2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Week Deals
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
32 members (busa, astrotoy, ando, cygnusdei, Dfrankjazz, 12 invisible), 459 guests, and 420 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
OP Offline
P
Hello everyone!

I decided that it's about time I learn to play the piano. So the hunt for my first digital piano has begun, and this jungle is thick.
I mainly produce/compose music in [insert DAW] but this purchase is more for hours upon hours of practice rather than putting down quick riffs. The sound of the piano will not be of major importance seeing as VST's + my KRK monitors will probably provide a deeper experience. USB>PC is therefore a fat bonus, but MIDI would do as well.
Frankly, I am underwhelmed by the feel of most digital pianos I've tried, and this is my main focus. To me a CLP775 didn't win over a Casio CDP-130 by a landslide in terms of feel. Might be much due to my inexperience as well I'm aware. Grew up with an upright at home and it's just different leagues of course.

So what I've come across so far:
Kawai ES8 - 800$
Kawai ES920 - 1150$
(1700 new)
Privia PX770 - 450$ (800 new)
Yamaha P155 - 900$ (1500 new)
Casio CDP130 - 250-300$ (might as well grab a new CDP-S100 then as it's 350 new)

I heard the FP30 has a good action for it's price, but I spent four hours at the local shop and after 15 minutes on this I was fatigued (felt like unnecessary resistance in the keys). Tried it a couple more times and it felt easier, but still fatiguing.
If this is something I'll get used to, there is one for 400$

Yamaha P155 keys feel light but with a fair return, minimal sponge.
Casio PX770/PX-S1000 a bit mushier with a slower return while a
Roland HP704 (2000$ new) for example feels snappier and more to my liking although not as overly resistant as the FP30.
The difference between HP704 and CLP775 was negligible to me. By then it was more about the sound. Nord felt nice as well but they start at 1500 used.
Going to the capital tomorrow to visit the only Kawai reseller - the flagship store! I am hoping they feel different to everything I've tried as most posts I've read here praises them.

I live in Sweden, and our prices are skewed it seems? Secondhand market just as much.
We have limited Kawai support so it feels a bit on the coin-toss side if it holds up over the years.

So - cheapest possible or all in? I won't be able to upgrade for 2-3 years due to economy.

Have a good one!
André

Last edited by pangkaka; 08/19/21 05:07 PM.
C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by pangkaka
Casio CDP130 - 250-300$ (might as well grab a new CDP-S100 then as it's 350 new)

The hammer action isn't the same in CDP and CDP-S.

CDP as far as I know is what a few generations old Privia and Celviano models used.

CDP-S has a rather new more compact design that's also shared with the PX-S models minus some software trickery.

C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
The Yamaha P-155 at $900 is overpriced. And the "new" price is kind of irrelevant and it's such an old model. There was the P-255 after that for many years and then came the P-515.

P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by clothearednincompo
The hammer action isn't the same in CDP and CDP-S.

CDP as far as I know is what a few generations old Privia and Celviano models used.

CDP-S has a rather new more compact design that's also shared with the PX-S models minus some software trickery.

Would you say the S is a step up or a step down? As I can play no complicated passages or such I mainly get my impression from simple chords, and the short time I spent on both the Privia and CDP-S they felt quite similar. Could it have been a refurbished PX770 that I played? Didn't get hold of an employee to ask.

Originally Posted by clothearednincompo
The Yamaha P-155 at $900 is overpriced. And the "new" price is kind of irrelevant and it's such an old model. There was the P-255 after that for many years and then came the P-515.

Fair point. I'll correct the post as I was referring to the P-515 being priced at 1500 new. Would a P255 at 1000$ be more of a bargain? I would offer 800.

And thank you!

C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Kawai ES920 - 1150$ (1700 new)

I'd spend the extra money (above $1000) for that. It's a pretty new model, "mid-range" rather than entry-level. It has a better action, and (I think) better sound generator, than the lower-priced competitors.

The "used" price seems reasonable.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Would you say the S is a step up or a step down?
Actions are subjective, but the Casio models you list actually use a variety of actions...

CDP-130 = "Scaled Hammer Action Keyboard," is what they called their first generation hammer action (at least this century; I don't know whether they ever made other hammer actions longer ago), so this one is presumably similar or identical to the early Privia models (PX-x00, PX-x10, PX-x20), which may not have all been identical, but at least seemed very similar. My opinion may not be common, but this happens to be my favorite Casio action, it's pretty light and quick which I like, though it can get noisy as it gets old, probably from compression of the felt strips.

Privia PX-770 = "Tri-Sensor II Scaled Hammer Action," their third generation (similar or identical to the Privia PX-x50, PX-x60, PX-5S, CGP-700) - has textured keys and a third sensor (though one whose placement is not as effective as on some other three-sensor boards). I don't like it quite as much as their first action, but it's still good, and I found it to be an improvement on the second generation action that was in between the two ("Tri-Sensor Scaled Hammer Action Keyboard" as on the PX-x30).

CDP-S100 and PX-S1000 use their current (so 4th generation) actions, "Scaled Weighted Hammer Action Keyboard" on the former and "Smart Scaled Hammer Action Keyboard" on the latter which I believe adds some software tweaking to the same mechanics to improve performance (the "smart" part). I think it feels pretty similar to the previous action, but a little better in having less bounce on the return, but also a little worse by being less even in response from the front of the keys to the back. It also loses the third sensor. Some people think this is better overall than their previous action, some people prefer the previous action.

M
M
@anotherscot you seem well versed in Casio history. We have a Celvanio AP-45 from over 10 years ago, and possibly looking to upgrade mainly for better action. I assumed as its so old it’ll be ancient and lots better will be available. Is that the case or am I looking at serious money for a big improvement? (we are potentially looking at Kawai CA79/99/NV5 if necessary)

H
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

@mrklaw, The three Kawai options you mention embody serious improvements over your current piano. I would be over the moon if I could afford and play any one of these three models.

Cheers and happy decision making,

HZ

I
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I
The ES8 sounds great if it’s not too old and in good condition. Is it from a dealer and do they offer a warranty? I have an ES8 and love it. The action on the 920 is basically the same.

Jazz at www.newartistsrecords.com. Search Michael Levy. Use Safari for free tracks.
https://soundcloud.com/michael-levy-387395070 for jazz, classical, world, rock tracks Albums on Bandcamp: https://michaelalevy.bandcamp.com/music
Kawai ES8, Casio PXS3000
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Fair point. I'll correct the post as I was referring to the P-515 being priced at 1500 new.
The P-155 was priced $1000 when new.

Yamaha P-515

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
David Lai -- Mozart K. 482
by HZPiano - 12/04/21 03:08 AM
Allegretto from Granados Escenas Romanticas Fingering
by luthierone - 12/03/21 11:57 PM
Ohio Valley Gem
by Jayekanan - 12/03/21 11:10 PM
For those who play David Nevue
by ShiroKuro - 12/03/21 10:39 PM
Tone of a Fazioli Piano and How to Voice it?
by PianoLover123 - 12/03/21 06:07 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics210,377
Posts3,150,505
Members103,510
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission