2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
65 members (accordeur, brdwyguy, brennbaer, august112, Brendan, 36251, bxrdad1, Bill McKaig,RPT, 10 invisible), 1,329 guests, and 512 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Wie Waldi
Question1:
Do you always look to the sheet music and never, never ever take your eyes from the sheet music and rely on muscle memory your fingers find the right keys, even if your hands must jump?
I look at the keyboard whenever I need to. How often depends on how 'jumpy' the notes are. Some pieces for example, have fast consecutive chords in both hands that leap more than an octave. With others, for example those from the Classical era, I might hardly ever look down.

Question2:
Do you only read the notes you are currently playing or do you read a few notes ahead? And if you read ahead, do you know exactly each note or do you just see a vague direction if the following notes are higher or lower for making a better fingering?
Depends on the piece, its patterns of notes (if any), my familiarity with the patterns (or lack of) etc.

For instance, a piece with a straightforward arpeggiated pattern in LH that changes every bar and RH melody (whether in octaves or chords or single notes) can be 'read' one bar in advance, because it just takes one glance. But a piece with chords in both hands that keep changing will be read one beat at a time, like this famous one (in its outer chordal sections):

Question3:
About chords, someone said to always go bottom-up. Reading the lowest note, recognize the pattern of the chord and then the hand knows what to do. Makes sense for the right hand, absolute agreed! But do you do it also for the left hand? I made up my mind about it and found reasons for going bottom-up and also for top-down:
Actually, I read chords whole, both hands at the same time - as in that Rach prelude above. I'm used to reading big chords in both hands, because I've played (sight-read or learnt) so many pieces that contain them.

Note that I'm just giving my answers as they apply to me, as you requested. If I was giving advice to a beginner, they would be somewhat different.

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
It is interesting op when I was a child I used to write the letters under every note as you are doing. I quickly learnt most of the notes. I however still use the for notes far away from the stave. I'm not sure how I transitioned. Also a very difficult chord I will put in the letters next to it. A few times like with Rachmaninoff pieces, as you can see, my teacher helps he identify the chords and if it's chord with a name sometimes will write the names like rG minor 7 etc. I remember a very complicated cadenza (Chopin c sharp op 45) and my teacher explained the chord pattern and wrote out the chord pattern. I need help with this one as I'm not very strong at identifying chords but hugely helpful as at times it can make a crazy note system into an simple pattern. All strategies that you can use. I notes many people hear memorise everything so you'll get differences of opinions but I use the score and mark it to help. Don't be afraid to use any strategy if it help you !

Last edited by Moo :); 08/23/21 06:10 PM.
R
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by parapiano
I am really curious how you would answer this question for your own without reading other people opinions, because this often causes to copy a statement from a member who is widely respected. (And the opinion snowball starts in either this or that direction)
In my opinion as a skilled sightreader, nothing is more important than note recognition. Think of how touch typing trains your brain to respond to a visual stimulus by reaching for the correct key on the keyboard without conscious thought. That's the fundamental skill of sightreading at the piano keyboard, and it's a prerequisite to recognizing intervals and chords.
Wouldn't interval recognition be equally fundamental, as it would eventually allow you to see large chunks of sheet music based on recognizing patterns?

OP Offline
Thanks a lot, everyone. There is a lot of information coming in this thread without drifting offtopic. And really every comment was contributing very good information.

Originally Posted by Qazsedcft
many lines later
Sorry for the long rant. I wanted to give a glipse into my thought process when reading music.
Rant?? No way! Your thoughts had been very valuable for me. Thanks for sharing them with so much details. thumb

@Parapiano: Your advice with flash cards is obviously good and nobody else talked about. But I guess everyone took it as granted to do this as a kind of learning the letters of the alphabet before reading whole words. Advice-Upgrade: drop flash cards, go for an app on your smartphone. This is more fun, faster, you have it always in your pocket and it can come as a game with highscores and some entertainment.... Basically same idea, but with smartphone.
Generally your post is really great, it's like you summed up this video.. Especially about fingering during sight reading. wow

Bottom line: if I read through the answers, the short form of the summarized summary looks like this (if I made a summary of that summarized summary):

Q1:Is looking down strictly forbidden?
(Try to) Avoid looking down as good as you can and as long the situation allows (but if you must look down, then do it)

Q2: Lookahead?
Various answers like
"if look-ahead comes from alone, great. If it is not there, don't force it" (this releases learning pressure, thanks)
"use it to recognize broken chords, so you have read a short melody sequence in a glance" (great one)

Q3: Different opinions:
"only bottom-up"
"sometimes bottom-up, sometimes top-down, it depends"
"I catch everything at a glance, but I can't tell how exactly I manage to do this"

Originally Posted by Sam S
An actual experiment using eye-tracking: Where pianists look when they play
Wonderful video. The teachers playing from memory settled final my decision for Q3: I will learn to read LH chords top down! IMHO there is no reason not to do, but a very good one to do so:
Half a second before a hand jump, his eye goes to the position of the thumb. (Or the point finger, if the inner note isn't played with the thumb) In this time the brain programs the movement of the hand. (Similar like one can catch a flying tennisball, even if the eyes are closed shortly before really catching it.) This hand movement has its eye's focus point always at the future thumb position. (Or whatever finger he uses to press that key) And for the left hand, it is always the top note of the chord.

Only exception: If the new hand postions is only required to play a single note on the outside of the keyboard, then he focuses only this position and he uses the pinky. (0:54). But well - this is not about chord playing, so there is no exception to his looking behaviour.

Self teaching Adult Beginner without method | Kawai CN29, Senn HD560s
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
OP - if you're looking for an app to help with note recognition I've found the Tenuto app pretty good!

OP Offline
Originally Posted by Moo :)
I think this is the 10,000th thread about sight reading OP - you will win a price. A grand piano of your choosing !!! Whoooop
thumbyippie but sorry, you can read in my endless trolling in DP forum, I don't have the place for an acoustic frown

I've crossread many of the other recent sight reading threads, but honestly I didn't find the answers as I did in this thread. Most of them drifted offtopic. Or it was just an endless discussion about the difference between sight-reading and reading. And IF sight reading is important at all. And if solo concert pianists should do it or not. But none of them handled about what is happening in the head during (sight-)reading.

Last edited by Wie Waldi; 08/23/21 07:36 PM.

OP Offline
Originally Posted by fatar760
OP - if you're looking for an app to help with note recognition I've found the Tenuto app pretty good!
Thanks. Didn't find it for Android. But I use a very simple one at home, one I can bluetooth connect to my piano for note input. It's basic, but it comes very close to flash cards - and it's free.

And I have another one in the style of a computer game like "bartender". Notes are coming from right side and I have to hit them before they reach the left side. Increasing speed and 3 difficulty levels. This I can play while waiting for the bus.

And after I learned this note-alphabet, I ll dive into "Sightreading & Harmony" book. Someone recommended this to me smile

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thanks. Didn't find it for Android. But I use a very simple one at home, one I can bluetooth connect to my piano for note input. It's basic, but it comes very close to flash cards - and it's free.

And I have another one in the style of a computer game like "bartender". Notes are coming from right side and I have to hit them before they reach the left side. Increasing speed and 3 difficulty levels. This I can play while waiting for the bus.

And after I learned this note-alphabet, I ll dive into "Sightreading & Harmony" book. Someone recommended this to me smile

This may well have been me!

Actually, a further thing which I've recently discovered, is that there are a load of sight-reading pdfs on Scrib'd. Might be worth trialling it for a month and downloading loads of free pdfs to your device!

S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
Q1:Is looking down strictly forbidden?
(Try to) Avoid looking down as good as you can and as long the situation allows (but if you must look down, then do it)

Q2: Lookahead?
Various answers like
"if look-ahead comes from alone, great. If it is not there, don't force it" (this releases learning pressure, thanks)
"use it to recognize broken chords, so you have read a short melody sequence in a glance" (great one)

Q3: Different opinions:
"only bottom-up"
"sometimes bottom-up, sometimes top-down, it depends"
"I catch everything at a glance, but I can't tell how exactly I manage to do this"

Regarding looking ahead, It is not something one can force but it is a consequence not a cause. I.e if you recognize patterns quickly enough and you can execute them easily and you can remember what to play, then you can move on to the next bar. Otherwise you'll stay with the current bar.

I often see advice for people to read ahead, but that makes little sense. Reading ahead is the consequence of your ability to read fast. If you cant manage to read fast enough the current bar, then you cant go to the next.

As one become a faster reader, then anticipating becomes natural.

Q3: I dont specifically look at any particular note in the chord. I just recognize the chord itself, but the bass line is always important to keep your attention on.

N
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
N
There are a few misconceptions here about reading chords. First of all, I don't need to know what chord it is to play it and most of the time I don't even need to know all the notes. Reading chords is mostly about reading patterns. For example, let's say I see this:
[Linked Image]
Source: Heller op. 45, no. 15

I don't care that it's a D minor chord nor do I need to. I just look at the pattern of notes and find the notes intuitively. For the RH I place my 1 on F and intuitively feel the interval of a sixth. For the LH the first thing I see is an octave starting on D so I start by placing my hand in the shape of an octave on D, then I place my finger 2 on the note in the middle, which is a fifth above the lower D or a fourth below the upper D. Reading chords is more about associating the particular patterns of notes on the page to a particular hand/finger pattern in this manner than about knowing the specific notes of the chord.

2 mistakes :
I bet you $ 100 bucks that 1) if you didn't know that this is a D minor chord, and 2) if this chord hadn't sounded in your head beforehand, it would take you more time to find all the notes.Since you cannot, for natural reasons, test it for yourself, then test it on the students.

P
Online Blank
P
Originally Posted by Nahum
There are a few misconceptions here about reading chords. First of all, I don't need to know what chord it is to play it and most of the time I don't even need to know all the notes. Reading chords is mostly about reading patterns. For example, let's say I see this:
[Linked Image]

I don't care that it's a D minor chord nor do I need to. I just look at the pattern of notes and find the notes intuitively. For the RH I place my 1 on F and intuitively feel the interval of a sixth. For the LH the first thing I see is an octave starting on D so I start by placing my hand in the shape of an octave on D, then I place my finger 2 on the note in the middle, which is a fifth above the lower D or a fourth below the upper D. Reading chords is more about associating the particular patterns of notes on the page to a particular hand/finger pattern in this manner than about knowing the specific notes of the chord.

2 mistakes :
I bet you $ 100 bucks that 1) if you didn't know that this is a D minor chord, and 2) if this chord hadn't sounded in your head beforehand, it would take you more time to find all the notes.Since you cannot, for natural reasons, test it for yourself, then test it on the students.

How do you know the key signature?

2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
[Linked Image]

The first example is straightforward. Just by looking at the score we can tell it's in 2/4 and assumed to be in C major. There is a lot of repetition that we don't need to read every note and can anticipate what comes next.

[Linked Image]

The second example is far more complex like a Bach fugue. Before coming to the last bar with LH & RH chords, the bar before is not something many people would be able to play accurately reading the first time. The Time Signature is in 12/8 with 4 groups of triplets. And there are tie notes that make counting confusing for beginner and intermediate players. And then there are notes with different beat values overlapping and notes with ledger lines.

The first example beginner & intermediate players should be able to learn the notes in an hour. The second example at least 2 or more practice sessions.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
An hour for intermediate on the first exercise? It all seems quite arbitrary but I can't fathom why you'd think an intermediate would take so long.

Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
An hour for intermediate on the first exercise? It all seems quite arbitrary but I can't fathom why you'd think an intermediate would take so long.

Shouldn’t an intermediate player be able to sight-read the first example immediately?

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
P
Online Blank
P
Originally Posted by thepianoplayer416
The first example beginner & intermediate players should be able to learn the notes in an hour. The second example at least 2 or more practice sessions.
If we're still discussing sightreading, the amount of time to 'learn the notes' is meaningless. The first example is appropriate for a beginner to sightread, and the second one is appropriate to an intermediate player, but we'll still need to know the key signature in any case.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dogperson

Shouldn’t an intermediate player be able to sight-read the first example immediately?

Yes, I'd say so.

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Technical pointer: first sample is in Gmaj.

2nd sample: not easy to learn for beginners, not in2 sessions. Imho. Learning to play 3 voices and expressing each one in the right dynamics 😩

Dream came true : playing the piano
Kawai CS11/Yamaha Arius 161
lessons: 150 hours + counting
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Re the post: like many posted before me, I will look at both the keys and the score. If the score requires your hands to jump to another part of the board then I recommend your eyes move to that next note …it’s a nano second movement…makes for a smoother transition. Often it’s for one hand you do this as the other hand ‘finds’ the right note..you need to figure out which hand needs a little help.

Dream came true : playing the piano
Kawai CS11/Yamaha Arius 161
lessons: 150 hours + counting
[Linked Image]

2 mistakes :
I bet you $ 100 bucks that 1) if you didn't know that this is a D minor chord, and 2) if this chord hadn't sounded in your head beforehand, it would take you more time to find all the notes. Since you cannot, for natural reasons, test it for yourself, then test it on the students.

Something different.

The first thing we're missing is key signature and clefs. With a key signature, the D minor chord might be D major. With different clefs, even with no sharps and flats, you could end up with B dim, or B half dim.

Meanwhile those chords within a musical context can also bring in anticipation as to what those chords would logically be.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by keystring
[Linked Image]

2 mistakes :
I bet you $ 100 bucks that 1) if you didn't know that this is a D minor chord, and 2) if this chord hadn't sounded in your head beforehand, it would take you more time to find all the notes. Since you cannot, for natural reasons, test it for yourself, then test it on the students.

Something different.

The first thing we're missing is key signature and clefs. With a key signature, the D minor chord might be D major. With different clefs, even with no sharps and flats, you could end up with B dim, or B half dim.

Meanwhile those chords within a musical context can also bring in anticipation as to what those chords would logically be.

It's a waste of energy making this a moot point.

The person who posted this was talking about recognising patterns and chord shapes. To flag up what is lacking in the information is an unnecessary and pointless diversion, of which the OP was looking to avoid.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
Our Fall 2021 Free Newsletter is Out , see it here!
---------------------
Selling my Hammond & Leslie!
---------------------
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Effect of volume on experience of action
by op299 - 10/17/21 04:35 AM
A la recherche du Pete14 perdu
by Fleer - 10/16/21 11:57 PM
Jazz piano chord progression Mary did you know
by Nicepianoman39 - 10/16/21 10:17 PM
Climate Change & Boom
by Xam - 10/16/21 08:18 PM
Upright Piano Decisions… - Boston vs Schimmel
by Pianofly - 10/16/21 08:16 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,627
Posts3,140,257
Members103,028
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission