2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
40 members (David B, CraiginNZ, axomas, 80k, Emeraldwynn, anamnesis, 12 invisible), 725 guests, and 263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
N
N
Hey I only submitted one answer, so although I only got 1 out of 7, my "correct rate" is 100% grin

I think the take away is Steinway does have a unique sound that is relatively easy to identify, and that is not only because most albums were recorded with Steinway so most of us are more familiar with the sound.

C
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by noyes
Hey I only submitted one answer, so although I only got 1 out of 7, my "correct rate" is 100% grin

I think the take away is Steinway does have a unique sound that is relatively easy to identify, and that is not only because most albums were recorded with Steinway so most of us are more familiar with the sound.
I'd add that I never said Steinway was one of the 7 pianos, so the fact that you correctly picked it out perhaps means you really know your Steinway.

(but if Steinway were not one of them, would people cry foul? hahaha)

Last edited by cygnusdei; 08/19/21 01:58 PM.

A rising tide lifts all the boats
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
So piano no5 ("sounds fragile and hollow") is a C Bechstein., However, cheer up Bechstein owners it's still "good for Bach's fast movements...."

Hakki you must have the biggest earphone around and a qualification in magic.However Congratulations!
To the OP this thread may have been less pretentiously presented. Perhaps it could been just introduced as a series samples of different brands (despite the difficulties of recording and the other variables obviously present)

Remember that out of tune Pleyel thread..?

My piano's voice is my voice to God and the great unknown universe, and to those I love.In other words a hymn.That is all, but that is enough.Life goes on, despite pain and fear.Music is beautiful,life is beautiful.

C
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by tre corda
To the OP this thread may have been less pretentiously presented. Perhaps it could been just introduced as a series samples of different brands (despite the difficulties of recording and the other variables obviously present)
Haha, yes (note to self: wines and pianos don't mix). I forgot to recap your answers, but I think you were noncommittal and threw in the towel grin
I'm just sad that 'the other 3' (Grotrian, Steingraeber, Sauter) are not represented.

W
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
W
Vocaroo certainly ensured a level playing field for the quiz !!!

Ian Russell
Schiedmayer & Soehne, 1925 Model 14, 140cm
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by cygnusdei
OE1FEU gets 1 answer correct - does he actually recognize the Blüthner sound, or it's just a fluke? (1:7 chance, because I already said one of the pianos is a Blüthner)

One answer correct with one answer given is 100% correct.

I win.

Me, Hatto hero.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Oh Well! LOL

1961-1964: Lester or Emerson Upright
1969-1992: Westbrook Spinet
1991-2021: Schomacker Model A (1912) "Schoowie"
2021-Present: Steinway Model A (1912) "Amalia"

To Listen to my Music is to know me. To know me all you need do is listen to my music.
C
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
C
Well this is something. I highlighted out Piano 5 as 'fragile and hollow' because I've heard exactly that quality before in Jörg Demus' vintage WTC recordings. I've always wondered what piano he played because it suits Bach very well. Going with this lead, I did a little sleuthing and - apparently Demus was a 'Bechstein Artist' !

"My hands, my heart, and my ears love Bechstein."
JÖRG DEMUS
https://www.bechstein.com/en/the-world-of-bechstein/pianists/joerg-demus/

Now I can say with reasonable confidence that he indeed recorded the WTC (and complete Schumann works) on Bechstein - how's that for 'fragile and hollow' ?

But apparently sometime later he crossed over to being a Steinway Artist - there are even videos recently uploaded of him giving WTC tutorials on a Steinway, which of course sounds 'round and bloomy'.

Last edited by cygnusdei; 08/20/21 04:24 AM.

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Plot twist, Hakki googled every Aria from Bach Goldberg Variations BWV 988, and compared them with your 7 samples to see if they matched.

C
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by pold
Plot twist, Hakki googled every Aria from Bach Goldberg Variations BWV 988, and compared them with your 7 samples to see if they matched.
Haha, that's certainly not outside the realms of possibility. But you understand why initially I wanted this to be a totally open ended problem, because constraining the options to the 'top 10' already simplifies the piano universe significantly.

Let's see if I can even come with the next 10 names (that aren't so obscure): Feurich, Brodmann, Estonia, Mason & Hamlin, Petrof, Schimell, Kayserburg, August Förster, Baldwin, Charles Walter, Hailun (my baby grand!).

Last edited by cygnusdei; 08/20/21 07:17 AM.

2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
Well this is something. I highlighted out Piano 5 as 'fragile and hollow' because I've heard exactly that quality before in Jörg Demus' vintage WTC recordings. I've always wondered what piano he played because it suits Bach very well. Going with this lead, I did a little sleuthing and - apparently Demus was a 'Bechstein Artist' !

"My hands, my heart, and my ears love Bechstein."
JÖRG DEMUS
https://www.bechstein.com/en/the-world-of-bechstein/pianists/joerg-demus/

Now I can say with reasonable confidence that he indeed recorded the WTC (and complete Schumann works) on Bechstein - how's that for 'fragile and hollow' ?

But apparently sometime later he crossed over to being a Steinway Artist - there are even videos recently uploaded of him giving WTC tutorials on a Steinway, which of course sounds 'round and bloomy'.
Have ever played a CBechstein grand?

My piano's voice is my voice to God and the great unknown universe, and to those I love.In other words a hymn.That is all, but that is enough.Life goes on, despite pain and fear.Music is beautiful,life is beautiful.

C
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
C
who? me? no. why? you?

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
who? me? no. why? you?
While you might use words like "hollow" and "fragile" to describe a Bechstein's tone, most would find those words uncomplimentary, and I think few would use those terms.

C
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
While you might use words like "hollow" and "fragile" to describe a Bechstein's tone, most would find those words uncomplimentary, and I think few would use those terms.
Kiri Te Kanawa's voice is often described as 'creamy'. I guess a lactose intolerant might find it uncomplimentary.

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Thank you cygnusde for providing such a tantalising listening test during a bleak Covid-19 lockdown in Auckland and congratulations to Hakki on his fantastic result. It was also an excellent choice of music which offered a transparent tonal texture to help us assess each piano individually.
Much appreciated,
Robert.

2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Kiri Te Kanawa's voice is often described as 'creamy'. I guess a lactose intolerant might find it uncomplimentary.
You may be surprised to find out that the singer herself would find it unpleasant to hear that "some people" describe her voice as "creamy".She may not even not suffer from the condition you mentioned.

C
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
C
You may be surprised to find out that the singer herself would find it unpleasant to hear that "some people" describe her voice as "creamy".She may not even not suffer from the condition you mentioned.
Would it be these people?

Chicago Tribune (1985) "It's hard not to be seduced by the creamy opulence of her sound."

Mail & Guardian (1995) "After a long career in opera, her voice still does not show any seams between the registers, and its legendary creamy quality remains unblemished, still without its equal."

Wall Street Journal (2004) "Ms. Te Kanawa's voice remains luscious and creamy ..."

WQXR (2012) " ... her soprano was so often called 'creamy' ..."

Reuters (2014) " ... giving the audience a glimpse of her famous creamy high notes."

NPR (2017) " ... performed on all of the world's great opera and concert stages with a luscious, famously creamy sound."

Last edited by cygnusdei; 08/20/21 11:08 PM.

2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
Would it be these people?

Chicago Tribune (1985) "It's hard not to be seduced by the creamy opulence of her sound."

Mail & Guardian (1995) "After a long career in opera, her voice still does not show any seams between the registers, and its legendary creamy quality remains unblemished, still without its equal."

Wall Street Journal (2004) "Ms. Te Kanawa's voice remains luscious and creamy ..."

WQXR (2012) " ... her soprano was so often called 'creamy' ..."

Reuters (2014) " ... giving the audience a glimpse of her famous creamy high notes."

NPR (2017) " ... performed on all of the world's great opera and concert stages with a luscious, famously creamy sound."
Yes I am sure it put her off cream for life!
"Creamy", is just an expression.It is not an exact term for describing a person's voice.It probably would be more accurate to talk about a "rich tone" as opposed to a thin tone."Richness of tone"implies a tone rich in overtones."Fragile and hollow" suggests perhaps a weak, "nasal sound" to me.It could never mean a wonderful tone.

C
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
C
"Fragile and hollow" suggests perhaps a weak, "nasal sound" to me.It could never mean a wonderful tone.
I'm sorry but to me that's the closest I can describe the sound. But if it offends you so from now on I'll refer to it as 'f****** and h*****'.

2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
Hey cygnusdei we are all just human and we perceive and describe tone differently because of our past references.(ideas and experiences)The usual and perhaps more acceptable ways of describing tone is usually bright, mellow, clear, pure, strident, bell like etc.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Haessler
by PianistEsq - 07/06/22 12:05 AM
Garritan CFX sustain problem
by mwf - 07/05/22 11:29 PM
First digital piano for my almost 6 year-old son.
by New2music - 07/05/22 10:54 PM
What Level is this Arrangement?
by showard - 07/05/22 09:36 PM
which piano? or other options?
by NJ_Piano_Mom - 07/05/22 08:27 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,823
Posts3,205,742
Members105,732
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission