2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
70 members (anotherscott, brdwyguy, 36251, BlakeOR, accordeur, Andrew_G, 15 invisible), 1,142 guests, and 425 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

6000 Post Club Member
The Wet Sand Casting versus "V-Pro" Casting for Piano Harps has once again stirred up a lot of passion regarding approaches to plate casting.

At a high level, there seem to be two primary schools of thought:
  • Wet Sand Casting produces a better plate in terms of tone.
  • Wet Sand Casting and V-Pro produce equivalent plates, but v-pro offers advantages for mass production.

No-Bake uses chemical binders instead of the wet binders associated with traditional wet sand casting. V-pro also does not use wet binders, and, consequently, some of the rationales for no-bake are the same as v-pro (btw, I've seen "no-bake," "no bake," and "nobake" in my reading).

One prominent maker has been using the No-Bake casting method for several years now in a modernized foundry, but, in spite of the passion associated with the other two methods, this change hasn't seemed to have stirred up much interest.

Anyway, I'm curious what people's thoughts and impressions of no-bake are, and relative to the other methodologies.

Better, worse, or the same as wet sand and/or v-pro?

How to Upload Pictures
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
One prominent maker has been using the No-Bake casting method for several years now in a modernized foundry, but, in spite of the passion associated with the other two methods, this change hasn't seemed to have stirred up much interest.
If Yamaha were the company using the no-bake method, it would have stirred up much controversy by now.

Taking a break from Piano World but I will receive PMs.
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
The other thread is mainly about Yamaha, Kawai and Steinways.What about European and other pianos, do we know what processes are being used in making the plates? Bake, boil, vacume or sand?

My piano is my friend and my voice to the great unknown, out there..
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Don't forget the CNC water jet cut welded steel plate that Dave Rubenstein uses. People only use cast iron because it's cheap-n-easy (if you have a foundry). Don't forget it is very old tech and was "good enough" at the time. See http://www.pianosrubenstein.com/r371.html

Personally, I'd like to see a CNC machined Invar plate. Not that it would make any difference, but it would be cool to have a plate that is dimensionally stable with temperature changes.

6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sweelinck
If Yamaha were the company using the no-bake method, it would have stirred up much controversy by now.

Yes, the fact that it's an indisputable high end maker who's adopted the new technique changes the calculus at bit, doesn't it?

It will definitely change the FUD factor. Instead of being able to say "all 'top tier' pianos have wet sand cast plates," they'll have to say "no 'top tier' pianos have v-pro plates."

That said, I have to admit that I don't know if they're using no-bake for all their pianos, or just some or certain models.

How to Upload Pictures

6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by tre corda
The other thread is mainly about Yamaha, Kawai and Steinways.What about European and other pianos, do we know what processes are being used in making the plates? Bake, boil, vacume or sand?

If I'm not mistaken, Bechstein and Petrof are the largest European producers, but I don't know where they get their plates. Each probably produces enough that they could justify having their own foundries. Even Steinway outsourced their plates, and effectively still does except that they bought the supplier (O. S. Kelly), so it's vertically integrated now.

I believe Grotrian-Steinweg also use O. S. Kelly plates, so perhaps no-bake is available to them (I don't know).

I think most other European makers produce fairly small numbers, so it might be difficult to justify v-pro from a cost perspective. If I'm not mistaken, the BVK certificate allows for the plate to be imported, which would be somewhat indicative of companies not producing their own, but this is largely conjecture on my part.

How to Upload Pictures

6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pyropaul
Don't forget the CNC water jet cut welded steel plate that Dave Rubenstein uses. People only use cast iron because it's cheap-n-easy (if you have a foundry). Don't forget it is very old tech and was "good enough" at the time. See http://www.pianosrubenstein.com/r371.html

Personally, I'd like to see a CNC machined Invar plate. Not that it would make any difference, but it would be cool to have a plate that is dimensionally stable with temperature changes.

There's all sorts of interesting ways plate making and design could go. Invar is intriguing.

I think there's no question that steel fabrication is easier and more accessible to small boutique makers like Rubenstein than casting iron is (I love those massive legs on his pianos, btw).

I mentioned it in the other thread, but Del has commented that steel works perfectly fine (iirc). And that iron is used largely out of tradition.

How to Upload Pictures

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Why is everyone so obsessed with plates these days? But not strings, hammers, soundboards, rims....?

6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sonepica
Why is everyone so obsessed with plates these days? But not strings, hammers, soundboards, rims....?

grin ha

Don't worry ... before you know it there'll be another hybrid wire thread, or a cold-pressed vs. hot-pressed hammers thread, or a who-can-really-make-a-soundboard thread. Rims...? Maybe a should-the-rim-resonate-or-not thread. ??? Rims don't seem to be too polarizing.

But, part of the point of this thread is that although people get all hot and bothered about v-pro vs. wet sand cast plates, no one is obsessed with no-bake. Seems to be a yawn-fest. **shrug**

How to Upload Pictures

500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
Well since we cannot travel to the October fest (beer is not my thing but...), a yawn fest is still safer than a soundboard one.
😃 I have a feeling "no bake" is going to "take off yet"

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
You haven't mentioned the post war aluminum plates

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Retsacnal

grin ha

Don't worry ... before you know it there'll be another hybrid wire thread, or a cold-pressed vs. hot-pressed hammers thread, or a who-can-really-make-a-soundboard thread. Rims...? Maybe a should-the-rim-resonate-or-not thread. ??? Rims don't seem to be too polarizing.

But, part of the point of this thread is that although people get all hot and bothered about v-pro vs. wet sand cast plates, no one is obsessed with no-bake. Seems to be a yawn-fest. **shrug**

Not obsessed but interested. I haven't done any liquid catalyst no-bake castings but have used cold box (a form of no-bake) and conventional green sand casting. The cold box was much faster and easier to work with but, because the CO2 activator has to be able to permeate the sand, it wasn't possible to produce a nice very smooth mold as you can with conventional green sand casting and, as a result, the surface finish was much rougher when using the cold box. Surface finish aside though you can generally run a more intricate shape with the no-bake methods than you can with green sand.

None of this is likely to have any real relevance to how it will eventually sound when in a piano of course :-)

E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
One of the points about plates to consider is that grey iron and mild steel have almost exactly the same thermal coefficient of expansion as the strings. This means that for a given temp change, both elements will change dimension the same amount thus providing better tuning stability.

Aluminum moves at about twice the rate steel/iron do.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Ed McMorrow, RPT
One of the points about plates to consider is that grey iron and mild steel have almost exactly the same thermal coefficient of expansion as the strings. This means that for a given temp change, both elements will change dimension the same amount thus providing better tuning stability.

Soundboards have quite a different rate of expansion than strings/frame and so dominate the movement, plus the effect of humidity changes. If you want tuning stability all three elements have to work together to give no change versus temperature. Invar frame/strings would be interesting but would still be at the mercy of the wooden soundboard.

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Ed McMorrow, RPT

Very good point Ed. That presumably make the previous idea of an invar metal plate an extremely bad idea, unless the strings were similarly constructed.

S
S
Soundboards have quite a different rate of expansion than strings/frame and so dominate the movement, plus the effect of humidity changes. If you want tuning stability all three elements have to work together to give no change versus temperature. Invar frame/strings would be interesting but would still be at the mercy of the wooden soundboard.

The soundboard is only weakly coupled to the frame/strings system. It's really the physical properties of the frame and strings and the tensions on the strings that determines the frequencies at which the strings vibrate.

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Sammy111

The soundboard is only weakly coupled to the frame/strings system. It's really the physical properties of the frame and strings and the tensions on the strings that determines the frequencies at which the strings vibrate.

No, it's very strongly coupled by the bridge pins! If the soundboard moves, the bridge moves with it - the strings should not slip over those pins as the soundboard moves! If the bridge moves relative to the terminations on the frame (and it will as the soundboard has a vastly different coefficient of expansion) then this will change the tension of the strings more than the expansion/contraction of the frame/strings themselves. Of course, they're all moving due to temperature / humidity change plus the moves in the soundboard also affect the downbearing - so it's complicated. But I think it's an error to say the soundboard is weakly coupled when (as we saw in another thread) there's half a ton of downbearing on the bridge.

6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by tre corda
Well since we cannot travel to the October fest (beer is not my thing but...), a yawn fest is still safer than a soundboard one.
😃 I have a feeling "no bake" is going to "take off yet"

The Octoberfest beats a yawn-fest any day of the week! grin

How to Upload Pictures

6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson
You haven't mentioned the post war aluminum plates

Well, I was focused on the main methods in use currently. But feel free to discuss aluminum frames!

To some of the other environmental comments about aluminum frames, I'm wondering about detrimental interaction between aluminum and steel strings. I'm not a metallurgist, but I know some metals react negatively when they come into contact. ???

How to Upload Pictures

6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by gwing
Originally Posted by Retsacnal

grin ha

Not obsessed but interested. I haven't done any liquid catalyst no-bake castings but have used cold box (a form of no-bake) and conventional green sand casting. The cold box was much faster and easier to work with but, because the CO2 activator has to be able to permeate the sand, it wasn't possible to produce a nice very smooth mold as you can with conventional green sand casting and, as a result, the surface finish was much rougher when using the cold box. Surface finish aside though you can generally run a more intricate shape with the no-bake methods than you can with green sand.

None of this is likely to have any real relevance to how it will eventually sound when in a piano of course :-)

Interesting stuff. We tend to think about iron -- or at least I do -- because we're focused on piano plates, but as I read about no-bake I realized that the various casting methods can be used for other metals too, and that there were multiple (3?) forms of no-bake, or closely related to no-bake.

(I've been in a lot of factories over the years, but never a foundry).

How to Upload Pictures

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Cannon in D Question
by KimbraLaLa - 09/26/21 07:55 PM
Kawai PN100 Digital Piano
by ZDAVE - 09/26/21 05:44 PM
Question about technique
by ItoM_ - 09/26/21 03:37 PM
Mushy Bass Notes - Problem or too much Pedal
by brdwyguy - 09/26/21 02:10 PM
Recording a DP for lessons
by AndyOnThePiano - 09/26/21 12:05 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Our Free Newsletter for Piano Lovers!
The summer edition of our free newsletter
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,301
Posts3,135,365
Members102,827
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission