2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (beeboss, Animisha, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, 3 invisible), 1,277 guests, and 258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
JoeF Offline OP
OP Offline
J
This is a follow up to the user who was looking for closer music rest for his Avant Grant.

https://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthre...rtbreak-any-suggestions.html#Post3146346

I had the same issue with my VPC1, which had a tiny music rest mounted all the way at the back of the piano. My solution is to use a monitor arm, and mounting a Manhasset sheet music stand to it. You can buy the top part separately, part is Manhasset 5102.

There are many options to attach a monitor arm to your piano (various clamps, wall mount). I use a drum rack, so all I had to do is clamp the monitor arm to the 1.5 inch post. Here's the original thread on how I made my piano stand, if you are interested.

https://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthre...ack-as-a-keyboard-stand.html#Post2364744

Here is how the stand is attached to monitor arm. I just used two 40mm L brackets.

[Linked Image]

Here's a comparison of the Manhasset vs the original Kawai Music Rest.

[Linked Image]

H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

@JoeF, Thank you for this thread! Your idea has helped me think about a solution for the way-too-small music rest that came with my FP-10.

I was on my way to DIY a ~40" wide wooden music desk, but found that to become too heavy and cumbersome.

I will now be mounting two (cheaper/brandless) rests next to eachother on the back of the keyboard stand that the FP-10 sits on.

So again thanks for planting the idea!

Cheers and happy DIY solutions,

HZ

J
JoeF Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Glad it was helpful. Please post pictures when you are done!

You can still make a wooden music rest. The monitor arms hold 20 lbs and up, so if you adjust the tension right, you can move the heavy wooden rest around with one hand. Really easy to mount too, just drill out the VESA holes and attach with 4 screws. It's even cheaper because you don't have to buy 2 arms, just use a double wide piece of plywood.

This was my original plan until I found that they sold the aluminum rest separately, so I didn't have to deal with building it.

Currently, I'm working on mounting narrow LED light to VESA mount as a built in piano light. This way, I won't have to adjust the piano light every time I move the rest, as it all moves as one unit. The arms even have cable runs to hide the power cable.

I will post pictures when I am done.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Looks a tad precarious, Joe. My diy one (I've made loads over the years) is fixed to the wall since the EX110 is such a lightweight.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
J
JoeF Offline OP
OP Offline
J
The monitor arms are designed to slide into a 1.5 inch post, and hold a 20 lb monitor at full extension, so that part is super strong.

The piano stand I use is made out of drum rack parts, 1.5 inch steel poles and solid metal clamps, so no issues there.

I guess if you have a shaky X-stand, the stand itself may not be able to hold the weight of the monitor arm and music rest. In that case, I would just buy a wall mount monitor arm, and extend it over the piano.

What I like about using monitor arms to hold a music rest is that they are relatively cheap, super strong, and very easy to adjust.

The hard part is to find a big enough music rest without fabricating it yourself, and attaching it to the VESA mount. I found a pretty neat solution, and thought I'd share it and maybe exchange ideas with other people trying to solve the same problem.

H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

I won't be using monitor arms.

Your original post did give me the idea to use an existing music rest instead of the homemade wooden one I planned. To get the width I'd like, I then thought of using two rests side by side, coupled with a little DIYed bracket for stability.

Being on a budget, I ordered two of these:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/thomann_orchesterpult_deluxe.htm

and will only use the upper section, including the tilt/height adjustment parts. Perhaps I can use the remaining stands for still photography lighting.

My Roland FP-10, used as MIDI controller, sits on a firm M-type stand with some space left behind the piano, that's where I will fabricate a mount to place the music desks.

Once mounted and adjusted (tilt/height), their position will remain unchanged, so a flexible/movable arm is not needed in my setup.

Again, thanks!

Cheers and happy DIYing,

HZ

E
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by HZPiano
Cheers and happy DIYing,

HZ

Do not forget posting a picture of it when ready. I love seeing creative solutions.

Cheers and happy building and posting. smile

Last edited by EVC2017; 09/01/21 05:21 AM.

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
Tyr Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I ordered the "Music Rack for Kawai ES-7/ES-8 Black/Acrylic" from the local store nearby. I hope it's the HM-4 Music rest with another name. xD

Kawai: NV5 | Yamaha: CLP-745R
Pianoteq 7 Pro | Garritan CFX Full | Vienna Imperial | Keyscape Full | Ravenscroft 275 - Modern U - Model D - AG | Minigrand | The Oeser
H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

Originally Posted by EVC2017
Do not forget posting a picture of it when ready. I love seeing creative solutions.

Cheers and happy building and posting. smile

😄 And thanks.

I'll try to remember, don't expect images too soon; my number of plans accumulates a lot faster than the available time for their actual execution 🤔.

Cheers and a happy day,

HZ

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I, too, think that the simplest solution is just a separate stand for sheet music, which allows to adjust the height, tilt and distance. I have one of these stands:
https://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthre...MP11,_VPC1_music_holder.html#Post2572389

Although, the size of the stand itself has not been critical for me for a long time, since I completely switched from paper sheet music to digital ones. But it still looks good and harmonious (I confess I haven't seen anything better since then. I love this stand). And anyway, sometimes I need to temporarily put some papers next to the tablet for work. In addition, the correct music rest height (and distance), which is comparable to the height of an acoustic grand piano, will be always very important to me.

D
D
I love the idea of the articulated arm for your music stand, but I already have a 4K monitor on a wall-mounted arm behind my keyboard, so that wouldn’t work for me. I am loving a sturdy desk-top music stand from Guitar Center. $24.99. I move it off the desk when I’m using the monitor.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Proline/PL53-Tabletop-Sheet-Music-Stand-Black-1274228076941.gc?pfm=recs&recs_dtl=item_page.rr1%7CclickCP2

Numa X Piano GT, Korg D1, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Garritan CFX, PianoTeq 8, BIAB, Logic Pro X, NI Komplete 12, Symphobia 1 and 3, Spitfire BBCSO Core
J
JoeF Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I actually have a 2nd arm with a monitor mounted next to the music rest. That's the best thing about using monitor arms - it's so easily adjustable, you can simply push the rest out of the way when you are not using it.

Because I have the music rest mounted from the side, it's a little too large and cumbersome to push to the side (it's blocked by the table). But it's really easy to pull the monitor in front of the rest.

Here's a picture of it.

[Linked Image]

J
JoeF Offline OP
OP Offline
J
@HZPiano, have you considered using a 4ft by 2ft sheet of aluminum? It should be cheaper than 2 music stands if you don't need the stand or tilt adjustment. When I first got the music rest, my first thought was 'They are charging me this much for a bent piece of aluminum?'.

Last edited by JoeF; 09/01/21 03:08 PM.
Tyr Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Tyr
I ordered the "Music Rack for Kawai ES-7/ES-8 Black/Acrylic" from the local store nearby. I hope it's the HM-4 Music rest with another name. xD

Luckily i got the HM-4 music rest for a bunch of €. It fits the MP11SE as it has the same measures for the music rest like the VPC-1, MP7, ES7 and ES8. Now it looks good.

Kawai: NV5 | Yamaha: CLP-745R
Pianoteq 7 Pro | Garritan CFX Full | Vienna Imperial | Keyscape Full | Ravenscroft 275 - Modern U - Model D - AG | Minigrand | The Oeser
H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

Originally Posted by JoeF
@HZPiano, have you considered using a 4ft by 2ft sheet of aluminum?

Not in particular (and that would be too large), but as I have too many DIY projects already, I am very happy with off-the-shelf rests that only need a DIY mount to my piano stand, which will be much simpler than making the whole thing myself.

Cheers and happy projects,

HZ

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission