2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
60 members (c2xchrome, bob@pei, Charles Cohen, Abdol, DDobs, busa, brennbaer, AndreaH, briangmoore, 12 invisible), 5,562 guests, and 295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3143093 08/03/21 03:42 PM
OP Offline
I figured I'd become a well-rounded musician(or wanna-be) rather than a piano player
I began my ear training about 1 month ago. using tonedear.com , I found my interval identification is about 80% correct rate.
( simultaneous sound, all intervals).
my question is when should I start my training for triads and seventh chords? Should the above-mentioned rate to achieve a certain number to start?

[Linked Image]

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
24000rpm #3143107 08/03/21 04:16 PM
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by 24000rpm
I figured I'd become a well-rounded musician(or wanna-be) rather than a piano player

Translation .... Learning to play piano is too much work. LOL .....

I hear you.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
24000rpm #3143194 08/03/21 09:41 PM
T
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
T
Many music students don't learn to identify chords by ear but read everything off the sheet. If there is a spot that doesn't sound right, they wouldn't know. Some are really good readers and can read through difficult pieces the first time.

Another group of people like myself arrange, compose music or improvise. We need to be aware of the intervals & chords in the score. I learned basic chords & intervals in high school from a teacher who taught Strings (violin, viola, cello & bass). I couldn't reproduce 3-note chords on a violin but was aware of what they sound like. The students get tested in class. The teacher would play a chord off the piano and we needed to identify it by ear.

Ear training makes playing easier. You figured out the chord progression of a piece you can anticipate the next notes without relying on the sheet to learn them.

24000rpm #3144094 08/07/21 05:11 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by 24000rpm
my question is when should I start my training for triads and seventh chords? Should the above-mentioned rate to achieve a certain number to start?

My advice would be, just give it a try. If it goes well, obviously you were ready. If not, work some more on the intervals.

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by thepianoplayer416
Many music students don't learn to identify chords by ear but read everything off the sheet. If there is a spot that doesn't sound right, they wouldn't know. Some are really good readers and can read through difficult pieces the first time.
……

Ear training makes playing easier. You figured out the chord progression of a piece you can anticipate the next notes without relying on the sheet to learn them.

This is not my experience: that if you read music well, you won’t recognize a wrong note when it is played. Maybe you won’t be able to recognize that a third was played when it should be a fourth, but you should still hear the dissonance of a wrong note. Reading music still involves the skill of listening, otherwise you will not be able to improve on almost any aspect of playing a piece well.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
dogperson #3144157 08/07/21 11:51 AM
T
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by dogperson
This is not my experience: that if you read music well, you won’t recognize a wrong note when it is played.

When you get to an intermediate or advance level definitely agree ear training is important. Having a good ear most people would be able to tell if there is a wrong note in the melody line. The chords for accompaniment is harder to tell. Some of the time you can be off by 1 note and still sounds ok. Like playing off Lead Sheets there may be more than 1 chord that can go into a specific spot. Once I was learning Bach Invention #13 in Am. If I remember correctly it's Bar #15 the treble line starts with F-A-F. Some of the scores have F-Ab-F. The difference is between A & Ab. After hearing the 2 versions, they both sound correct but different so I assumed either is acceptable.

I'd listen to sound recordings carefully to pick out discrepancies. Once I listened to 3 different recordings of the Bach Cello Suite #1 Prelude on radio. They were performed by 3 different professional cellists for comparison. I've heard the piece enough times to know the notes. 1 of the recordings there was a note that was off (between a natural & sharp sort of thing). Is it considered a wrong note?

24000rpm #3144284 08/08/21 12:04 AM
W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
Therefore Jazz

-Bill L. - former tuner-technician

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Few Things :)
by ethanw - 07/05/22 08:28 AM
Squeaky sustain pedal
by L i n u s - 07/05/22 05:14 AM
Chord help
by Moo :) - 07/05/22 02:18 AM
Yamaha U3 or equivalent upright
by Tom Ryshka - 07/05/22 01:35 AM
A comparison of two very different pianos!
by Joseph Fleetwood - 07/04/22 02:17 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,806
Posts3,205,493
Members105,725
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission