2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
59 members (cygnusdei, CharlesXX, clothearednincompo, CyberGene, brdwyguy, CraiginNZ, 14 invisible), 1,329 guests, and 514 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
OP Offline
B
Hello smile

I am planning on buying a new GL10 baby grand by the end of this year.
Due to my living situation I really need the silent function and the instrument has to be as small as possible.
As far as I have researched, the kawai has the best silent capabilities next to Yamaha.

In the Kawai line up there are pianos with the atx 3 standard. Better sounds, touch interface etc. The silent grands are at the moment only with the atx 2 standard.

Does anybody know if there will be an update coming anytime soon? I would prefer the GL10 with atx 3 grin

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Good question, I noticed several of the upright K models became available in ATX3 awhile ago, but not the GL models. I read on another thread that the sensors are the same between versions, it's only the electronics and software that change, so I would have thought it would happen on all models pretty much at the same time. The unfortunate part is there is no upgrade path from ATX2 to ATX3. I think that if manufacturers put digital features on acoustic pianos, they would benefit from showing support for the digital side for a decade or two so it more closely matches the life expectancy of the acoustic side.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
B
OP Offline
B
Exactly! I was thinking of buying a K200 atx3 but would rather upgrade to a small grand. Unfortunately I would rather have the newer software rather than the old one. Better for reselling the instrument in a couple of years.

Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
You might send a PM to KawaiJames
http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/users/25185/kawai-james.html
If you haven’t done it previously, click on private message’
If he replies by PM, you will find a blinking folder in the upper right of your screen by your screen name

If he has any information that he is allowed to disclose he will be glad to help you

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
I’m in the same boat here. I’m looking at the K500 Aures/ATX3 or maybe a GL10/GL20 ATX2.

The ATX3 is actually also a bit outdated now after the release of CA79/CA99 that uses a newer software. The ATX3 is based in the same software as the older CA78/CA98.

So my hopes (yes high hopes but probably won’t happen) is that Kawai decide to update the GL-series soon to a “ATX4” with the same software as in the CA79/CA99 and maybe the Aures will get the same upgrade.

But I have also come to the conclusion that it’s pretty nice that the ATX2 is hidden and doesn’t have a screen visible.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Rather than asking in a public forum, perhaps contacting Kawai in Germany would be more direct!

https://www.kawai.de/

Don Mannino, MPA
Kawai America
B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by KawaiDon
Rather than asking in a public forum, perhaps contacting Kawai in Germany would be more direct!

https://www.kawai.de/

I don’t think they will be able to answer my question grin
But I can give it a try...

j&j Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Another idea for the OP is buy the best acoustic you can afford and then buy a cheap digital or cheap used digital for silent practice. Digital ages out much faster than acoustic. With separate systems you can upgrade your digital much less expensively and far faster and easier.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
The reason I’m old and wise is because God protected me when I was young and stupid.
[Linked Image]
B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by j&j
Another idea for the OP is buy the best acoustic you can afford and then buy a cheap digital or cheap used digital for silent practice. Digital ages out much faster than acoustic. With separate systems you can upgrade your digital much less expensively and far faster and easier.

That was also one option I was thinking about. The Problem is, I really don’t have that much space inside my apartment to put both instruments.
Even buying only the acoustic instrument, I would go for a baby grand. The options are limited. Yamaha or Kawai. In addition I would buy a small kawai portable piano (eg. es110).
The approach is possibly the best. Don’t know if it makes sense. Pricewise it would also be cheaper.
I will add it to my options.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Belger1900
That was also one option I was thinking about. The Problem is, I really don’t have that much space inside my apartment to put both instruments.
There are some lighter weight slabs, that might allow you to tuck it in a closet if you're not using it, or sit it on top of the grand if you're strong enough to handle the reach. In the old days there were a lot more slabs that didn't have speakers, that made them lighter weight. But the trend seems to be putting speakers in everything. I also thought about building a shell that went over the top of my digital to turn it into a work surface/desk. That way I could use it for other things when I didn't need it, and lift the shell off, or slide it out of the way, when I wanted to play.

I went through the same process you are going through, I played all the K model ATX Kawai pianos. They don't market the GL ATX models here in the US. My decision was that given the difference in cost, and the difference in lifespan between acoustic and digital electronics, I was better off keeping my old digital and getting a straight acoustic.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
I’m in the same boat also but there is no chance I can fit two pianos in our home. We are making som changes just to be able to upgrade from a digital slab to an acoustic piano. So need to have silent feature. A baby grand like the GL10 with ATX2 is an option but right now I’m leaning towards the K-500 Aures for optimal placement in our home. Grand action would be nice but space is just the biggest factor here along with budget smile

I just watch a video of GL10 ATX4, it is already in the market:

"I tell my piano things" that I don’t have to tell everyone.
smile
Frederic Chopin (revisited)
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
It’s so strange that Kawai has started shipping these without any kind of news updates. If it really is a new action with some way of not having any impact on the touch (distance to strings?) it’s pretty big.

Also I’m very happy that there is no touchscreen… they are looking very impressive. If the GX-1 will be available with ATX4 it’s on my shopping list 😄

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
Our Fall 2021 Free Newsletter is Out , see it here!
---------------------
Selling my Hammond & Leslie!
---------------------
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Effect of volume on experience of action
by op299 - 10/17/21 04:35 AM
A la recherche du Pete14 perdu
by Fleer - 10/16/21 11:57 PM
Jazz piano chord progression Mary did you know
by Nicepianoman39 - 10/16/21 10:17 PM
Climate Change & Boom
by Xam - 10/16/21 08:18 PM
Upright Piano Decisions… - Boston vs Schimmel
by Pianofly - 10/16/21 08:16 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,627
Posts3,140,243
Members103,025
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission