2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
68 members (brennbaer, august112, Brendan, brdwyguy, 36251, bxrdad1, Bill McKaig,RPT, Animisha, 11 invisible), 1,341 guests, and 519 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3145868 08/13/21 11:10 AM
S
Sebs Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
What does a tempo marking "Andante Cantabile" mean. From a quick search I learned "Andante" is walking tempo (73-77) but I don't see any details on andante cantabile tempo but I found there is a piece called andante cantabile played at 84. Does that mean if another piece has that as tempo marking then the suggested speed is 84?

The piece is Sheperd's Flute from Journey Through The Classics book.

And does the line in the bass at very last 3 bars mean pedal?

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Sebs; 08/13/21 11:16 AM.
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Sebs #3145874 08/13/21 11:21 AM
N
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
N
Cantabile isn't tempo .
Cantabile or cantando -in a singing style. In instrumental music, a style of playing that imitates the way the human voice might express the music, with a measured tempo and flexible legato. It requires the ability to hear each note separately from the attack to the very end (like in belcanto), and in accordance with this the ability to connect adjacent notes to create a vocal effect. The hardest thing on the piano!

S
Sebs Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Nahum
Cantabile isn't tempo .
Cantabile or cantando -in a singing style. In instrumental music, a style of playing that imitates the way the human voice might express the music, with a measured tempo and flexible legato. It requires the ability to hear each note separately from the attack to the very end (like in belcanto), and in accordance with this the ability to connect adjacent notes to create a vocal effect. The hardest thing on the piano!

I was reading your post and before I even got to where you said "hardest thing on piano" I was already thinking wth that sounds really challenging. Then does this mean speed should be Andante (about 77) with a singing style? What should someone who is not advance focus on to try and have some cantabile sound?

Sebs #3145884 08/13/21 11:46 AM
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Yes, the line under the last three measures means use the sustain pedal.

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

Sebs #3145888 08/13/21 11:49 AM
N
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by Sebs
I was reading your post and before I even got to where you said "hardest thing on piano" I was already thinking wth that sounds really challenging. Then does this mean speed should be Andante (about 77) with a singing style? What should someone who is not advance focus on to try and have some cantabile sound?

Arie does not specifically explain why the ending of the previous sound should be superimposed on the beginning of the next one: continuing the sound of the previous string softens the percussiveness of the beginning of the sound of the next one. Quite doubtful in relation to digital instruments.

Sebs #3145896 08/13/21 12:15 PM
N
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
N
It is interesting that the melody in the sheet music is surprisingly reminiscent of Scarborough Fair, although the composer is Russian.

S
Sebs Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Stubbie
Yes, the line under the last three measures means use the sustain pedal.
Thank you.

Thanks @Nahum I will watch the video today.

Sebs #3145926 08/13/21 01:25 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
@Sebs, the directions at the beginning of a piece often contain some instructions about other things than the tempo. For example, Mozart sonata K. 331 starts with "Andante grazioso" or "gracious walking". What does that mean? Well, you have to use your imagination! That is what music and art in general is about. It's not about following some strict recipe but about having an image in your mind and projecting that, and listening very carefully whether what you hear from your piano matches what you hear in your head. So if a composer says you should play in a signing style, or joyfully, or lamenting, etc. you should try to imagine what that would sound like and experiment to figure out how to get that sound. If you can't get the sound you imagine then ask your teacher for help.

S
Sebs Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Qazsedcft
@Sebs, the directions at the beginning of a piece often contain some instructions about other things than the tempo. For example, Mozart sonata K. 331 starts with "Andante grazioso" or "gracious walking". What does that mean? Well, you have to use your imagination! That is what music and art in general is about. It's not about following some strict recipe but about having an image in your mind and projecting that, and listening very carefully whether what you hear from your piano matches what you hear in your head. So if a composer says you should play in a signing style, or joyfully, or lamenting, etc. you should try to imagine what that would sound like and experiment to figure out how to get that sound. If you can't get the sound you imagine then ask your teacher for help.

There are no directions about anything else it simply says “Andante cantabile” and it’s hard to use imagination when I have no idea what that means. That’s why I’m asking here. I know it’s not exact strict recipe but I want to try to be close and know what it means as whole point the marking is to be somewhat close to suggestion. I know I can ask a teacher but I’m working this now by myself and that’s why I asked here. This is what this forum is great for. I don’t see what the purpose of saying ask a teacher is and saying there are instructions in the piece. IMO that comment comes off a bit condescending.

Last edited by Sebs; 08/13/21 04:29 PM.
Sebs #3146000 08/13/21 04:55 PM
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
In a singing style (cantabile) is easiest understood by actually singing the melody yourself. You will notice that the melody stands out above the accompaniment (which you'd expect in any song being sung), it has phrasing, it ebbs and flows, varying in dynamics even, all the while the accompaniment stays at the same subdued level.

A well-known piano piece that has 'cantabile' in its marking is this:

.....which actually has also been turned into a pop song (which you can find and listen to, if you really must....)

Hear how the pianist "sings" the melody above the accompaniment.

In your piece, imagine yourself playing the RH melody on the flute like a singer singing it, following the phrasing indicated (i.e. each phrase in one unbroken 'breath'), while the LH is like a subdued drone accompaniment throughout. (Perfect 5ths low down always sound like bagpipes drone to me......)

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
S
Sebs Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by bennevis
In a singing style (cantabile) is easiest understood by actually singing the melody yourself. You will notice that the melody stands out above the accompaniment (which you'd expect in any song being sung), it has phrasing, it ebbs and flows, varying in dynamics even, all the while the accompaniment stays at the same subdued level.

A well-known piano piece that has 'cantabile' in its marking is this:

.....which actually has also been turned into a pop song (which you can find and listen to, if you really must....)

Hear how the pianist "sings" the melody above the accompaniment.

In your piece, imagine yourself playing the RH melody on the flute like a singer singing it, following the phrasing indicated (i.e. each phrase in one unbroken 'breath'), while the LH is like a subdued drone accompaniment throughout. (Perfect 5ths low down always sound like bagpipes drone to me......)
It sounds like kind of what I try to when playing a pop cover where as RH I try to make it sound like vocals and keep LH light. I know I don't do it that well yet but I try to. Also I enjoyed the Beethoven video. For some reason I really loved the sound at 3:08-3:15 in the 10 bars that are showing on the screen at that time which of those is that part? Thanks for the tip and videos.

Last edited by Sebs; 08/13/21 05:10 PM.
Sebs #3146016 08/13/21 06:18 PM
B
B
I really loved the sound at 3:08-3:15 in the 10 bars that are showing on the screen at that time which of those is that part?
That is the reprise of the main melody with a more elaborate accompaniment in triplets (which are also played with RH).

In the video (score), if you look at the top (RH) notes that have upward-pointing stems, those are the melodic notes identical to that on the first page except the last bit, and which Ashkenazy brings to the fore. Therefore the tune restarts on the second line (i.e. fourth bar from the top). All the other RH notes (with downward-pointing stems) make up the rocking accompaniment. The LH merely plays the bass.

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
Sebs #3146022 08/13/21 06:34 PM
Online Content
I think most of the posts above about the tempo marking are making things too complex for the person asking the question. An answer should be based on the student's current level.

S
Sebs Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
I think most of the posts above about the tempo marking are making things too complex for the person asking the question. An answer should be based on the student's current level.

What is the point of your comment?

I disagree. An answer should be based on what it is being asked. Beginner or advanced anyone can understand the concepts and learn what they mean. You don’t change an answer based on someone’s level, that doesn’t make any sense. I liked the answers and it was pretty straight forward to me. Also saying they’re making things to complex for me is a ridiculous assumption. I often wonder why some members almost seem talk down on others and I’ve seen it in other threads.

Sebs #3146081 08/14/21 02:09 AM
N
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
N

I disagree. An answer should be based on what it is being asked. Beginner or advanced anyone can understand the concepts and learn what they mean. You don’t change an answer based on someone’s level, that doesn’t make any sense. I liked the answers and it was pretty straight forward to me. Also saying they’re making things to complex for me is a ridiculous assumption. I often wonder why some members almost seem talk down on others and I’ve seen it in other threads.
Absolutely agree! An beginner pianist may be a child, but may also be an adult; and the pedagogical approach to them should be very different. The child feels, the adult understands. It has never happened that even the most novice students did not understand and did not hear the legato and nonlegato phenomena; and when it comes time to get the right pedal, I immediately explain the parallels between the foot and hand's finger , and between the pedal and the piano key.

Last edited by Nahum; 08/14/21 02:11 AM.
Sebs #3146083 08/14/21 02:11 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

There are no directions about anything else it simply says “Andante cantabile” and it’s hard to use imagination when I have no idea what that means. That’s why I’m asking here. I know it’s not exact strict recipe but I want to try to be close and know what it means as whole point the marking is to be somewhat close to suggestion. I know I can ask a teacher but I’m working this now by myself and that’s why I asked here. This is what this forum is great for. I don’t see what the purpose of saying ask a teacher is and saying there are instructions in the piece. IMO that comment comes off a bit condescending.
I was trying to be helpful and you already had an answer about what it means so I was expanding on that. If you re-read my post notice that I first suggested experimenting and then asking your teacher for technique help if you're unable to do it. I was talking about the practical technical application not the theoretical knowledge.

I'm sorry you feel talked down and that wasn't my intention but IMO your comments also come out as a bit arrogant. People here are honestly trying to help. Being ungrateful will only drive them away in the end.

Sebs #3146122 08/14/21 06:27 AM
S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S

I disagree. An answer should be based on what it is being asked. Beginner or advanced anyone can understand the concepts and learn what they mean. You don’t change an answer based on someone’s level, that doesn’t make any sense.

I think that you do. That is the essence of communication to adjust what you say, in style and content (and wording), to the person in front of you. In this case the question is simple enough and has a fairly straightforward answer, but other cases may require an adjustment.

Sebs #3146176 08/14/21 10:14 AM
S
Sebs Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S

I was trying to be helpful and you already had an answer about what it means so I was expanding on that. If you re-read my post notice that I first suggested experimenting and then asking your teacher for technique help if you're unable to do it. I was talking about the practical technical application not the theoretical knowledge.

I'm sorry you feel talked down and that wasn't my intention but IMO your comments also come out as a bit arrogant. People here are honestly trying to help. Being ungrateful will only drive them away in the end.

That’s the hard thing about reading comments. I could hear wrong tone in my head. I think sometimes I feel like the more seasoned pianist think the beginners are not as bright or it seems that way. Sorry if I took it wrong. Funny you say I can sound arrogant I would never think or intend that tone. So I think it’s easy for anyone one or misinterpret ones intention here.

Also not sure how else I can express gratitude. In almost everything I post I nearly reply to everyone and always say thanks. Don’t know what else to do. Maybe I’ll just try to be as sensitive and if I think a comment is silly or talking down like the other one above I’ll just assume it’s not.

This one too. I took it as @pianoloverus basically saying this beginner is too slow to understand the comments let’s dumb it down. However, that was probably not their intention. I’ll try to not take comments that way moving forward. Sorry for any confusion or if sounded annoyed.

Sebs #3146189 08/14/21 10:59 AM
Online Content

I think any pedagogy book on any subject would disagree with your statement that an answer shouldn't be based on the level of the person asking the question. I taught grades 7-12 math for almost 40 years and have been tutoring since retirement so I have over 50 years teaching experience. "Changing an answer"(not the way I expressed things) doesn't have to mean not telling the truth which is the only way I think someone could argue against changing the answer. One should express the answer in terms most likely understandable by the person asking the question.

I remember reading something a long time ago that said something like this: A poor teacher gives the incorrect answer, an inexperienced teacher says everything he knows about the question, a good teacher answers at a level appropriate for the student asking the question.

For the OP I think saying "cantabile" means singing and "andante" means a walking speed or is one of the faster levels of a "slow" tempo is sufficient. One could also included that when a piece is marked andante this doesn't mean it has to be played at 84.

Online Content
Originally Posted by Nahum

Absolutely agree! An beginner pianist may be a child, but may also be an adult; and the pedagogical approach to them should be very different. The child feels, the adult understands. It has never happened that even the most novice students did not understand and did not hear the legato and nonlegato phenomena; and when it comes time to get the right pedal, I immediately explain the parallels between the foot and hand's finger , and between the pedal and the piano key.
You would explain things to an adult beginner and an adult advanced player the same way?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
Our Fall 2021 Free Newsletter is Out , see it here!
---------------------
Selling my Hammond & Leslie!
---------------------
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Effect of volume on experience of action
by op299 - 10/17/21 04:35 AM
A la recherche du Pete14 perdu
by Fleer - 10/16/21 11:57 PM
Jazz piano chord progression Mary did you know
by Nicepianoman39 - 10/16/21 10:17 PM
Climate Change & Boom
by Xam - 10/16/21 08:18 PM
Upright Piano Decisions… - Boston vs Schimmel
by Pianofly - 10/16/21 08:16 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,627
Posts3,140,250
Members103,025
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission