2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (Animisha, Barly, bobrunyan, brennbaer, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,863 guests, and 319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
OP Offline
M
Judging from the general lack of response in this forum, I'm not holding my breath. I'm thinking of purchasing an Electone, though, and I don't want to blindly order a model hoping for the best. So if anyone knows about Electone more than I do... feel free to reply.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
The lack of response is indicative of the lack of interest in the organ business today. It peaked in the US in the mid 1980's. Electones were a line of quality home organs that were built and marketed by Yamaha. They were made for several years with several generations and evolutions of models. Electones are no longer imported by Yamaha Corporation of American into the US. They may still be sold in other parts of the world.

Their quality, performance, and durability were at the top of the catagory.

Co-Author of The Complete Idiot's Guide To Buying A Piano. A "must read" before you shop.
Work for west coast dealer for Yamaha, Schimmel, Bosendorfer, Wm. Knabe.
Do you have a specific model that you are interested in purchasing? What questions do you have?

Last edited by Piano Peddler; 08/05/09 01:17 AM.

Craig Smith
General Manager
Kansas City Piano

www.kansascitypiano.com
M
OP Offline
M
Actually, I reread the website I was on and discovered (just like Marty Flinn said) that they weren't selling any electones anymore. So never mind. :P

Just for future reference, though, what model would you recommend for a beginning player who's on a budget? My family used to own an EL-90, but my understanding is that's for someone who's more or less "serious" about playing... which I'm not.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Yes, EL 90 was basically next to the top of the line electones in the 90s. I love EL 90.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
go to Electone.com for more info about Electone...

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I'd certainly like to have one. Their design is so elegant.

I saw a you tube video a while back of this Japanese girl playing some type of electric organ but it was more like a synthesizer. Electrifying. Her pedal work was incredible.

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Electones are still sold in Japan. They're not as popular as pianos, but they sell enough to sustain monthly music magazines. You'll find them at large music dealers and Yamaha stores.

But, yeah, in the US, home organs were somewhat popular in the 70's with names like Lowery and Thomas and then the market just crashed for them. If you find one at all, it will be a dusty piece of junk. That market has mostly been absorbed by fancy digital piano instruments like the Yamaha CVP series. These have rhythms and accompaniment like the old home organs did (as well as various orchestral, synth, organ and other sounds besides piano).

The electone organ was a yamaha product, and I sold them! They were a good organ, and the sounds were good on them. The only problem was learning to set them up as they did not really utilize the stop tab system but a roller system. The organs were good products of Yamaha!

Nothin like a Good Piano!

Jim Berna
Tuner-Technician
I played an Electone - well a number of electones for years. I had an HX 1 that I loved. I bought a second had FX 20 a few years ago for a good price and it's still going strong - and I still enjoy playing it.

What did you decide to do?

R
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
You may ask on organforum.com. They have an extensive section on electronic _organs_ of all kinds.

C
C
I just acquired an FX-20 recently as well. I'm having a blast relearning it as I completed the Electone course when I was a kid as a diversion from my "serious" piano study.

Knabe 6'1" acoustic grand with Pianodisc
Kohler & Campbell 48" upright Millenium series KM-121
Ancient Roland HP3700 digital upright.
Yamaha Electone FX-20 Organ (circa 1983)
I used to play one or two of tem many years ago. If you`re used to the Hammond spinets, or even the C3 or A100`s T500 etc, you wouldn`t have liked `em. Bit reedy and tin sounding.

But from the spectator`s viewpoint, they were good. And light to carry.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
K
K
The current model is the Electone Stagea, only sold in Asia.

This is a marvelous instrument; listen to this performance by Qi Zhang (her transcription from the "Love of Three Oranges") and be awed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKorq7dE4gM

After seeing this, I inquired at Yamaha Canada why they don't sell these in North America. They said there was no market for it (with over 300 million population?). I told them they're wrong, as I would buy one in a heartbeat.

Another issue is the (apparently) different voltage of these organs compared to the North American one. They told me that plugging a Stagea in the electrical system of my house can make it burn down. I'm not convinced this is true, as I've ordered several appliances made for Japan use and the voltage is the same as in Canada.

Some people have imported such organs in Europe/North America, but then it's extremely costly and good luck if you ever need service on it.

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
There are a few things about the Electone that you should know:

Certain models are HIGHLY collectable right now, especially the C600, if I'm remembering correctly. If you can find an old one in good working order, try it out, and if you like it, snag it.

Most modern guys into recording want the Electone mainly for the sequencer. Once you've heard an Electone sequencer, you'll notice right off that it's something you heard a million times before without knowing what it was.

The Electone "organ" is really not an organ: it's the "organ" version of a synthesiser that was especially popular (and expensive) in the late 70's. I have a few of them and use them as analogue synths, not organs.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Let's bring the thread back. I'm pianist, and electone player too. I own a last generation electone, the Stagea ELS-02C, and going upgrade it to ELS-02X (adding full size 25 notes pedalboard)

Hamburg Steinway & Sons C-227
Yamaha Stagea Electone ELS-02X
L
L
I can see this thread is old but I have had several organs. The first was a Farfisa which had problems with how many notes you could play so I swapped it for a Yamaha B series can not remember the model, it had a rotary speaker but limited number of sounds. I also had a Yamaha HS6 which was fantastic, it was middle of the range, HS8 being the top at that time. Now in the Uk they are very rare, there are plenty of single key bed arrangers, I have one myself another Yamaha, a PSR S970, which is pretty good. I have had a various makes, Korg and Roland, but I find the operating system on the Yamaha’s the easiest to master. I have thought of buying a Yamaha Claviona which has the best of both worlds, but I just do not have the room for one. Chris.

Piano:Roland FP30X
Casio CT-S1WE
Arranger: Yamaha PSRS970, I have sold this, not decided yet to replace it.
Plus Native instruments VST Noire etc.
Originally Posted by trandinhnamanh
Let's bring the thread back. I'm pianist, and electone player too. I own a last generation electone, the Stagea ELS-02C, and going upgrade it to ELS-02X (adding full size 25 notes pedalboard)

My first Electone was a B-4 that my parents bought me for my birthday in 1971. A decade later, I started my first band with it, after I sawed the legs off to make it "portable". I've had several other Electones over the years, as well as a Hammond, a Gulbransen, and a Conn. Right now I have another Electone, the HE-6. I have the MIDI out of the organ feeding my Roland RD-2000 for its organ samples. Three channels for upper, lower, and pedals. It's a blast!

Roland RD-2000 / Yamaha EW400 & Electone / lots o' synths
C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
I've just acquired an el-70 and looking for advice on using the feet.

Laissez tomber les mains
nice forum forum.pianoworld.com

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission