2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
82 members (Carey, bluebilly, Animisha, anotherscott, 36251, Alfred La Fleur, adamcz, Bruce In Philly, 15 invisible), 688 guests, and 402 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
JoeT Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Did you wonder why digital pianos have become so expensive lately?

That's because prices have been fixed in a cartel since at least 2018:

https://www.bundeskartellamt.de/Sha...en/2021/05_08_2021_Musikinstrumente.html

Yamaha P-515
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

Originally Posted by JoeT

Wow. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

My 'feelings' for Thomann had already cooled down considerably due to growing dissatisfaction in how I was treated in several customer service cases.

With this new knowledge, I'll avoid giving them my custom even more seriously.

Cheers and happy integrity,

HZ

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I have only positive feelings about Thomann. After all, I purchased a NU1X, returned it and replaced it with a N1X. Wouldn't have happened with any other reseller. I'm OK with the "cartel" if that's the way for them being so flexible.

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I wonder whether there are American watchdog agencies looking for similar circumstances in the US or Canada.

JoeT Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
That's because prices have been fixed in a cartel since at least 2018

Addenum: The evidence shows that price fixing started in 2005:

https://www.bundeskartellamt.de/Sha...rtellverbot/2021/B11-31-19_B11-33-19.pdf

Yamaha P-515
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

Originally Posted by CyberGene
I have only positive feelings about Thomann.

Same here, truly happy with them until, unfortunately, my experiences saw a rapid decline over the last months.

Really unfortunate.

Cheers and happy playing,

HZ

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
As a funny matter of fact, I ordered a Yamaha reface CS from Thomann only 8 minutes before this thread was created laugh Not that it would have changed my decision...

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
Ubu Offline
Some time ago i read on the news that several piano makers were fined in uk because fixing prices. I was amazed nobody semmed to care about it, even here. I posted the link but didn't get much attention. People seems to be ok overpaying for their pianos.

P
P

Glad they were caught. Cartels are bad for consumers and forbidden. 21 million euros fines for three companies and responsible staff (!) is quite serious. Nevertheless I believe prices in Europe are lower than in the US for digital pianos. Strange.

A
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
I wonder whether there are American watchdog agencies looking for similar circumstances in the US or Canada.
I don't know, but in the U.S., it is legal for a manufacturer to specify a "MAP" or "Minimum Advertised Price" for their products. A retailer can sell such an item for whatever they want, but they can't advertise it below a certain price. (Also, the retailers themselves cannot conspire among themselves to sell at a certain price.)

JoeT Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianogabe
Glad they were caught. Cartels are bad for consumers and forbidden. 21 million euros fines for three companies and responsible staff (!) is quite serious. Nevertheless I believe prices in Europe are lower than in the US for digital pianos. Strange.

For a long time Yamaha pianos have been much more expensive in the eurozone than in the US and now we now know the reason.

Originally Posted by anotherscott
I don't know, but in the U.S., it is legal for a manufacturer to specify a "MAP" or "Minimum Advertised Price" for their products.

And that's not legal elsewhere. This vertical practice, which Yamaha, Roland and Fender employed is part of the antitrust case.

The main problem however is the market concentration on Thomann making this kind of manipulation possible. With a healthy network of independent dealerships instead of that one "Music Gear Amazon" price fixing practices like these would become impractical. This why antitrust agencies are allowed to break up large market-controlling entities into multiple competing companies for the good of the market.

Yamaha P-515
S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by pianogabe

I think it depends on the product. A Yamaha P-515 is cheaper in the US than in the Eurozone. A Kawai MP7SE is cheaper in the Eurozone than in the US.

When Guitar Center in the US has had storewide 15% or 20% off sales, Yamaha, Roland, and Korg have been excluded, but the sales have applied to Kawai. This leads me to believe that Kawai digital pianos have a higher markup in the US than in the Eurozone.

Primary keyboard interests: Early baroque through early romantic repertoire, blues improvisation.
Originally Posted by Sweelinck
I think it depends on the product. A Yamaha P-515 is cheaper in the US than in the Eurozone. A Kawai MP7SE is cheaper in the Eurozone than in the US.

When Guitar Center in the US has had storewide 15% or 20% off sales, Yamaha, Roland, and Korg have been excluded, but the sales have applied to Kawai. This leads me to believe that Kawai digital pianos have a higher markup in the US than in the Eurozone.
I agree. In Europe CN29 costs about 1300€, it's premium sibling CA49 costs about 2000€, speaking of about +50%.
In the US, they charge $2300 for CA49 and if I see CN 29, it is whopping $2000. It is even more expensive than ES920 inclusive furniture-stand and triple pedal.
In Europe CN29 is way cheaper than a naked ES920. No wonder nobody in an US forum cares about CN29, nor recommends it!

In Europe (thomann-land) the CN29 seem to be a bargain. Yamahas counterpart CLP725 also sells for 300€ more! The reason is maybe because of this antitrust!

Self teaching Adult Beginner without method | Kawai CN29, Senn HD560s
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
[quote=pianogabe][quote=JoeT]Did you wonder why digital pianos have become so expensive lately?

Or maybe just that Kawai doesn't threaten the retailers like the other guys do?

Last edited by Joe Garfield; 08/05/21 09:29 PM.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Japanese corporations typically set long-term foreign exchange target rates. So, when the Euro-dollar fx rate fluctuates, we see some price dislocation. They would also consider local income and VAT rates to set prices IME.

JoeT Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
I think it depends on the product. A Yamaha P-515 is cheaper in the US than in the Eurozone.

Can't confirm this. It's listed at about $1500 (MSRP) at Center and $50 cheaper at Thomann. However previous products used to be much more expensive in Euro.

A Kawai MP7SE is cheaper in the Eurozone than in the US.

According to the antitrust papers until 2015 Fender specified a Minimum Sale Price of 1.5 times the wholesale price. That's the markups we see in this sector. They are outrageous, especially when we compare them with other electronic gadgets. And it's obvious that small dealers don't get these wholesale prices, which is something that needs investigation too.

Yamaha P-515
S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Joe Garfield
[quote=pianogabe][quote=JoeT]Did you wonder why digital pianos have become so expensive lately?

Or maybe just that Kawai doesn't threaten the retailers like the other guys do?

Maybe, but none of the other US retailers ever seem to offer such a discount. I paid $1439 for an MP7SE in mid-2019 during a GC 20% off sale, almost as low as the normal price in the EU:

https://m.thomannmusic.com/kawai_mp_7_se.htm

It is not just keyboard products, but many monitor and PA brands also are excluded in the GC sales. I've heard that if you ask a store manager to extend the sale to an excluded product, they sometimes do.

Primary keyboard interests: Early baroque through early romantic repertoire, blues improvisation.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha GT20 versus NU1X
by Music_with_emma - 09/20/21 08:09 AM
Player pianos
by Selencious - 09/20/21 06:52 AM
What's this bit do?
by chopin_r_us - 09/20/21 03:14 AM
Ivers and Pond Full Upright vs Steinway K52
by Pianolance - 09/19/21 11:25 PM
could you judge my playing please.
by daoc2009 - 09/19/21 09:31 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,200
Posts3,133,717
Members102,777
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission