2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
72 members (Alfred La Fleur, anotherscott, 36251, Boboulus, Buzz209, brennbaer, accordeur, c++, 18 invisible), 673 guests, and 438 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3143485 08/04/21 06:53 PM
R
OP Offline
R
I know it has been posted already, but almost 2 years have passed...
I don't know if it's under the rules of this forum, but I'd like to have your opinion again about this duel!

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Riccardo92

The ES920/ES520 were announced on the 9th September 2020.

By my calculation, that's less than one year.

I'd like to have your opinion again about this duel!

My recommendation would be to do some research on both models, try to play them at a store, and then form your own opinion. wink

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
R
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by Kawai James

The ES920/ES520 were announced on the 9th September 2020.

By my calculation, that's less than one year.

I'd like to have your opinion again about this duel!

My recommendation would be to do some research on both models, try to play them at a store, and then form your own opinion. wink

Cheers,
James
x
Yes, of course I know that trying them is the best thing to do! But unfortunately, no one of my local stores have both models...
So, meanwhile I'd like to know some opinions from the ones who have tried both!
Last week I bought a P515 and returned it... now I'm orientated to the ES920, but I feel they are pretty similar

A
A
I prefer the sound of P515 by just a little bit and key action of ES8/MP7SE/ES920 by far. Much smoother, lighter and quicker.

They are similar because they are both 'slab' style (portable) digital pianos with solid internal speakers, 88 keys and similar price category. Both are really good. The playing experience is quite different though.

What didn't you like about returned P515?

Ars non habet osorem nisi ignorantem
T
T
I started playing the piano again after quite a long time.. took lessons when I was 10 but that was 30 years ago. We had Yamaha YDP-162 which my daughter used to play. I sold it last week because the I felt the sound quality was a bit outdated compared to more recent models. The GH key action was actually quite good, maybe the initial feel of keys was a bit slow but it felt very solid and the action was very even and accurate for instrument bought 10 years ago. Main reason for selling was anyway that I really need a stage piano style of instrument which I can move around in my small home office/studio room.

After spending a week with youtube reviews and forums, including this fantastic forum, I'm really torn between P515 and ES8/MP7SE/ES920. Where I live (Finland), there are no used items available or they are maybe 200 euros cheaper than a new item which I think is not worth it. ES8 is sold out last year so that leaves the following:
Kawai MP7SE on sale 1250 eur (1480$)
Yamaha P515 1450 eur (1750$)
ES920 around 1560 eur (1845$)

I was really close to buy the MP7SE but I'm afraid that Kawai will launch new MP-series pianos leaving MP7SE outdated.

But comparing to the others I can't see that the new ES920 is worth +300 eur. And I also dislike the plastic feel of it.

That leaves the P515 against MP7SE. It also is quite old model. Will Yamaha lauch a new version soon. But that is also +200 eur extra. Otherwise it is a very good instrument and also logical step up from the old YDP-162.

This is just so difficult. Somehow I have a feeling that MP7SE is for gigging artist to be played on stage and the key action is "more pop than classical". And Yamaha is more for the classical pianist playing at home ( which i am) But I would like to be wrong and happily buy the cheaper Kawai. If I had the money, I'd buy them both! laugh I've tried so many pianos but eventually I'm not a very good player and don't have the right judgement which instrument is best for me for next 10 years.

I could also buy the super Kawai VPC-1 but that is not just turn on and play.

I have the ES920 and the plastic does not bother me one bit.

98% of the times my hands are on the keys anyways and it is also 37 lbs.

It is much lighter than the P515.

I like to move my piano in different locations in my house and only being 37 lbs helps.

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
A couple of years ago I sold my ES8 which I absolutely loved and purchased the Yamaha P515.

Big mistake, for me. I was not happy with the internal sound.

I then made the big leap and purchased the Kawai MP11SE.

That is a very excellent digital piano.

However, after a while I longed for internal speakers.

So,I sold the MP11SE and purchased the ES920.

The sound was not to my liking ... I returned it.

I may have gotten a clunker because others say they love it.

Anyway .... I wanted the keyboard and sound that I liked .... MP11SE .... so I purchased the MP7SE and have found it to be very similar to the MP11SE and I am very happy with it.

I usually practice with headphones so it is not really necessary to have internal speakers ... so I am good.

Last edited by dmd; 08/05/21 02:52 PM.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, Edifier R1850DB Bookshelf speakers, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
T
T
Played comparing the ES920 and P515 for about an hour. My thoughts:

ES920 action feels lighter and shallower and switching from Yamaha it feels that the keys hit the bottom too early. But that is something to get used to and will be noticed only when comparing side to side.

But I also noticed that playing notes deeper in keys (sorry if not correct term, for example having thumb on black key and playing white key between black keys) the ES action is noticeable heavier. With my skills I find it difficult. I believe the Yamaha NWX action has longer pivot lenght to make the action more even across the lenght of the key. That does not make the Yamaha action better because overall I found it to need significant initial force for the key to move. It was not as accurate as Kawai. Maybe it would be also something to get used to.

Issues with ES920 apply also to the MP7SE. But its cheaper so I could settle for that. I placed an order for MP7SE!

Two hours after placing the order I saw an thread about Pure Piano virtual instrument for iPad! That would be (almost) a plug and play solution with Kawai VPC1. Beeing able to just sit and play is a must! The iPad is usually next to me.

I wasnt aware that such apps exist for ipad. I have been using Pianoteq and have some other piano VSTs already but PC needs always some tweaking if that is not dedicated for the piano use.

Now… should I cancel the MP7SE and get the VPC1. Same price. The key action is said to be superior unless going up to MP11SE which is out of budget. This is getting interesting (again) laugh

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Tommyster
Now… should I cancel the MP7SE and get the VPC1. Same price. The key action is said to be superior unless going up to MP11SE which is out of budget. This is getting interesting (again) laugh

You might find the VPC-1 action heavier than that of the P515, and particularly into the keys where the shortish pivot will make itself noticed.
Try it first!

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
H
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

@Tommyster, Yes, the VPC1 has a 'superior' action *but* is rather heavier as well.

I'd say it would be essential for you to compare these actions in person, just like you did with the 920/515, to make a sound distinction between these instruments.

Cheers and happy decision making,

HZ

T
T
The global lack of instruments does not make the comparison easy. VPC1 is nowhere near for testing, only web-order.

Mostly I was relying on Pianomanchuck and other reviewers. I know I shouldn’t trust them without making my own judgement

T
T
Originally Posted by peterws
You might find the VPC-1 action heavier than that of the P515, and particularly into the keys where the shortish pivot will make itself noticed.
Try it first!

This issue is probably the reason why many have told they are waiting for the VPC2… although VPC1 is praised there’s no way around the relatively short pivot (usually compared to longer pivot in MP11SE )

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

ES920 action feels lighter and shallower and switching from Yamaha it feels that the keys hit the bottom too early. But that is something to get used to and will be noticed only when comparing side to side.

But I also noticed that playing notes deeper in keys (sorry if not correct term, for example having thumb on black key and playing white key between black keys) the ES action is noticeable heavier. With my skills I find it difficult. I believe the Yamaha NWX action has longer pivot lenght to make the action more even across the lenght of the key. That does not make the Yamaha action better because overall I found it to need significant initial force for the key to move. It was not as accurate as Kawai. Maybe it would be also something to get used to.

Issues with ES920 apply also to the MP7SE. But its cheaper so I could settle for that. I placed an order for MP7SE!

Two hours after placing the order I saw an thread about Pure Piano virtual instrument for iPad! That would be (almost) a plug and play solution with Kawai VPC1. Beeing able to just sit and play is a must! The iPad is usually next to me.

I wasnt aware that such apps exist for ipad. I have been using Pianoteq and have some other piano VSTs already but PC needs always some tweaking if that is not dedicated for the piano use.

Depends. The MP7SE is the most functionally advanced stage instrument that has more sounds, more layers etc than the MP11SE. It's also lighter.

The VPC1 has a nicer action, but if you want organ or synth, the RHIII is a better action for that.

Basically, piano only, MP11SE, multi usage, go with the MP7SE.

The VPC1 has inferior pedals. This and the action is shorter in pivot than the standard MP11 which has the same older triple pedal. If the pedal is not an issue, consider a uses MP11, or the VPC1.

Want better amplification and drivers, go with the ES920.

Last edited by Doug M.; 08/07/21 04:25 PM.

Instruments: Current - Kawai MP7SE; Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000
Software: Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand: K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
Originally Posted by Doug M.

Depends. The MP7SE is the most functionally advanced stage instrument that has more sounds, more layers etc than the MP11SE. It's also lighter.

The VPC1 has a nicer action, but if you want organ or synth, the RHIII is a better action for that.

Basically, piano only, MP11SE, multi usage, go with the MP7SE.

The VPC1 has inferior pedals. This and the action is shorter in pivot than the standard MP11 which has the same older triple pedal. If the pedal is not an issue, consider a uses MP11, or the VPC1.

Want better amplification and drivers, go with the ES920.

Well said Doug! What an informed reply.

Yamaha P-255 & Yamaha P-80

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha GT20 versus NU1X
by Music_with_emma - 09/20/21 08:09 AM
Player pianos
by Selencious - 09/20/21 06:52 AM
What's this bit do?
by chopin_r_us - 09/20/21 03:14 AM
Ivers and Pond Full Upright vs Steinway K52
by Pianolance - 09/19/21 11:25 PM
could you judge my playing please.
by daoc2009 - 09/19/21 09:31 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,200
Posts3,133,701
Members102,777
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission