2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (AlkansBookcase, brdwyguy, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, clothearednincompo, bcalvanese, booms, 10 invisible), 1,971 guests, and 277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
OP Offline
K
Bought Roland FP30X yesterday. The problem is that I keep getting this clicking sound when I play the piano. This happens only when Piano instrument is selected. I have tried adjusting various settings in both Piano Every Day and Piano Designer apps but with no success. I have updated piano's software to the newest version too.

The sound is recorded from line out, this is the sound I hear through the headphones. The clicking is not coming from the keyboard. It sounds quite differently on different headphones so increasing the volume might help to hear the sound better.

Link to recording:
https://cdn.sndup.net/755v/Recording.mp3?token=GPwNx3zlNgskoQsza0aigzyYU-0uEmwtKKmmEk7pdLo&token_path=%2F755v%2F&expires=1630520514

Also this link, if the above one does not work. Click Download Audio in the bottom.
https://sndup.net/755v

Anyone ran into this? Any ideas how to fix the piano sound?

Thanks

Last edited by axomas; 09/01/21 02:24 PM.
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
I do not hear anything unusual.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
K
OP Offline
K
Try increasing the volume if you cant hear it, the quality of the decreased considerably after uploading. It is also much harder to hear if the bass is boosted in headphones.

Last edited by axomas; 09/01/21 02:47 PM.
I think thats just how it sounds. Are you hearing the hammer noise (in the sample or simulated?) and not liking it? Roland tends to use close mic samples I think, so, thats what you get. Maybe give it a bit more time before you decide if its for you or not.

Adult beginner. Roland FP90X, DIY cabinet, Pianoteq & VSL CFX, etc.
K
OP Offline
K
Can't you really not hear it laugh It is especially clear in the last 15 seconds of the recording. One note has this light crackling sound while other notes don't. I have never heard such sound playing the piano. It is like a paperclip would fall on the table, just much louder. I can hear it all the time when playing the piano.

D
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by axomas
Can't you really not hear it laugh

That's a fantastic double negative laugh like: I can't get no satisfaction.
wink

Last edited by Doug M.; 09/01/21 03:08 PM.

Instruments......Kawai MP7SE.............................................(Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000)
Software..........Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand...............K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
Piano stool.......K&M 14093 Piano stool
C
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
C
Sounds like a Roland.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I don't hear any clicking.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I took the second link, using headphones at full volume in ipad, and heard what i consider normal piano sounds in and around middle C, mostly M - medium/Mezo, some F - Forte , and a few FF & FFF, but definitely did not hear anything like clicking, crackling or dropping paperclip sounds.

My ears are 60-some years old, well used, having incurred some rough stuff years ago but otherwise in good working condition.

Don’t get too stressed, we all have different ears/perceptions and if yours hear what you say .... ce la vie ..... given the dreadful supply-side conditions, sending your new DP back to seller may be low on your list of options but it may be the best option if you find no solution. You could also try locating somebody else who has the same DP, try theirs to determine if you hear the same ..... the fact that you hear thru headphones probably indicates this will not be resolved by moving your DP to another space .... or you could try different headphones if you have access to a second set.

- Kawai MP7 and LSR308 monitors
- Roland HP-508
- DT770 Pro-80 and MDR-7506 phones
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
I've checked the recording: it's perfectly fine. Btw. audible sound improvement over FP10/FP30. @axomas Maybe it's something wrong with your playback system, for example headphones?

Ars non habet osorem nisi ignorantem
D
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
D
If it's anything, you're probably heaving a resonance buzz from the speakers, as often these don't get picked up in recordings, but affect only specific frequencies.

Last edited by Doug M.; 09/01/21 05:03 PM.

Instruments......Kawai MP7SE.............................................(Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000)
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
No clicking heard here. Good headphones.

A bit of a thump, turn hammer noise to -2.

I don’t hear any key off noise but try that at zero

I hear reverb set your ambience to zero

Good luck!

FP-90x, PX-330
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Doug M.
If it's anything, you're probably heaving a resonance buzz from the speakers, as often these don't get picked up in recordings, but affect only specific frequencies.

You can’t not heave a buzz .... can you? 🤪 .... like young girls don’t get wooly ... they get weary .

Last edited by drewr; 09/01/21 05:44 PM.

- Roland HP-508
D
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by drewr
Originally Posted by Doug M.

You can’t not heave a buzz .... can you? 🤪 .... like young girls don’t get wooly ... they get weary .

A few times people have posted audio of buzzing crackling sounds without there being any in the recording. The only thing I can think of is perhaps the mic isn't picking up the frequency of the buzz.

An alternative explanation is that the user is hearing noise from vibrations through transduction through the seat or keys direct to ear, as opposed to air movement - - - I think that unlikely.

How young are you Axomas BTW? Another possibility is that we can't hear a high frequency.

Last edited by Doug M.; 09/01/21 05:54 PM.

Yes ... or maybe there's something in the room picking up the sound and resonating in an unpleasant way?

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
I don't hear anything that sounds like clicking. The Rolands have a bit of a sharp attack to their character, which may be part of it....

Axomas, do you hear it over the speakers as well as headphones? Do you have another set of headphones to try?

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
OP has indicated they hear clicking when playing new DP via piano voice only, they do not think the clicking is coming from the keyboard, they tried to no avail tweaking settings after which they attached DP line out to a recording device of some type which they say produces “ the sound I hear through headphones” .... so far i have not seen mention that this clicking is heard through the DP’s built-in speakers but some have mentioned that sometimes odd resonances of something in the room .... resonating through headphones?

Also mentioned sometimes the mic isn’t picking up the noise .... i guess the line out could be recorded through a mic but .... was thus the case here? Either way, i would like to know - what are “vibrations through seat or keys” .... and can THESE be caused by/through headphones?

Axomas - what were you playing on before the new FP30, AP or DP?

Last edited by drewr; 09/01/21 10:15 PM.

- Roland HP-508
B
B
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
I don't hear any clicking.
Me neither

K
OP Offline
K
I did not expect so much attention, thanks everyone.

The clicking sound appears when pressing the keys with a specific force. It looks like only a few of the samples are bad, I really believe it should not be like this. I have never heard a piano that would create such sound when playing with medium force. The clicking sound is very noticeable, it always grabs your attention when playing. Also not all notes have this clicking sound. I have not tested all notes but it seems higher notes don't have this clicking noise at all. However the middle C is really problematic smile

How easy to hear this sound really depends on your headphones. My current ones have really "clear" higher range, that's probably why I hear it so much. I have also tried K371, there was much less clicking noise with them but it was still there. The problem is not with the headphones, the clicking noise is in the sample. If you try listening with particular headphones, or maybe adjusting your equalizer you will definitely hear it. It's a sound that's really hard to unhear after you hear it smile it distracts when playing so much. Since I know what to listen for now I can hear it when using built in speakers as well, but you can hear very little of it because of the quality of the speakers on this model. I would never hear it while playing music through built in speakers, but I can hear it when playing single notes. The clicking sound gets amplified much more when using headphones and I use only them when playing.

I believe Roland's samples are just like that, although on the other hand I have never heard such noises when listening to line out recordings of this model on Youtube. So there might be a chance my unit is somehow defective.

I have tried all possible settings, I think brilliance reduces it a little. And I am 30, but the sound is definitely in the range older people can hear.

https://vocaroo.com/1mfWjDzwjL3v

I'm putting one more link to a recording. It is a pretty chaotic one but I think you can hear it really clearly in this one. There's two notes played in this recording. C, with many of them with the clicking sound, then B without any, I believe, and then C again in the end with some clicking sound. Just increase your headphone volume and you'll hear this spatial clicking sound, it is definitely there. And it can be annoyingly noticeable depending on your headphones smile

Sorry for my English if something is hard to follow.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I own a Roland RD2000 but I am unfamiliar with your model. Does it have the Tone/Piano Designer functions? If so, you may be able to tone down those resonances. On my RD2000, not only can I change overall "Character" among others, I can change a few parameters for each note.

I found that on the grand piano sound I liked the most... I found a few random notes that had differing character from the others. I didn't notice it at first, but as I learned the sound, it started jumping out at me... and became very annoying. I tweaked the offending notes and all is well. I suspect that Roland throws a few notes "out" to give the piano a more real character... but I dunno.

I don't hear clicking. But I do hear, at some of those pressures you played, a jump in resonances. These resonances are brighter than the base sound... and may be perceived as a clicking... maybe.

You can try contacting Roland support... send them the sound file.... they have been great and tolerant of my neurosis.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 09/02/21 02:49 PM.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission