2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (36251, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 8 invisible), 1,424 guests, and 311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3154591 09/08/21 05:39 PM
M
OP Offline
M
Thanks all for your interest! Looking for a small grand 6’ or under in either of these brands. Any input with your experience in terms of aging and resale value would be appreciated. Specifically, I’ve tried and really like Bechstein Academy 160 & Steinway M, will probably get a new one at a local dealer. One costs more than the other; there’s a resale value to consider, although I am hoping that this would be my forever piano. If you know of any lower budget alternatives, I would love to hear them. Didn’t like S Kawaii or Hoffman. Thank you very much!

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
If you have experience playing piano, enough so you have developed preferences, all I can suggest is that you try as many different pianos as you can. Nobody else knows your tastes and preferences.

If you have not, then I would suggest starting with something less expensive, which will also give you the opportunity to shop for a technician, which can be a more important and difficult decision than the piano.

Semipro Tech
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Estonia is one that can be amazingly good. If I were looking for a baby grand, that would be on the list-- along with Bechstein (Concert) and Bluthner. If you also have a Steinway you like, no need to turn that away. Steingraeber 170 is said to be astounding, but it will cost a lot more than most.

As will be said ad nauseam, make sure you're looking at pianos that are prepped to their best, and that you like playing and hearing.

Last edited by Maestro Lennie; 09/08/21 06:21 PM.
Online Content
Originally Posted by monicanada
Thanks all for your interest! Looking for a small grand 6’ or under in either of these brands. Any input with your experience in terms of aging and resale value would be appreciated. Specifically, I’ve tried and really like Bechstein Academy 160 & Steinway M, will probably get a new one at a local dealer. One costs more than the other; there’s a resale value to consider, although I am hoping that this would be my forever piano. If you know of any lower budget alternatives, I would love to hear them. Didn’t like S Kawaii or Hoffman. Thank you very much!
If you hope this is your forever piano you should not worry about resale value. You need to tell us your budget(max and what you'd like to spend) if you want other recommendations. Since the Steinway is probably close to 80K you have an almost unlimited number of alternatives.

P
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
P
Contact me if you're interested in one that needs restoration.

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
www.seacoastpianodoctor.com
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK0T7_I_nV8
R
R
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
If you hope this is your forever piano you should not worry about resale value. You need to tell us your budget(max and what you'd like to spend) if you want other recommendations. Since the Steinway is probably close to 80K you have an almost unlimited number of alternatives.

I thought my Charles Walter W190 would be my forever piano. Well, that ended up not being the case. Just recently I sold it (after having it two years.)

Point being - it's always a good idea to consider resale value from the outset in my view. You never know what may end up catching your eye and ear down the line...

M
OP Offline
M
Thanks for the recommendations. I will have to search them out!

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
There are lots of great pianos out there; some will appeal more than others. My recommendation is to try as many as you can. Have fun, and take lots of notes.

Here’s a link to the PianoBuyer staff picks. The list has a number of pianos in the size range you mentioned (including the Estonia 168).

https://www.pianobuyer.com/article/staff-picks-recommendations/

When I was looking at pianos this spring, I thought the smaller Schimmels (C169 and K175) had a lot of presence, especially for their size. The C169 should be significantly less expensive than the Steinway or Bechstein you’ve been eying. If there’s a dealer in your area that carries them, I’d definitely try them out.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
I agree with others on two points:
- If you are hoping to find - and you actually do find - your "forever piano," resale should not be a factor in your shopping.
- Do not limit yourself to two of the more expensive brands when other brands can be just as well-made and reliable, but whose price is not reflected as much by the name on the fall board.

Try as many pianos as you can; you may be pleasantly surprised at what you find.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
M
OP Offline
M
Thank you, Everyone! Can you please share some experience in selling a used grand, especially Steinway or Bechstein and the depreciation in value? My “forever” piano may not be with me that long. I live with a serious health condition and need to think of my beneficiaries. We are limited by few retailers and very high prices. A used Yamaha upright from the 70’s & 80’s goes for $3-5K, saw a used Forster upright for $8K—individual sale prices, not dealer prices. I had hoped to find a good, used grand under $10K, but no such luck in any of the classifieds in the last few years. An experienced technician said I am unlikely to find a decent used grand for that. One “famously reputable” used piano dealer advertised a Canadian grand for $6K, and didn’t even bother to tune it. Unplayable & unbelievably bad. Have looked outside the area, combed through Piano Mart for several years, hard to travel for me even before covid. Thinking of settling for expensive options with some resale value. Any other recommendations would be appreciated. For resale, is 40% realistic, or more likely 25% of the purchase price? I tried a couple of Schimmels here; not great, but similar prices to Bechstein. Hoping for something different than Yamahas and Kawaiis I have played at universities and concert venues. Steinways have always been reliably excellent. Bechstein is a close second for me. Thanks again for your time and recommendations!

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
For resale, a used Yamaha or used Steinway.

Online Content
Originally Posted by RPA88
I thought my Charles Walter W190 would be my forever piano. Well, that ended up not being the case. Just recently I sold it (after having it two years.)

Point being - it's always a good idea to consider resale value from the outset in my view. You never know what may end up catching your eye and ear down the line...
I think that's only true if one is comparing two pianos that one likes equally. IOW it should be very far down the list of factors in making a choice. Why get a piano whose tone or touch you don't like as much as another piano just because the other piano might sell more quickly or at a slightly higher percent of what you paid for it?

Online Content
For resale, is 40% realistic, or more likely 25% of the purchase price? I tried a couple of Schimmels here; not great, but similar prices to Bechstein. Hoping for something different than Yamahas and Kawaiis I have played at universities and concert venues. Steinways have always been reliably excellent. Bechstein is a close second for me. Thanks again for your time and recommendations!
Resale depends on how old the piano is and its condition. One way to get an approximate idea of resale price is to look at the depreciation table in this article:
https://www.pianobuyer.com/article/buying-a-used-or-restored-piano-how-much-is-it-worth/

One thing to notice is that the depreciation for used Steinways is only slightly less than the value of other makers.

P
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
P
Monicanada,

It is largely like a used car (pre-covid). If you buy it new off the lot, then decide 6 months later that you want (or need) to sell it, you will "lose" at least 25% of what you paid for it (for some good obvious reasons). This is simply something we accept in the whole scheme of buying and selling. Things generally do not go up in value over time, but down (with few exceptions).

Other factors are how quickly you need to sell (when that time arrives), and what "competition" there is for you at the time, and of course what else is going on with the economy in general at the time or in the perceived future.

As stated, resale should not really be a factor in the original buying.

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
A
A
I think a Bechstein academy would be much cheaper than a similarly sized Steinway. I bought a new Bechstein concert A192 for less than a new Steinway M.

Steinway (NY) to me have a slightly warmer tenor and treble than Bechstein. I like both and appreciate both. I found the Academy series treble to be way too piercing for my ears although possible could be voiced down. The Concert series has the crystal clear treble without the shrillness.

Resale value definitely goes to Steinway although I wouldn’t buy either based on the thought of resale. If you get a good deal on a Bechstein, the resale value might be ok when compared to a Steinway.

Working on:
Bach English Suite #2
Schubert Sonata A major D 959
Chopin Ballade #2

Practicing on:
Yamaha P-515
Kawai NV10s

Playing on:
1890 Steinway C (PianoCraft restoration pending)
2023 C. Bechstein A6

Old Flames:
2019 C. Bechstein Concert A192
2020 Kawai K-300 Aures
2012 Kawai RX-2
2014 Mason Hamlin 50
Online Content
Originally Posted by APianistHasNoName
Resale value definitely goes to Steinway although I wouldn’t buy either based on the thought of resale. If you get a good deal on a Bechstein, the resale value might be ok when compared to a Steinway.
At least according to the depreciation schedule in the Piano Buyer, the depreciation as a percentage of the latest selling price is only slightly less for Steinways. I think in terms of resale most people are interested in what percent of the price they paid they might be able to recoup and not in the money they'd get from selling two different piano.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Percentage is key, but Bechstein doesn't start from a low level. Also, unlike a Steinway, it isn't quite a commodity over on this side of the Pond. There are fewer of them, so that is a plus to sellers, but there are also fewer buyers out there who will say "wow-- an A192!". So you either need a sophisticated market to sell into, or a dealer who can tap into it.

P
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
P
If your market is very small you will end up having a hard time selling it no matter what. Again, resale really should not be part of the equation as there are way too many variables.

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
A
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by RPA88

For curiosity's sake, why did you sell the Charles Walter W190 so soon after buying it? Was there something wrong with it?

Last edited by Almaviva; 09/10/21 02:51 AM.
j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Thank you, Everyone! Can you please share some experience in selling a used grand, especially Steinway or Bechstein and the depreciation in value? My “forever” piano may not be with me that long. I live with a serious health condition and need to think of my beneficiaries. We are limited by few retailers and very high prices. A used Yamaha upright from the 70’s & 80’s goes for $3-5K, saw a used Forster upright for $8K—individual sale prices, not dealer prices. I had hoped to find a good, used grand under $10K, but no such luck in any of the classifieds in the last few years. An experienced technician said I am unlikely to find a decent used grand for that. One “famously reputable” used piano dealer advertised a Canadian grand for $6K, and didn’t even bother to tune it. Unplayable & unbelievably bad. Have looked outside the area, combed through Piano Mart for several years, hard to travel for me even before covid. Thinking of settling for expensive options with some resale value. Any other recommendations would be appreciated. For resale, is 40% realistic, or more likely 25% of the purchase price? I tried a couple of Schimmels here; not great, but similar prices to Bechstein. Hoping for something different than Yamahas and Kawaiis I have played at universities and concert venues. Steinways have always been reliably excellent. Bechstein is a close second for me. Thanks again for your time and recommendations!

Just one thought here. Since you have a serious health condition such that you’re already talking about the beneficiaries, you should by all means get a great piano now. If someone left me a Bechstein or Steinway, I’d be thrilled. Life is too short not to have a great piano. Go play and try as many pianos as you can! Best Wishes!

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission