ordered 6 Sep 2021, Arrived 4 Nov 2021
I'd recommend the CLP745 over the CSP170. The latter is one of Yamaha's niche pianos. They come, they sell, they disappear from the lineup.

I wonder: Does Yamaha use these one-of-a-kind pianos as a marketing test for new ideas?

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Here's my take on this dilemma:

Speakers in low-to-mid range digital piano cabinet models are woeful. Just not worth the money. The cabinet is window dressing, so unless aesthetics are a major factor, you could save the money and purchase a portable piano and a decent pair of monitors (e.g., Neuman KH120A)---that's a good shout, because the sound won't have to go through a thick wooden cabinet.

If you want a set of rhythms, the ES920 has those. Modern iPad technology obsoletes anything Yamaha might provide. The P515 is an obvious analog to the CLP745: too bad it only has CFX binaural samples and not Bosendorfer. Probably the Kawai SK9 is just that bit better sound wise than the CFX now due to it's newer technology, especially in the treble ---due in no small part to the new Onkyo sound drivers. Expect that the P525 will come out soon. That would come with a binaural Bosendorfer sample.

Last edited by Doug M.; 09/09/21 04:08 PM.

Instruments: Current - Kawai MP7SE; Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000
Software: Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand: K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
If you live in the UK, there is a CLP745, 2 months old, going for £2000 on FB marketplace due to moving abroad. Might be worth a look.

Instruments: Current - Kawai MP7SE; Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000
Software: Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand: K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
R
R
I had the same decision before me last month. Although it was the 150 to 745. I ended up placing order for the 745. So full disclosure i have not actually played either side by side so my feedback is solely based on talking to people and research (and price....since the CSP has quite a premium on top where i live).

For you though those streaming guide lights could be more of a factor than for me. I am solid intermediate level player and am currently practicing not looking down at the keys at all and keeping my eyes on the notes in front of me.

But with dyslexia those lights must be a much better way to play.......early on. As you get better though i think you will start to wean yourself off of them.

I heard they outright stopped manufacturing the 150's, and the 170's might only be very limited more coming. Sounds like once they get the supply chain issues sorted out that a new upgraded versions could be coming.

K
OP Offline
K
Originally Posted by Raptors1995
I had the same decision before me last month. Although it was the 150 to 745. I ended up placing order for the 745. So full disclosure i have not actually played either side by side so my feedback is solely based on talking to people and research (and price....since the CSP has quite a premium on top where i live).

For you though those streaming guide lights could be more of a factor than for me. I am solid intermediate level player and am currently practicing not looking down at the keys at all and keeping my eyes on the notes in front of me.

But with dyslexia those lights must be a much better way to play.......early on. As you get better though i think you will start to wean yourself off of them.

I heard they outright stopped manufacturing the 150's, and the 170's might only be very limited more coming. Sounds like once they get the supply chain issues sorted out that a new upgraded versions could be coming.

Thanks for your reply, this helps a lot. I agree that the guiding lights will become useless in the future when inlearn to play better. They still could be usefull for my son in the future. I hope you are right and that yamaha will drop an upgraded version for us soon. I am still saving money so i can wait a bit longer. The only reason i am having a hard time to decide for a 745 series is that it will be harder for me to learn songs then.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Constant instrument hopping: the recorder
by meghdad - 12/07/21 04:39 AM
Es920 production stopped??
by playplayplay - 12/07/21 12:07 AM
Mehlin & Sons Piano Identification
by LeviWhitted - 12/06/21 08:37 PM
jack position button not present in old grand
by f4tune81 - 12/06/21 08:11 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics210,420
Posts3,151,118
Members103,539
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission