2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
57 members (adamcz, Alan F, 36251, Bruce In Philly, anotherscott, c++, accordeur, 13 invisible), 1,538 guests, and 769 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
I
IDRuss Offline OP
OP Offline
I
Hello, I posted here last winter for recommendations on a compact keyboard for learning in a camper while our house was being built and got some good advice. I ended up with a Yamaha E463 that I've really enjoyed. We are now in the new house and I'm in the market for a full size 88-key digital piano with good action and sounds.

Budget roughly $1,000 but I could stretch this a little if the value is there.

Use case is recreational playing for me (pop/rock, CCM, beginner classical) and also my daughter is studying violin and is considering a local music program which will include four semesters of piano as a core requirement, so we would also like something that will be suited up through intermediate levels for her studies. I do not care about 1,000 sounds and features, but want a few really good piano samples. Speakers need to be loud and clean enough to fill a room and accompany a violin.

It will sit in our master living space, so it needs to look nice with a full stand (no X frames). It doesn't need to be high end hardwood, but nothing flimsy and cheap looking.

I'm looking at setups like the Yamaha Arius series, the Casio Privia series with stands, or even a Yamaha P125 with their stand and triple pedal add-ons...

Other than the Arius, I'm not able to find anything local to try out so I'll likely order something without playing it first.

I have also seen older (~15 year old) Clavinovas locally in the low $1,000 range. While I know these were mid-higher end DP's in their day, I'm concerned they are probably just really dated on sounds and parts might become an issue. Also, while the cabinets are nice, the interface looks pretty dated.

Any recommendations or overall advice?

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Go play a Yamaha P125 and Kawai ES110. I've owned the P125 and it was a decent entry piano for the price. Don't buy any used digital that was introduced to the market over five years ago due to technology advances. Also consider making your own keyboard stand - someone with minimal woodworking skills can make a superior one compared to the overpriced market offerings.

Since you have a home, have you considered an acoustic piano?

Last edited by TBell; 08/04/21 12:00 PM. Reason: edit
I
IDRuss Offline OP
OP Offline
I
While I think acoustic pianos are cool, I dont really want one for the typical reasons: pain to move, dont want to deal with tuning, cannot practice without bothering everyone in the house.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I have played (and previously owned) some of the various models in the Yamaha Arius line, they are very nice, super reliable, and will be an excellent learning tool for you and your daughter. And they look quite nice and will be fine in a living room or spot that company sees.

My first piano was actually a Yamaha YDP 120 (or 121, I'm not sure), which is the precursor to the current Arius line up (you'll see the model numbers for all the Arius ones still start with YDP). That piano still plays after slightly more than 20 years, it's in my in-law's house in Japan. smile When we returned to the US, I had a Yamaha Arius... I want to say it was a YDP 161, maybe 160. I kept that for about 10 years. I sold it (for $500!) when I got my grand and as far as I know, it's still being played. So yeah, I would definitely recommend a Yamaha Arius.

I was thinking they tend to be a bit more than $1000, but a quick google search shows you might be able to find a deal. Although if you want the 164 or 184 (or whatever the current model number is, 16x, 18x) you might be closer to the $1700-2000 range??

You might check over in the Digital Piano Forum and do a search to see if there is an easy way to decide between the three options (YDP 140, 160, 180).
http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/forums/6/1.html

Good luck!

Last edited by ShiroKuro; 08/04/21 01:26 PM.

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I have been extremely happy with my Casio PX-S3000
I like playing it more than my acoustic.
$750

Casio PX-S3000
Nope, no issues with it at all.
Took lessons from 1960 to 1969, stopped at age 16.
Started again in July 2020 at age 67. Lots more fun now!
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by IDRuss
While I think acoustic pianos are cool, I dont really want one for the typical reasons: pain to move, dont want to deal with tuning, cannot practice without bothering everyone in the house.

Get one with a silent system... oh wait then you still have the other reasons you mentioned haha.

Originally Posted by trooplewis
I have been extremely happy with my Casio PX-S3000
I like playing it more than my acoustic.
$750

I owned an acoustic once and I also liked playing my digital keyboards more. It's just my style, preference and what I prefer and enjoy. I still love the sound and look of acoustics just not for me and what I want to play and learn. Maybe some day if I have the room I'd have both.

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
I like Kawai's actions the best. The ES110 is $999, though the matching stand is extra.
https://kawaius.com/product/es110/

B
B
I'm quite happy with my Roland FP-30, which is a portable DP, with the added KSC-70 stand and DP-10 pedal. The piano itself is just a tad over 1000 USD, plus a few hundred more for the accessories.

Roland also has a range of uprights, including one used my daughter at her school, a F-140R, which sounds good. The RP-102 is their least expensive upright. See Roland F-140R review which also mentions the RP-102.

The uprights/consoldes generally look better than the portables for a living room. They might also cost quite a bit more. A list of five of the best under 1.5k is at Piano Dreamers

There are lots comparison and review videos on Youtube (example: versus KDP110). But ultimately you have to go to the store and try a few pianos in your price range to decide which one YOU like best...

M
M
I’m slightly confused- online vendors shows these DPs at $699 to $799, plus stand. I got my ES110 this year for $100 below the advertised price by just asking. I notice at least one of the posters is in Hawaii, so I might expect a higher price there, but in the continental US they’re quite a bit below $1k. For a little more than 1k you can start getting into the mid-range (Kawai ES520 or Roland FP 60x).

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by IDRuss

I was seriously thinking of a silent one, but the one I liked didn't play as well as the digital and repeating notes wasn't brilliant.
It was also heavier than my digital which bothers my thumbs a tad.
I'd've been crazy to go down that path.
Enjoy what you finally decide on. I don't think you can go really wrong these days; they're all very good and the choices narrow themselves down with time and thought.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
Selling Hammond D100 (think B3) Organ & Leslie HL722!
---------------------
Our Fall 2021 Free Newsletter is Out , see it here!
---------------------
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Baldwin L vs. Steinway A
by noyes - 10/26/21 06:08 PM
New Steinway O- Yeti Revelation Scoring Grand
by newer player - 10/26/21 01:54 PM
Difficulty Adjusting to a lighter weight piano
by CoffeeTea21 - 10/26/21 12:57 PM
Non-creaky beginner piano setup?
by cai.linn - 10/26/21 12:56 PM
Upright Dampers - thin wood backing
by jkess114 - 10/26/21 12:27 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,756
Posts3,142,225
Members103,122
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission