2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (busa, benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, 4 invisible), 1,288 guests, and 287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
More comments -

30. Wie Waldi - The Entertainer A jaunty rendition of this popular rag played with aplomb. Great accuracy and steady tempo. Bravo! The sky’s the limit for you.

32. Maira713 - Op. 1 No. 4 ("24 Short and Easy Pieces for Keyboard") Beautifully played. Congratulations!

36. Talao - Sonatina in G Major Anh. 5 (both movements) Very enjoyable performance. You get a nice tone from your piano, have good sense of balance, dynamics and even tempo. I can see you’re moving quickly to more challenging pieces. Congratulations!

37. Purrblast - Sonatina in A minor (Op. 27. No. 18) Solid and musical playing. I think you’re ready to move onto some Chopin, Schumann, or Bach intermediate level pieces.

38. facdo - Impromptu in E flat Major Op.90 No.2 I think this may be the most impressive performance of the recital. You have very relaxed hands which allows you to play quickly and evenly. I don’t have any suggestions to improve it. OK, one small suggestion. Hold onto that RH note in the middle section so that it’s sustained. You play as if you have about 20 years of experience!

Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
09. QuasiUnaFantasia - Stimmungsbilder, opus 9 no. 4: Traumerei I’m unfamiliar with this beautiful piece. Dreamy indeed - I loved your pace and dynamics.

10. Flygbladet - Tonbilder part 2 "barnmenuett" (Childrens menuett) Lots of variety in this (once again) unfamiliar piece. You made the most of every nuance, so well played! (If you still need a ‘tip on coming back’, just listen to your recording of this piece, it’s inspirational.)

11. JJHLH - Feuillet d'Album Op 45, No 1 Three unknown-to-me pieces in a row. I found this delicate and lovely; your touch was just right.

12. pianist685 (Constantin) - Prelude and Allegro HWV 576 Well, you were right about ‘breathtaking trills’. Loved your entire sparkling performance - thank you!

13. Alpha Terminus - Lotus Land Welcome back after a long break! I think this pensive and meditative piece was well-named. You brought out the mood really well - nice!

14. AndresVel - Two-Part Inventions, No. 8 in F major (BWV 779) Splendid - a clean and clear touch, you have every right to be proud of your performance. I’m looking forward to the next one.

15. Serge88 - Boogie Blues Etude Ah, some swinging blues. Your composition slipped in seamlessly - the tiger and I enjoyed it very much.

16. vte - Vieux Noel in G minor That was a sweet little piece, and a cool choice for a hot day. Well done!

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]Quarterly recitals from #38

My Yamaha C3 and Kawai ES110 with Pianoteq: the best of both worlds?
A
A
Originally Posted by Wie Waldi
14. AndresVel - Two-Part Inventions, No. 8 in F major (BWV 779) Mich erstaunt immer wieder, wie sauber Du spielst. Du hast eine perfekte Ton-Seperation. (Gibt's das Wort überhaupt?) Ebenso ist bei dir sowohl das Tempo-halten als auch die Kontrolle über die Lautstärke beeindruckend. Kaum zu glauben, dass Du gerade mal vor einem Jahr mit dem Klavier angefangen hast. Dazu kommt, dass dieses Stück lediglich eines von 40 in diesem Jahr ist. In so kurzer Zeit eine so perfekte Performance - wow. Man merkt sofort, dass Du es mit diesem Hobby ernst meinst und ich bin mir sicher, dass wir noch viele grossartige Stücke von Dir hören werden.
(English translation: thumb)
Danke Wie Waldi für Deine schönen Worte :)) Es freut mich riesig, dass es Dir gefallen hat. Ich investiere schon eine gute Menge Zeit am Tag am Klavier, und es ist immer schön zu erfahren, dass andere meine Aufnahmen auch geniessen. Ich habe ausser meinem Klavierlehrer keine Bekannten oder Freunde, die sich mit Musik beschätigen. Drum lege ich grossen Wert auf die Recitals und auf dieses Forum, auf dem ich mit anderen meine Liebe für Musik teilen kann. Ich denke ich habe mein Lieblingshobby entdeckt laugh Ich danke Dir schon wieder für das schöne Feedback

Originally Posted by PianogrlNW
14. AndresVel - Two-Part Inventions, No. 8 in F major (BWV 779) Your performance shows skill in even, fluid playing and the ability to bring out the different voices. The tempo could be a bit faster with some varying dynamics, but with only 1 year experience playing you’re way ahead of the curve. I would like to hear you play a piece that has more emotional content, such as some of the shorter, intermediate level pieces by Schumann, Chopin, Debussy, MacDowell.
Thank you very much Ellen for your feedback. I very much appreciate it. It is true that I have not dived yet into romantic music with the exception of some very short pieces from romantic russian composers. I have been working on some pieces by Schumann, which I am still in due to upload. Romantic music is a challenge in itself for what you mention (A bit more emotion and a different expression comes into play) and I am really looking forward to discover it. I very much love baroque and classical compositions. The Bach inventions also usually take me more time than any other piece I have attempted and that is why I tend to see them as the challenge to showcase here in the recitals. I will try to mix it up for the future recitals. Thank you again for your feedback smile

Originally Posted by Talão
14. AndresVel - Two-Part Inventions, No. 8 in F major (BWV 779)
Very clean and very well controlled. I like it very much. I haven't gotten the courage to try Bach inventions yet. I want to work on a few more "little preludes" first. One goal for my 3rd year that just started is to work on at least one invention.
Hola Talão. Thanks for your comment on my piece. I really appreciate it. I think you will enjoy the challenge of working on an invention. They are very rewarding in my opinion. Looking forward to listen to your first take on one of the set.

Thank you also peterws, lilypad, and MarieJ for your comment on my piece. I am glad you enjoyed it smile

Inspired adult beginner, melomaniac
M&H Model 50 (Dumbo), Kawai CA49. Previously: Sabel S123 (Tucan)
What I have been learning
PW Listening Party
A
A
I have also some more comments. Amazing stuff so far

03. sma55 (Shepherd Abrams) - Sonata in C Major K545 I think you have all the right to feel proud for your performance and your efforts to get the piece to the high level you show us here. It is true that there are things one could improve (I think this is always the case for everyone, does not matter the piece or the skill level), but in general you shared with us a very good recording. Technically, I agree with others who have commented before, I think you are selling yourself short, and you are showcasing good technical control overall. I liked a lot the playfulness of the first mvmt. You used both hands nicely to add dynamics. The only think I noticed was that you rushed some measures, usually those finishing with a trill. I liked the second mvmt a lot, lovely phrasing. The 3rd mvmt was very playful as well. I loved the new mics as well! amazing clarity and color in the sound of your piano. Thank you for sharing. This is very inspiring for me as a beginners around here smile

04. Sam S - Etude 2 Wow, what a journey this was. I really like this piece and you did an outstanding job Sam. It is not the first time I end up very much impressed by Glass' works. The climax towards 2/3 of the piece was very impressive and you did a great job building up momentum. I also enjoyed a lot your video. Beautiful pictures, what a beautiful planet we live in. Thank you very much for sharing smile

13. Alpha Terminus - Lotus Land I loved your submission! I did not know about Cyril Scott. Thank you for introducing me to his music. This was a very interesting piece, I enjoyed it a lot, and you played it beautifully. I liked your use of dynamics, specially in the middle section. How did you know about this piece and composer? I think I will listen to some of his other compositions ... and welcome back to the recitals! smile

23. peterws - Winter I am not familiar with the Children's album from Tchaikovsky, so I do not know how this piece should be played, but I really liked it and I liked your playing a lot. I think you did a great job voicing those chords to highlight the melody all throughout. I really enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing and keep the hard work smile

24. PianogrlNW (Ellen) - Sonata K331 1st Movement - Andante grazioso what a lovely playing Ellen! So much musicality. I loved your use of dynamics and the little pauses you introduce here and there. Lovely phrasing. I truly enjoyed it and wished I was able to provide you with some more detailed technical feedback. For me this was flawless. I loved the second half of the movement, around the 6 min mark. I have not yet dived into Mozart sonatas but I think I will listen to them after this recital. I only know single movements here and there and I think I am missing on some amazing music. I do not think I had heard this movement before. Thank you for this wonderful recording.

33. joangolfing - Air Suisse Op. 36 No.5 Good job joangolfing! I think it is very wise to attempt some consistency first before trying to speed up things. I liked how you shaped the phrases and balanced both hands. I would try to play the alberti bass in the B section a bit softer, to let the melody stand out more. I think it is very much worth the time to keep working on it and to try now to speed it up slowly and bring out a bit more the character of the Allegro marking. Very nice job smile

34. Moo smile - Songs without words opus 38 no 3 What a beautiful piece. I am not familiar with Mendelssohn works, so I do not the score, but I think you did a great job. The melody is very clear and both hands remain very fluid all throughout. The only thing I was missing was a bit more dynamic contrast. This might the recording not picking that up (I think you used your cellphone right?). I would try to upgrade the recording setup if possible. Your playing clearly deserves it smile

43. selfishplayer - Keyboard concerto no.7 in g minor BWV - 1058 first movement - Allegro piano solo Very good playing selfishplayer! I think you are on the right track towards polishing this piece and end up with a very good recording of it. There were some hick-ups here and there, perhaps related to the tempo, but I think the general idea is very good. I would love to listen a future version of this piece.

44. Rachtoven - Consolation No. 3 This is such a beautiful piece. I knew it before starting to listen classical music. Once I dived into it and discovered other Liszt works, I could not believe this was also composed by him. I loved your recording. You did a great job with the left hand, keeping it very steady all throughout. The main melody is beautifully shaped. Maybe in a couple of phrases I would have preferred a softer ending, but this is totally your choice of interpretation. I could not spot the mistakes you mention, but I agree with you 100%: I would always go for the recording with the best interpretation in spite of a couple of mistakes than for a mistakes-free recording but without much musicality. Lovely submission :))

Inspired adult beginner, melomaniac
M&H Model 50 (Dumbo), Kawai CA49. Previously: Sabel S123 (Tucan)
What I have been learning
PW Listening Party
S
S
Thank you to those of you who’ve listened to my submission, and to those of you who’ve offered feedback—always welcome. I will soon address some of those comments. But for now, here are the first few comments of my own…

01. Qazsedcft - Sneaky
Cute, playful little piece. And very nicely done!

02. ranjit - Fantaisie Impromptu
Welcome to the ABF recitals! And let me congratulate you on your first submission. It takes some courage to put yourself and your work out there, especially when you open yourself up to feedback from others. Judging from your submission, let me first say that you definitely have some pianistic talents and skills, many (if not all) of which you’ve developed on your own without the aid of a teacher. Congratulations on that, as well. But also evident to me from your submission are some technical deficiencies that apparently have not yet been addressed by you or your current teacher. In my humble opinion, Chopin’s Fantaisie-Impromptu is an overreach for you. There are multiple fundamentals which are required for a pianist convincingly to take on a piece of such virtuosic proportions as this, and it appears you haven’t yet mastered those. Mind you, it’s not uncommon for predominantly self-taught pianists to take on beautiful, grand pieces such as this, because…well…they’re beautiful and grand, and who wouldn’t want to play them! Admittedly, I was guilty of this myself before I began taking lessons as an older adult. But in my opinion, it’s the responsibility of a good teacher to guide you to those pieces that are at an appropriate level for you and that can isolate those fundamental technical skills that you lack at any given time, so that you aren’t left flailing around for months and months on a piece that is beyond your reach. If your current teacher is assisting you in your endeavor to learn the Fantaisie-Impromptu, then it is my belief that they’re doing you a disservice, for they’re setting you up for failure—AND overlooking your current need to work on the fundamentals. But I’m not a teacher, and these are just my opinions, so take them for what they’re worth.

04. Sam S - Etude 2
Nice work, Sam. Your playing and your piano sound good. My only suggestion is as follows. This piece is minimalist but still atmospheric, and IMO it requires a more spacious sound. It sounds like you’ve close miked your piano, which is fine—especially if your acoustic setting is not so spacious. But if you do that, then with a piece like this, IMO you need to add some reverb into the mix afterward, or else the result sounds too “in your face”, especially during the less busy portions of the piece.

R
1000 Post Club Member
Online Sleepy
1000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by SMA55
But also evident to me from your submission are some technical deficiencies that apparently have not yet been addressed by you or your current teacher.
Thanks for your feedback, I appreciate it. Could you let me know what are the technical defects you see? People have been telling me this for months, but I've not been able to figure them out yet, and it's driving me nuts!

S
S
Originally Posted by ranjit
But also evident to me from your submission are some technical deficiencies that apparently have not yet been addressed by you or your current teacher.
Thanks for your feedback, I appreciate it. Could you let me know what are the technical defects you see? People have been telling me this for months, but I've not been able to figure them out yet, and it's driving me nuts!
Playing the correct notes, in the correct order, at the correct tempo, evenly, with the correct articulation and phrasing, and with appropriate and interesting dynamics. Sound like a lot of generalities? It is! But that’s the kind of work I think you need to do—just like the rest of us. And with a good, live, in-person teacher, if at all possible. (I don’t recommend the deceased ones, as they usually don’t have anything useful to say. Your mileage may vary.)

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
01. Qazsedcft - Sneaky
Very nice, I followed along in the RCM book. Sounds like you nailed it and the recording sounds great! I need to invest in mics ...

02. ranjit - Fantaisie Impromptu Welcome to the recitals! It's impressive that you can play this piece being self taught, nice job! Overall it sounded nice, but some of those fast parts seemed a little muddy.

03. sma55 (Shepherd Abrams) - Sonata in C Major K545

Beautiful! Very clean, recording sounds great with those new mics.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
21 Calavera

It's a very wistful piece full of memories, of some regrets perhaps and not a little passion. Here is imo a splendid job with great runs and dynamics. I feel you got a bit carried away yourself! Get a grip man! That piano felt that . . .

22 mmathew

You made a good job of this.but lay off the pedal a tad. It seemed to be permanently on!

24 Pianogrlnw.

Did this meself not too long ago.. . .But you stick to the score better than I did. I never tire of hearing this, and it's so much fun to play. Lovely job you made o' this, you felt the slower bits nicely. Some bits could be tidied up a little but . . well done!

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
25 Ganddalf

Lovely and so sweetly flowing! Interesting is that you use an acoustic method of recording. If I'm right here, the result is much more realistic.

26 Lilypad

Love it. Probably a new way of playing for you, but most interesting; a bit more complex development of the RH part and you'll be really swinging

27 Jason Lenthe

Never heard it before. But it was very listenable. You made a great job on the dynamics and played it fluently. Nice!

28 rwsavory

I love these shorties from Schumann and Tchaikovsky; they're very entertaining and not too difficult to learn (I'll not use the word "master") this was one from the Op15 that I've not had a go at yet. You made it sound right nice on that piano!

29 bsharp cyclist

Great pace for this, and it flows like it should. Who could not like Mendells stuff? and who could fail to like this?

30 Wie Waldi

Decent job here, steadily played and . . .entertaining! Nice nice! A bit more pfazz, maybe?

I love listening to this, all of it! The variety of stuff is amazing, as are the instruments employed. Grands, uprights, digitals, they're all here!
And sounding GREAT!

See y'all soon . . .have fun.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
S
S
Hallelujah!  I'm seeing much less fluff and superficial pats on the back in the comments on these pieces, and much more meaningful and thoughtful feedback. This leads me to want to resume providing feedback myself. So here's my next few comments. (If I offend anyone, let me know, and I'll do my best not to comment on your submissions in the future. Deal?)

05. wouter79 - Op.45, Over Hill and Dale (24), Ballet (20)
Your “Over Hill and Dale” is markedly uneven in the right hand throughout. I’m afraid you don’t have a handle on the timing of the right hand’s incessant triplets. So your attempting to play the piece even close to the required allegro tempo is premature. My suggestion is obviously to work on those triplets in isolation at a much slower tempo and gradually increase the tempo only when they’re rock solid at the preceding slower tempo. Only once you have that down pat are you allowed to come out of isolation. 😁
Your “Ballet” is much more competently performed. It’s a beautiful piece, and it was a joy to hear you perform it. Good job!

06. barbaram - Dansul Romanesc
You mostly did a fine job with this piece. Given your notes, I know that you know about the occasional timing issues, so I’m confident that there’s no need to point out precisely where those are. Really good work overall!

07. MarieJ - Gnossienne No. 1
Nice job learning this piece, Marie. I have three suggestions for taking the piece to the next level. Make the right hand sing above the left. Right now, I feel they’re too equal in volume. My second suggestion is to change up the melody so that the repeating phrases in the right don’t sound the same way each time you play them. This can be accomplished by subtly changing the dynamics and timing of those phrases each time. And third, I suggest that you sculpt the volume of each note in the right hand’s phrases in a logical manner to follow the contours of those phrases. Right now, the notes are mostly all the same volume with only occasional accents in places that I believe are likely haphazard rather than intentional.

08. Peyton -Gnossienne For Stella
Good for you that you put pen to paper and attempted to score your musical ideas. I much prefer this over improvisations that are strictly “flow of consciousness” (otherwise known as “flying by the seat of your pants”), with no attempt to compose with any discipline or form. So congratulations on that! I have two things I would have liked to have heard differently here. I grew tired of the incessant, rapid arpeggios in the left hand. In my opinion, the composition needs to breathe, and this could be accomplished by inserting a bridge in the piece where the left hand is doing something very different from the rapid upward and downward arpeggios. The most simplistic such variation could be done by having the right hand take over the arpeggios, and have the left hand play the melody. But there are nearly an infinite number of other ways this could be done, too. (But who the heck am I to second guess the composer, right? Criticizing me for doing so would be perfectly understandable.) My second suggestion is simply to lower the volume of the right hand. In your recording, it’s overpowering the melody of the right hand, which is screaming for space. Good work overall, Peyton!

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Good for you that you put pen to paper and attempted to score your musical ideas. I much prefer this over improvisations that are strictly “flow of consciousness” (otherwise known as “flying by the seat of your pants”), with no attempt to compose with any discipline or form. So congratulations on that! I have two things I would have liked to have heard differently here. I grew tired of the incessant, rapid arpeggios in the left hand. In my opinion, the composition needs to breathe, and this could be accomplished by inserting a bridge in the piece where the left hand is doing something very different from the rapid upward and downward arpeggios. The most simplistic such variation could be done by having the right hand take over the arpeggios, and have the left hand play the melody. But there are nearly an infinite number of other ways this could be done, too. (But who the heck am I to second guess the composer, right? Criticizing me for doing so would be perfectly understandable.) My second suggestion is simply to lower the volume of the right hand. In your recording, it’s overpowering the melody of the right hand, which is screaming for space. Good work overall, Peyton!

Great feedback! I know what you mean about the arpeggios and just could not seem to come up with any other ideas. After reading your comments may continue try to explore some possibilities. This is, I think, the best piece i have ever written and for a change don't think I will just shelve it and move on. I like your idea about possibly switching left and right hand roles. Did you mean to say "lower the volumn of the right hand" or did you mean the left hand? I agree with what you say about improvisation. For me improvisation should still have structure. I will sit down and improvise for ever but in the end I would not want anyone to hear what I'm saying until I can find some "discipline and form". My favorite improvisers were Bley, Jarret, Corea and Cecil Taylor and I'm convinced that it was a rare day they were out there presenting ideas totally out of the blue. These were ideas they had been exploring and were just running with those ideas, not just playing a "flow of consciousness" by the seat of the pants. Again, thank you, I really appreciate your thoughtful comment.

S
S
Originally Posted by Peyton

Great feedback! I know what you mean about the arpeggios and just could not seem to come up with any other ideas. After reading your comments may continue try to explore some possibilities. This is, I think, the best piece i have ever written and for a change don't think I will just shelve it and move on. I like your idea about possibly switching left and right hand roles. Did you mean to say "lower the volumn of the right hand" or did you mean the left hand? I agree with what you say about improvisation. For me improvisation should still have structure. I will sit down and improvise for ever but in the end I would not want anyone to hear what I'm saying until I can find some "discipline and form". My favorite improvisers were Bley, Jarret, Corea and Cecil Taylor and I'm convinced that it was a rare day they were out there presenting ideas totally out of the blue. These were ideas they had been exploring and were just running with those ideas, not just playing a "flow of consciousness" by the seat of the pants. Again, thank you, I really appreciate your thoughtful comment.
Yes, my typo. I meant lowering the volume on the left hand. I’m so glad my feedback was well received, Peyton! Good luck with your continued development of your composition. I hope you’ll let us hear it again as it evolves!

T
T
Here we go again! Thanks everyone for their effort to putting together these wonderful listen!

27. Jason Lenthe - Nocturne in G Minor Op. 15 No. 3
A very nice take on this nocturne. I like the dynamic contrast you bring out in the different sections of the music. Your touch has a good singing tone in the areas where its more mellow. You show understanding of the changes in mood throughout the piece. The contrast between tranquillo feeling sections and those with more energy made this a good listen. I'll leave critique below:

First of, i am unsure if my critique is due to your playing or the condition of the grand piano you are playing on. It sounds to me that your piano may be voiced a little to bright in quite a few spots, which may be affecting the product we are hearing.
Either way, i think you can definitely shape the melodic line way more. At the moment it does sound a little too dutiful to the metronome. The left hand, either due to a lack of pedal or the piano's condition is a little too detached and overpowering. Certain places such as measure 69 - 76 could use more build up and in general the piece could use more pedal/legato such as in measure 77 to 79. Finally, when the texture becomes thicker in the last section of the piece, the right hand top melody could be voiced out over the texture more. But overall it was a very good effort, i hope this critique helps in some way to elevate your already secure and stable performance!

28. rwsavory - The Poet Speaks - Op 15 "Scenes from Childhood"
I absolutely adore this set of music from Schumann!

Your playing was very expressive and had good shaping. The atmosphere of the piece was brought out very well. A small critique is have is you seem to be taking quite a bit of liberty with the rhythm, especially dotted half notes are not held long enough or rests are skipped over. Schumann's wrote the melody and rhythm in such a way that it is already beautifully expressive and natural, so i think following the score more closely in some way, ironically may provide for more expressive phrasing. On the topic of rests, perhaps lifting the pedal may serve for a better interpretation to give due silence in the music? Either way, enjoyed your playing!

29. bSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - Consolation, Op. 30, No. 3
Ah Mendelssohn, my teacher made me purchase the songs without words when i am eventually good enough to learn it! (still couple of years away, boohoo)

You bring out the mood of this piece very well. I love your awareness for the changes in texture and the corresponding change in mood and dynamics you put into the piece. Your voicing is also pretty good as i can hear the melody quite well over the rest of the textures. I personally think you could actually shape the melody line quite a bit more, giving a feeling of "arriving" at certain points or playing around with tempo rubato a bit given the fact your just about nailed almost every other aspect. Well done!

30. Wie Waldi - The Entertainer
I have to say given you are relatively early in the learning journey, this is a very good attempt. Very steady and rather clean. And certainly even if the piece is slightly simplified, it is still no small feat to play it as it is 4 minutes long with quite a few technical difficulties. You should be very proud of your accomplishment. I think as you get better, when you revisit this piece in a year or two, you will be able to put more energy and liveliness into this piece. Great listen!

33. joangolfing - Air Suisse Op. 36 No.5
Sonatina Album Gang! laugh

I like the graceful easy pace you are going and the dynamic contrasts you are putting into the piece. The Melody is balanced well against the left hand. Your ornaments are also rather clean. A nice peaceful ending. I'll leave some critique below

Firstly, while traditionally the 2nd movement in a sonata is supposed to be slower, given the Allegro Moderato notation, i would personally take a slightly faster tempo for this piece. When the Alberti bass section comes in, perhaps a more crisp articulation may serve for a nice change in character? If you have the technical facility, i may even try the broken octaves in the left hand slightly detached. In general, i think with development of your finger work, the piece will come more alive both from a faster tempo and clearer articulation. Beyond that, i think you quite aware on what you need to work based on your post (such as being liberal with the tempo). But a really good attempt, well done!

34. Moo smile - Songs without words opus 38 no 3
Even more Songs without words!

Ok , this is a VERY hard piece and there are so many things to look out for and control when playing this. First of, i like you are able to voice the melody rather clearly, never was i lost when following your melody. I like the little diminished chords where the left hand had to be voiced too. You put good energy into the piece. A great attempt! Will leave some critique below!

I want to reiterate (as you already know) how hard this piece is. First thing is that the middle voice running notes are a tad bit too loud and could be softer and lighter. The melody line could be shaped a bit more with more liberal use of tempo rubato, which may assist in the technical aspect as it gives your system time to rest haha. The tempo in my humble opinion, should be slightly faster as well, which may also facilitate the middle voice's lightness as well. But considering the relative difficulty of this work, i think you produced a rather respectable result given your current skill level and you should be very proud of it.

F
F
I am listening to the recital and loving it so far. Thank you all for sharing these wonderful performances and a special thanks to Sam for organizing this, as always. I will take notes and comment some performances on my second listen later on.

For now, I would just like to express my gratitude for the nice comments that were made about my performance. I was feeling a bit frustrated with that piece, having mixed feelings regarding my interpretation and doubting my capability of playing it confidently. Your comments were very reassuring. Thank you very much!

38. facdo - Impromptu in E flat Major Op.90 No.2 I love to see your fingers running up and down the keyboard with such an ease. And from what I could hear, this was a very impressive interpretation of Schubert. Lot of control over tempo and dynamic. Thanks for sharing.
Thank you very much! I am really loving Schubert right now. These impromptus are amazing smile

Originally Posted by Qazsedcft
38. facdo - Impromptu in E flat Major Op.90 No.2
That was very good playing. When you say "some years as a kid" how many years is that? It sounds like you studied piano for a long time to achieve this level of playing.
Thank you! I had about 3 years of lessons as a kid, but I was never very serious about it. I stoped playing the piano and started to play guitar. But I always had a piano in my house and even though I wasn't practicing, I guess I always played a bit from time to time. In May 2018 I decided to commit to it, taking lessons and practicing every day.

Originally Posted by lilypad
38. facdo - Impromptu in E flat Major Op.90 No.2 I can see why you fell in love with the piece you played. Congratulations on your perseverance. To my ears, you've conquered both technique and musicality in your performance.
Thank you! Oh, but in reality, I am still far from conquering this piece. It feels very challenging to play and I think it is a bit beyond my capabilities. But I will continue to work on it and hopefully, over time I will be more confident to play it.

Originally Posted by QuentinP
38. facdo - Impromptu in E flat Major Op.90 No.2
This was gorgeous. The long runs were like pearly droplets. Loved it.
Thank you very much! That "pearly droplet" sound was really the goal smile

Originally Posted by PianogrlNW
38. facdo - Impromptu in E flat Major Op.90 No.2 I think this may be the most impressive performance of the recital. You have very relaxed hands which allows you to play quickly and evenly. I don’t have any suggestions to improve it. OK, one small suggestion. Hold onto that RH note in the middle section so that it’s sustained. You play as if you have about 20 years of experience!
Oh, that is a very flattering comment. Thank you! But I don't know about that, there were a lot of impressive performances on this recital. In any case, I am really glad that you liked my playing. I think I know what you mean by holding the notes in the middle section and it is something that my teacher said in today's lesson. I will work on that. Thanks for the feedback. BTW, if you count the amount of time I had access to a piano, then 20 years is about right smile

YouTube Channel with all my recordings and my piano progress.

[Linked Image]

I listened to the first batch of submissions during my afternoon reading. What a promising start! Here are some quick thoughts. Thank you Sam for being our reliable recital supervisor. Many thanks to the people who commented on my submission.

01. Qazsedcft - Sneaky
This was fun to listen to. I felt like I was in a bar in a Hollywood movie.

Congratulations on this ambitious first recital submission. It doesn't seem super even in the challenging parts, but the overall expression and musicality does a good job of keeping this performance enjoyable.

I don't know the piece well enough to comment on the shortcomings you perceive, but I certainly enjoyed the consistent gait, energy and melody of your performance. Ditto for the more laid-back mood of the slower parts.

04. Sam S - Etude 2
A nice atmospheric étude punctuated by subtle hints of emotion. Great pictures by the way!

05. wouter79 - Op.45, Over Hill and Dale (24), Ballet (20)
I liked the second piece better. I enjoyed its melody and quaint tone.

06. barbaram - Dansul Romanesc
A really fun piece. It has a distinctly Eastern European feel to it, and a nice lively momentum. Thanks for sharing.

07. MarieJ - Gnossienne No. 1
Lovely performance. You bring great control and an enjoyably sensitive touch to this piece.

08. Peyton - Gnossienne For Stella
My initial thought was "I'm not familiar with this Satie work. What a fine little piece!" It turns out this is an original composition. Well done Peyton! I feel like this piece has an air of mystery and longing. I hope your friend can have a happy life despite the accident.

09. QuasiUnaFantasia - Stimmungsbilder, opus 9 no. 4: Traumerei
I don't mind those slow arpeggios. This piece does have a dreamy quality. Nice sedate and evocative sound.

10. Flygbladet - Tonbilder part 2 "barnmenuett" (Childrens menuett)
I think the performance conveys some kind of child-like energy and insouciance. The dramatic change at 1:50 caught me off guard, just like rambunctious chidren suddenly acting out.

I don't know if I can provide any useful tips, but my comeback to the piano has largely been fuelled by my love for specific pieces. It's not the learning itself that motivates me most (though that can be fun too as a by-product), but getting to play pieces that I already enjoy listening to. Perhaps what you need to do is find pieces that really appeal to you and motivate you - the perfect match, as it were. That way, you're not really focussing on learning piano, but just on learning pieces you like.

Originally Posted by AndresVel
21. Calavera - Theme of Love I always enjoy your submissions. Your playing is always so clean and flawless. This one was no exception. I have to agree with you that some sections of the piece, specially at the beginning, do not sound so original. But the piece builds up enormously! I loved the end of the middle section, so much passion, and you mastered it and drew me into the piece. That part sounded very Rachmaninovian haha. I loved your submission. Thank you for sharing smile I am wondering now how do you choose your repertoire. Do you know the pieces from playing the corresponding video game? Or do you listen regularly the full albums?

Thanks for your kind comment AndresVel! As regards your question about my repertoire, my submissions can be divided into three categories:
1) pieces I know from playing games (especially the ones from my teenage years)
2) pieces I discovered because they were composed by the same artists from 1), and I was interested in their other works
3) pieces I discovered because I heard about them (or their composers) from friends or from some internet buzz.

I haven't been at Japanese composers, nor at video-game themes so far. And from what I heard, it is not second to the more known Holywood soundtracks. You opened a door in my musical universe, thank you for that.

Thanks Wie Waldi. Ironically, this piece really isn't the best example, but Japanese composers like Uematsu and Hisaishi are IMHO in no way inferior to your Hans Zimmer, John Williams etc.

21. Calavera - Theme of Love Gorgeous piece! 2:40 is incredible, you've done a great job setting up the climax. Your playing is very appropriate to the style. It seems like you have the big picture planned out quite well. What you could do to improve at this point is focus in on the individual phrases and try to polish them up and see what you want to do with the phrasing to make it more consistent. Really nice work.

Thank you for listening and commenting ranjit. This piece can really be tricky in some parts. Again, love hurts!

Originally Posted by peterws
21 Calavera
It's a very wistful piece full of memories, of some regrets perhaps and not a little passion. Here is imo a splendid job with great runs and dynamics. I feel you got a bit carried away yourself! Get a grip man! That piano felt that . . .

One cannot tame his passion so easily my dear Peter. grin The piano has endured much worse than this, especially on my bad days. He'll live!

I completely agree with your interpretation: I hear wistful feelings and regrets as well.

S
S
Originally Posted by barbaram
(Doom-laden movie trailer voice) “With Mozart, there’s nowhere to hide”

This was a pleasure, sparkling and bright. I especially enjoyed the first movement.

Haha! I can just hear that movie trailer voice. Oh, wait--it was mine! Thank you for your kind words.

S
S
Thank you to everyone who listened to my submission, and also thank you to the following people (who I haven't previously thanked) who commented upon it: tyschoco, Talão, vte, MarieJ, QuentinP, peterws, Rachtoven, Wie Waldi, lilypad, bSharp(C)yclist, and Calavera

Here are some additional thank you's and my responses:

Originally Posted by Ido
Very pleasing tone and phrasing. After listening to several of your recordings I see a consistent pattern of playing very delicately with a singing tone. You play this beautifully.
I think the tempo is not very consistent but it doesn't really detract from the performance.
A specific point to notice is at 0:34 where I think there's some rhythmic error.

The last movement - I'd play it (if only I could:-)) a bit more playfully - less legato, more 'jumpy', if you will.
Yes, I would agree that the third movement was the weakest link in my performance. It needed additional work, which I believe I've managed to address since the time that I submitted the piece 2 1/2 weeks ago. Thanks so much for your feedback!

03. sma55 (Shepherd Abrams) - Sonata in C Major K545 I am very impressed. How do you get that crystalline tone? It's something I really struggle with personally, so mad respect for that. The recording quality is also very good, and it does indeed sound very close to an actual piano from my speakers. I might consider those microphones, once I'm earning a steady income that is. I've never listened to the full version of the sonata, so thank you for this recording. A couple of smudges is only human (and I don't care about flubbed notes either way), this sounds near perfect to my ears! I can only suggest some alternative interpretation ideas which come to mind. You could try playing a bit more with dynamics. At 9:23, for the last section, you could probably increase the dynamic contrast, with slightly more prominent crescendos, to create a stronger sense of tension.
Thank you for your feedback and your kind words. How do I get that "crystalline tone"? In large part, simply by playing my Steingraeber! grin Seriously, that and its capacity for producing a nice spectrum of other tone colors is what led me to select it as my piano. Regarding the last section of my performance, please see my note to Ido above.

Originally Posted by AndresVel
03. sma55 (Shepherd Abrams) - Sonata in C Major K545 I think you have all the right to feel proud for your performance and your efforts to get the piece to the high level you show us here. It is true that there are things one could improve (I think this is always the case for everyone, does not matter the piece or the skill level), but in general you shared with us a very good recording. Technically, I agree with others who have commented before, I think you are selling yourself short, and you are showcasing good technical control overall. I liked a lot the playfulness of the first mvmt. You used both hands nicely to add dynamics. The only think I noticed was that you rushed some measures, usually those finishing with a trill. I liked the second mvmt a lot, lovely phrasing. The 3rd mvmt was very playful as well. I loved the new mics as well! amazing clarity and color in the sound of your piano. Thank you for sharing. This is very inspiring for me as a beginners around here smile
Thank you for taking the time to listen and for your thoughtful and kind words on my piece. The fact is that while for me, playing Mozart (and Bach, for that matter) is an exercise in humility--for the reasons I mentioned in my notes--I'm mostly happy with my performance. Playing Mozart very well requires machine-like perfection in timing; I'm just realistic enough to know that I will likely never play with that kind of perfection. But that doesn't mean I'm not mostly proud of my performance here. So if it sounds like I was selling myself short in my notes, I guess I wasn't very clear. My intent was mostly to say that I have a lot of respect for those pianists who can play Mozart with apparent perfection, especially in a live setting. Thanks again for your feedback!

Last edited by SMA55; 08/19/21 05:51 AM.
R
R
Some more comments.

09. QuasiUnaFantasia - Stimmungsbilder, opus 9 no. 4: Traumerei

I had never heard this beautiful piece. Thanks for introducing us to this. Also, you played wonderfully.

10. Flygbladet - Tonbilder part 2 "barnmenuett" (Childrens menuett)

This often sounds very serious—I didn’t expect that from a children’s minuet! I really like how you used a full dynamic range to highlight the emotional extremes of this piece.

11. JJHLH - Feuillet d'Album Op 45, No 1

You played this beautiful piece with such soul. Bravo!

12. pianist685 (Constantin) - Prelude and Allegro HWV 576

That harpsichord VST sounds fantastic, as does your playing. I enjoyed this so much. More Handel!

13. Alpha Terminus - Lotus Land

Wow to both the piece and the performance! Very impressive playing.

Very clean and well-articulated performance—incredible for the short time you’ve been playing. I enjoyed this, and adding some speed and dynamic contrast will make it even better.

15. Serge88 - Boogie Blues Etude

Well played! I couldn’t tell where the composition ended and the improvisation began (very smooth).

27. Jason Lenthe - Nocturne in G Minor Op. 15 No. 3

Nicely done. You’ve clearly put a lot of work into reflecting the differing character of each section.

28. rwsavory - The Poet Speaks - Op 15 "Scenes from Childhood"

Great playing! I’m especially impressed with how well you captured the spirit of the piece.

29. bSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - Consolation, Op. 30, No. 3

This was a sensitive and enjoyable performance. Excellent playing. One thing to think about. I also thought certain phrase endings sounded slightly too abrupt. Mendelssohn did write pauses in the score, but it sounds like you might be letting off very slightly early. I think it might help to hold the chord just a little longer to shorten the pause and allow more decay in the sound of the chord. I wonder if a softer dynamic level on those phrase endings might also help.

30. Wie Waldi - The Entertainer

Quite well done. This is particularly impressive for someone with so little experience.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

Hi Andres, nice job on the invention! I can try to give some feedback, since I learned this before and played for an exam.

Bars 2 to 3 - I like to imagine the melody in the right hand in bar 2 moving to the left hand in bar 3, so I try to draw out the left hand more in bar 3 vs the right.

Bars 4, 5, 6 - I would gradually reduce the dynamics for each bar. My teacher used the phrase lattice dynamics. Each bar gets progressively softer. Something to experiment with.

Bar 12 - Hold that C in the right hand for the full beat.

Bar 16 - I'd gradually make the left hand a bit louder.

Stuff like that smile This is a piece you'll come back to I think, I do. My previous teacher said that it's always good to be working on a Bach piece!

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission