2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
85 members (Bruce Sato, bobrunyan, brdwyguy, Alfred La Fleur, brennbaer, 36251, benQF, anotherscott, 13 invisible), 695 guests, and 457 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
OP Offline
S
When I first bought this Yamaha P515 I thought I could adjust and adapt to having no pitch wheel. I don't want to make natural instruments do unnatural things, but part of the selling point of this piano is to have it function as a midi controller.

Now I am finding that I cannot get good natural feeling performances using the sustain pedal for pitch bending.

The sustain pedal is the only pedal that can be programmed for pitch bend. And then it's only bending up or only bending down.
If this piano is supposed to also be a midi controller, why in the heck didn't they put a pitch bend wheel on it?

I need a pitch wheel. (or a ribbon if that's all I can get) What are my options for a piece of gear I can add to my rig that will give me pitch wheel (or ribbon), and is also sturdy, reliable, and reasonably powerful without breaking the bank? I don't really need a bunch of other midi controls but I will make do if I have to get a small keyboard or something. Is there anything that is just pitch wheel and mod wheel?

Yamaha P515, Roland U20, Pianoteq, plus guitars, amps, speakers, bass, toontrack, and Reaper.
A
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
A
There are apps that can give you touchscreen pitch/mod controls on an iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch. (Maybe something similar for Android too, I don't know.)

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
One option seems to be to use the LP1 foot pedal assembly, then use a midi expression pedal in the other pedal jack.

Last edited by Joe Garfield; 08/04/21 08:42 PM.
E
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
E
The last time I checked, there was no controllers exclusively with wheels. I could only find a DIY one searching on the internet. The closest thing I think you will able to find is some mini keys controller such as Arturia's Keystep.
[Linked Image]

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Or you can use something like a Korg NanoKontrol2 and do some CC assigning. That's what I'm using with my Kawai VPC1. Hope this helps!

E
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by David Lai
Or you can use something like a Korg NanoKontrol2 and do some CC assigning. That's what I'm using with my Kawai VPC1. Hope this helps!

I think nanokontrol2 does not meet his needs, wheels or strips missing.

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
E
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
E
Another hit an run user? smile

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by EVC2017
Originally Posted by David Lai

I think nanokontrol2 does not meet his needs, wheels or strips missing.

I see. Yeah, you're right -- it only has knobs and other pushy things, no wheels. smile Personally I think they are similar in purpose so actually I didn't care too much. wink

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
@EVC2017 we call that a One Hit Wonder =D

S
OP Offline
S
Thanks, I'm flattered.
Originally Posted by Joe Garfield
I call it working a day job so I can afford to play music at night.
Are you guys really that impatient? 24 hours to judge me a "hit and run"? Lovely.

Yamaha P515, Roland U20, Pianoteq, plus guitars, amps, speakers, bass, toontrack, and Reaper.
Originally Posted by soundchaser59
Thanks, I'm flattered.
Are you guys really that impatient? 24 hours to judge me a "hit and run"? Lovely.

Nah, patience is our middle name! (But unfortunately, "Got-no", is our first name)

Seriously though, I think that a lot of us would be interested in any solutions that you, or any members come up with, so please don't give up on us just yet!

And welcome to the forum!

Side note: I see that we share the use of some of the same technology including PianoTeq and Reaper, as well as Yamaha and Roland keys

Last edited by petes1; 08/05/21 08:39 PM.

Keys: Yamaha GC2, Casio Privia PX-3, Roland RD800, Alesis VI61, Yamaha YC61, Pianoteq 6.0
My motto: Play and Let Play!
G
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
G
Can you assign an expression pedal to the full range you need (low-midpoint-high)?

There are a lot of pitchbend/mod wheels and joysticks from Thomann, korgparts.net, Ebay, etc. If you're handy, I think you can just get the right rotary pot, a wheel, spring and 1/4" TRS connector and cable and make your own to plug into the expression pedal jack? smile

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Thanks, I'm flattered.

I apologize if that was taken as being offensive, I was just playing around.

S
OP Offline
S
I'm using Reaper so I need to keep it compatible with that.
The Reaper guys have mentioned the Korg Nano. I will have to read more info on the Arturia. They also say they have had some issues followed by some success with the Novation Launchkey, depending on how they install it. Anyone have any ideas about that one? It uses a ribbon instead of a wheel but that's not a show stopper.

(Being able to post only once ever 5 minutes is a bit of an annoyance, but I'll deal with it I guess.)

S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by Gombessa
There are a lot of pitchbend/mod wheels and joysticks from Thomann, korgparts.net, Ebay, etc. If you're handy, I think you can just get the right rotary pot, a wheel, spring and 1/4" TRS connector and cable and make your own to plug into the expression pedal jack? smile
Intriguing idea, although I'd rather not have to do a home brew pitch wheel. I wouldn't have thought of that on my own. So far I've only found one small box that is just pitch wheel and mod wheel and nothing else. It was some Russian made thing that was impossible to purchase anywhere or get support for it if I did purchase it. But the demo clip made it look like exactly what I need.

Originally Posted by Gombessa
Can you assign an expression pedal to the full range you need (low-midpoint-high)?
I believe this is possible. One tipster pointed out that the problem with exp pedal for pitch bending is the pedals do not have any "snap to center" feature. My chances of getting it perfectly back to 0 every time I want to let go of the pitch bender are pretty slim. Not sure how I would do that if it doesn't spring back to center on its own.

back to the google drawing board for more searches.....

S
OP Offline
S
I apologize if that was taken as being offensive, I was just playing around.
I won't take it that way if you didn't mean it that way. I'm not trying to be elusive, I do a pretty good job of keeping track of the questions I post and reporting on whatever solutions I end up with. Unfortunately work gets in the way! LOL! This keyboard thing is pretty important to what I do with my music, so I'm pretty gung ho about finding a solution for this. Thanks!

D
D
I had that dilemma a few years back. I just bought a Korg Microkey25, it has an assignable pitchbend/mod 4 way joystick...or there's the 37, which has the separate pitch and mod wheels.

E
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
E
Thanks, I'm flattered.

Hello, Soundchaser59, I was kidding, of course, though it is often the case a newcomer posts only one message and never returns.

I am curious to know how this problem of yours solved. smile

David Lai had a similar (as in need a proper MIDI controller for his use case) a while ago and I found a lot of fun following the thread and knowing the final decision.

Welcome to the forum, BTW.

Last edited by EVC2017; 08/06/21 05:56 AM.

A
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
A
Just making sure you didn't miss my post, soundchaser, since I think it is the only suggestion that has not been commented on. There are apps like this one... https://apps.apple.com/us/app/modwheels/id519468137

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by newer player
Oddly I don't recall many modern 2 wheel sidecars. There are some CV solutions that you (may) need to translate.

Best new solution IMHO is French Touché controller looks best but also expensive
https://www.expressivee.com/buy-touche

Cheapest new solution is some small multi-controler box like this
https://www.korg.com/us/products/computergear/nanokontrol2/

Doepfer sold the WheelBox & WheelElectric. The single "Modulation Wheel kit" is still be on offer. The dual "modulation wheel set" is sold out. Dual "A-174-2 Wheels" is really for a CV rack. You can cobble this stuff into a box.
http://www.doepfer.de/we.htm
http://www.doepfer.de/home_e.htm

Synthesizers.com has a two wheel solution but that is expensive (and maybe CV)
https://www.synthesizers.com/q181w.html

Finally, if you like DIY projects, you could get some used gizmos used from the usual auction sites.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha GT20 versus NU1X
by Music_with_emma - 09/20/21 08:09 AM
Player pianos
by Selencious - 09/20/21 06:52 AM
What's this bit do?
by chopin_r_us - 09/20/21 03:14 AM
Ivers and Pond Full Upright vs Steinway K52
by Pianolance - 09/19/21 11:25 PM
could you judge my playing please.
by daoc2009 - 09/19/21 09:31 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,200
Posts3,133,710
Members102,777
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission