2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
73 members (BMKE, Catlady, Burkhard, anamnesis, Anevsky, brennbaer, Belger1900, 13 invisible), 4,643 guests, and 319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
The action on the MP11SE is the most realistic Kawai DP action by far. Not everyone likes the feel of the Kawai's, and I happen to prefer Roland, but apart from the hybrids, it's one of the best.

S
S
Having played a fair bit with the MP11SE recently, I'm wondering how 'realistic' the action actually is. It feels great in isolation, but back to back with a Kawai GL or GX series grand, it's very light. However, I DO really enjoy playing the Kawai's on their own.

P
P
I have the older MP11. I set the Touch setting to Heavy+ for the keyboard feel most like the Schimmel 230K that sits next to it. This makes an enormous difference.

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by PianoMan51
I have the older MP11. I set the Touch setting to Heavy+ for the keyboard feel most like the Schimmel 230K that sits next to it. This makes an enormous difference.

Of course, you know that setting the Touch setting to Heavy + makes absolutely no difference in how easy or difficult it is to press down the keys.

All it does is reduce the loudness of the sound you produce with the same amount of keypressing velocity.

In other words, now you have to press the keys much harder to get a loud sound.

So, basically what that setting is for is to allow you to play very, very softly much easier.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by dmd
Originally Posted by PianoMan51

Of course, you know that setting the Touch setting to Heavy + makes absolutely no difference in how easy or difficult it is to press down the keys.

All it does is reduce the loudness of the sound you produce with the same amount of keypressing velocity.

In other words, now you have to press the keys much harder to get a loud sound.

So, basically what that setting is for is to allow you to play very, very softly much easier.

I found normal touch very realistic, playing mellow on a real grand doesn't require much effort. Lots of respect to this gentleman:

Kawai MP7SE, Yamaha MOTF XF6, Yamaha WX5, Yamaha Pacifica 112v
A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Another example:

And it seems to be Bosendorfer

Kawai MP7SE, Yamaha MOTF XF6, Yamaha WX5, Yamaha Pacifica 112v
J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Seb Clement
Having played a fair bit with the MP11SE recently, I'm wondering how 'realistic' the action actually is. It feels great in isolation, but back to back with a Kawai GL or GX series grand, it's very light. However, I DO really enjoy playing the Kawai's on their own.

As I mentioned previously I was actually a bit surprised when I happened to play one and do an A B comparison between a VPC-1 and MPSE11 that were available for audition at Kawai/Shigeru dealer. The MP11SE action felt surprisingly light and cheap feeling to be honest. It felt barely weighted and mushy to me. Almost felt like a regular electronic keyboard to me. But I’m no digital piano connoisseur. The light action was a put off for me but those used to a light action might really like it.

I was told by my piano teacher that the heavier action is better for training you finger muscles when starting off but the light action is what you should be aspiring to in order to have absolute control of the instrument; it's what the concert pianists use after all. I went from a Kawai MP6 heavy action to the MP11SE (as an absolute beginner) and the difference was night and day, feels smooth as butter and definitely does not feel cheap at all to me.

Originally Posted by Inrai
So I've been looking for a piano for a few weeks and have decided to increase my budget and are now looking at the Kawai MP11SE. I don't need the portability but the MP11SE is significantly cheaper than it's cabinet style equivalent (CA78?) and do not need built in speakers as I use headphones only. Is there any other pianos I should consider in this price range? I tried the Yamaha P515 and loved everything about it but the action was just too heavy. Help would be appreciated!

I purchased the MP11SE as an upgrade to my MP6 and the difference was night and day. The MP11SE action is soft and smooth as butter and the included sounds are amazing, my fingers and ears are in heaven every time I put in some practice; highly recommended!

J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
Sorry cheap is wrong word the MP11SE is obviously a high quality stage piano probably best in its class. In comparison to a real acoustic it felt more like a keyboard to me and less like a real piano if that makes any sense. I was comparing it to an acoustic action of a quality grand. I wouldn’t buy some of the hype about it feeling like a $100,000 concert grand which the manufacturer doesn’t claim but some online reviews might have. It’s an excellent stage piano for performers rock/jazz/pop IMO but maybe one of the Kawais with real action built in or possibly VPC1 for those attracted to classical IMO. But even the VPC1 is not on the level with a quality grands action.

C
C
Well the MP11SE arrived and is all set up with the exception of the monitors which I'll set up over the weekend. Such an upgrade! I'm kind of a piano hack so not really the guy to ask about piano action but it sure feels wonderful to me. This instrument will suit my needs for a long time and I plan to play it every day just like I played my old P115.

Thank you to everyone that has offered expertise in all of the many digital threads over the last months. Information goldmine!

Last edited by Chili_Time; 01/02/20 09:03 PM.

First Lesson Oct. 17, 2017. Now working on Faber Piano Adventures 3B Lesson, T&A, Performance, Theory and Faber FunTime Ragtime & Marches. Kawai MP11SE. My Sound Cloud Piano recordings
[Linked Image]
J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Chili_Time
Well the MP11SE arrived and is all set up with the exception of the monitors which I'll set up over the weekend. Such an upgrade! I'm kind of a piano hack so not really the guy to ask about piano action but it sure feels wonderful to me. This instrument will suit my needs for a long time and I plan to play it every day just like I played my old P115.

Thank you to everyone that has offered expertise in all of the many digital threads over the last months. Information goldmine!

Yes I think you have the best stage piano in the industry today. Have fun!

D
D
So I've been on a hunt I shake my head and figure it's been 7 years. My needs have changed back and forth of course. But I finally made the move to a Kawai MP11SE and am really digging the action and sounds. Also digging that in this situation I don't have to lug it as I'm using it as my main DP for church. I use a little Yamaha CP73 for gigs. I've chased Roland, Nord, Yamaha, Korg etc. I do have a Yamaha P515 at home though that I love.

Tyr Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I got mine yesterday and i don't regret it. It's a wonderful and versatile instrument. Great touch, great pedaling. The internal sounds are really good through my soundbar speakers. Got it with the K&M Omega Stand. I was a bit afraid about all the knobs and buttons but it's better than expected. Worth every penny.

Kawai: NV5 | Yamaha: CLP-745R
Pianoteq 7 Pro | Garritan CFX Full | Vienna Imperial | Keyscape Full | Ravenscroft 275 - Modern U - Model D - AG | Minigrand | The Oeser
H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

Originally Posted by Tyr
I got mine yesterday and i don't regret it. It's a wonderful and versatile instrument. Great touch, great pedaling. The internal sounds are really good through my soundbar speakers. Got it with the K&M Omega Stand. I was a bit afraid about all the knobs and buttons but it's better than expected. Worth every penny.

That sounds compelling.

Congratulations and Enjoy, @Tyr!

Cheers and happy playing,

HZ

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Thread for short questions.
by Josephine83 - 07/05/22 02:42 PM
Kawai Novus 10S New owner
by Ron A - 07/05/22 11:33 AM
Kurzweil k2700
by Ivan504 - 07/05/22 11:30 AM
Alan Belkin on musical salience - an aesthetic concept
by indigo_dave - 07/05/22 11:18 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,815
Posts3,205,595
Members105,725
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission