2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Week Deals
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
70 members (An Old Square, 36251, Bellicapelli, bobrunyan, Abdol, b4xter, BravoRomeo, 24 invisible), 701 guests, and 440 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
OP Offline
T
Hello All,

I'm looking for a digi piano for myself and my son to learn on. I havent played since I was about 12 where I got to grade 3, so eager to relearn.

There is a 5 year old Roland HP603 for sale second hand near me, and im curious whether anyone has advice on whether to go for this older mid range, or go for a new C1 Air and PX870. They are all around $1600-$1800 AUD.

The Roland seems to have many of the features of higher end pianos particularly the action and the supernatural sound engine. But I dont really know how quickly the tech changes and whether it is now not competitive with the lower priced products.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
The Roland HP603 originally retailed $3200 - US, and typically sold for around $2700. If you can get for 1800 - AUD (1324), this is about half its original price which may not be too bad depending on its condition. Have you seen or tried it; does it look good or beat up? Is the seller a dealer or individual? The former may offer you some warranty. This model originally came (new) with a 10 year warranty. It has features for learning, starting with a nice compliment of practice pieces plus connectivity to ios devices. As to how competitive it may be due to its age will in part depend on what type of connectivity options you might require. HP603 supports midi over USB, HP603A also supports midi over bluetooth but i do not think either model supports USB audio or BT audio.

As a Roland owner, i’ve never been too impressed with their documentation, like owner’s manual (skimpy), but the DP itself has so far been rock-solid reliable, solid & quiet key action and decent sound (the last of the Roland sampled models) where as the 603 is a “modeled” model.

If this 603 is in good condition it should well serve the starter purposes for you and your son..... and when you are not practicing, it effectively makes a nice “classics” player piano to sit & listen to.

- Kawai MP7 and LSR308 monitors
- Roland HP-508
- DT770 Pro-80 and MDR-7506 phones
O
O
C1 air, all day long.

V
V
I have no actual experience with either one, but the "common" myths are that the pha50 keys on roland pianos are very durable while korg rh3 and all casio keys have many reports of instability. Soundwise, it may be a toss-up between the roland and the korg (none of them are universally loved).

N
N
No instability with my C1 Air keys after a year of daily play. The key action feels wonderful.

P
Online Content
P
Of the three keybeds, I’d give the edge to the Roland for piano.

I like the Korg as an all around keybed

Then Casio

But all are fine for learning piano.

I think the Roland is still relevant today. But my limited experience is the plastic hammer actions don’t age well.

While the unweighted spring action plastic keyboards last forever wink

The internal sound engines on digital pianos have had an incremental improvement over the last five years and Roland still uses the supernatural piano engine although it is not universally loved.

I think the biggest advances in sound engines are in external computer generated pianos.

There has been an improvement in connectivity options with blue tooth midi/audio snd usb midi/audio.

The Korg and Casio don’t seem particularly flush in this area. Korg air doesn’t seem to have a usb to host connector.

Good luck in your quest!

FP-90x, PX-330
P
P
Roland HP-603 is not that far from Roland HP-704 (which is still produced) - the same sound engine, same keybed with wooden keys, 2 speakers vs 4 on HP-704.
I expect HP-603 be far superior to new entry-level models - keyboard, sound engine, speaker system and amplification, if it is in good shape and you do not mind buying used.

Roland HP-507RW | Yamaha U1 | Roland FP-90

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Working while pregnant
by Elsbels - 12/07/21 07:41 AM
Improve sound of Casiotone CT-S1
by Charline - 12/07/21 07:28 AM
Which pedals are compatible with Yamaha P-515?
by Olie222 - 12/07/21 05:32 AM
Constant instrument hopping: the recorder
by meghdad - 12/07/21 04:39 AM
Es920 production stopped??
by playplayplay - 12/07/21 12:07 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics210,425
Posts3,151,145
Members103,545
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission