2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
41 members (cygnusdei, AprilE, DPPianoPhil, Alex C, 15 invisible), 977 guests, and 746 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
J
If you could do it over, would you buy it again?

H
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

What makes you ask this question?

Cheers and happy playing,

HZ

J
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
J
I’m trying to decide if I should get full or standard. I don’t want to ask “is it worth it” because that’s subjective, so I’m wondering if people who have it are generally glad they have it. In other words, are you regularly using any of the mics that come with full version?

I have three VSL libraries, all of them are full libraries.
But that's me - I don't want to wonder endlessly if I could make a better sound had I bought the full library. In all three cases I have found that a second close mike makes the sound more believable and full.

Yes, I always use at least two mikes that belong to two different (full/standard) libraries.

Still, a very subjective take - hope it helps.

Schimmel CC213 - Kawai Novus
T
T
I got to demo standard and full, and my preferred mic combination only used standard mics, so I went with the standard. There are so many possibilities, so sure it’s possible I’m missing out on the holy grail mic combo by only having the standard library. But I prefer to just stick with the preset I came up with and focus on playing instead.

T
T
I don't have VSL CFX, but I do have VSL Bosendorfer Imperial. The full library is significantly better than the standard in my opinion. It adds the additional close mics for a far more realistic and less tinny experience. Also, if you play with headphones, having at least one surround mic on makes a massive difference for the realism and fullness of the sound (make sure to set a delay of about 30 in the sound settings for the surround mic).

Having said that, I think the strongest point of the VSL pianos is their room sound, and you can get a lot of bang for your buck out of the standard library. If your goal is just to render performance pieces later, standard might be good enough. But for live performance (and of course, better rendering for the final recording), full is the way to go.

I will point out that there is no disadvantage to buying standard and upgrading later.

While I can't guarantee it, there are often good Black Friday sales, so it might be worth waiting if you can stomach it.

However, if I could do it again, I'm really tempted by the new Bosendorfer 280. I'm not sure I can justify it at this point with what I already have (I'm personally hoping for an upgraded Steinway), but I think they really nailed the note separation and clarity for their newest release.

If you need additional incentive, I'll add that I love VSL as a company and am excited to support them. So, go full and help support the good guys. wink I want them to keep pumping out cool stuff!

Last edited by Tozen; 09/08/21 04:10 PM.
J
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
J
I have the full version of 280VC. The CFX is the one to me that sounds like the smallest audible benefit from standard to full; in my opinion most of the other libraries I've heard 'need' it. The CFX standard sounds a little thin to me, but that can either be changed with EQ in standard, or by adding warmer mics.

It's hard to find recordings of "player position" using Close 2 and Mid 2 without delays or other surround speakers added in.

I might be with @Erard and always wonder if I don't get the full version, so I might.

K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
I really do wish VSL had better demos. I listened to the CFX demos recently and did not like them. I went back and listened to the demos of the three VSL synchron pianos I do have and like, and I did not like their demos either.

Many of the demos tracks are far too bombastic, and even for the quieter pieces lack nuance.

I am happy with what I have and there is much less of an itch to scratch now, looking for that perfect VST. But I might consider the CFX if there is a Black Friday special. But it will have to go on an external SSD drive. If I like it enough I might scrub garriton CFX light from the internal.

J
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
J
I've enjoyed Mirriam Music and Simeon Amburgey's demos on YouTube. Mirriam's is the first one that made me say "Woah!" when I heard the CFX, and when I tried it in person it was really similar to what I remembered. Even now it's still similar - both sound great, just a little thin. But he hasn't messed with EQ or mic mixing other than using presets.

C
C
Originally Posted by KevinM
I really do wish VSL had better demos. I listened to the CFX demos recently and did not like them. I went back and listened to the demos of the three VSL synchron pianos I do have and like, and I did not like their demos either.

Many of the demos tracks are far too bombastic, and even for the quieter pieces lack nuance.

I am happy with what I have and there is much less of an itch to scratch now, looking for that perfect VST. But I might consider the CFX if there is a Black Friday special. But it will have to go on an external SSD drive. If I like it enough I might scrub garriton CFX light from the internal.

I agree about the demos - I don't think any of their pianos are done justice by the pieces posted. Then again, I felt the same about Garritan CFX.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
When Mozart plays a mean trick on you
by cygnusdei - 11/28/21 02:20 AM
Thin\hollow sound - improvement possible?
by TBell - 11/28/21 01:26 AM
Es920
by Jitin - 11/27/21 10:11 PM
Shopping spree reports
by Marc345 - 11/27/21 06:24 PM
Fishy scientific experiment - needs candidates.
by ZeroZero - 11/27/21 04:09 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics210,282
Posts3,149,254
Members103,450
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission