2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (accordeur, Carey, AlkansBookcase, brdwyguy, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, bcalvanese, 6 invisible), 1,892 guests, and 286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 17 of 18 1 2 15 16 17 18
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Jethro
Has there ever been an episode on shark tank regarding human bug spray? If not, someone really needs to invent some.

As far as I know, all bug spray is made for humans. I mean, non-human animals wouldn't have the required opposable thumbs or know how to use it anyway.

J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Sweelinck
Originally Posted by David-G
Your proposition that strings break because molecular sized razors of diamond hardness are cutting into them is hardly the simpler explanation of the two.

No? It seems a simple explanation to me. Whether it is true or not I have no idea. I am not a materials scientist. I suspect you are not either.

The research of the Australian military reported in an article that I posted above found no measurable difference in hardness between castings with wet sand at atmospheric pressure and castings with dry sand at pressure reduced by a vacuum chamber.

Wouldn't that falsify the theory of diamond crystals in the v-cast plates?
That’s interesting. I must have missed that. Why hasn’t anyone taken an electron microscope to the metal to see if such crystals exist?

J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Sonepica
Has there ever been an episode on shark tank regarding human bug spray? If not, someone really needs to invent some.

As far as I know, all bug spray is made for humans. I mean, non-human animals wouldn't have the required opposable thumbs or know how to use it anyway.
Good point wink. But I’m trying to find some that actually wards off humans.

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B

Bugs are more clever than you might have thought.

Semipro Tech

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member

9000 Post Club Member

Pepper spray?

Might be less problematic to just try being friendlier. You know, kill ‘em with kindness. Or catch more flies with honey than vinegar. But people who always have to be the “smartest” guy in the room, tend to rub others the wrong way.

Rumpelstiltskin

Search US techs by Zip Code
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Ed McMorrow, RPT
Yamaha pianos in recording studios that get tuned often usually start to shed treble wire after about ten years.

If this is such a big issue, then why haven't Yamaha and Kawai (and other manufacturers) taken any action on this? Also, if it's only pianos that get tuned several times a week that are a problem, private owners are unlikely to encounter this issue.
There are many explanations of why one may observe anecdotally why piano strings fail more often in V-pro casted plates over casted plates- if one was to actually observe this to be the case. A simple explanation would be given the fact that there are more V-pro cast pianos in use there are more strings can be observed to break but the ratio between sand casted versus v-pro casted string breaks is actually the same. Another simple explanation could be that given that v-pro plated pianos tend to be cheaper they may be housed in less than ideal climate controlled environments than typically the more expensive high end sand casted pianos allowing for corrosion to set in lowering the yield strength of the metal strings in these pianos. Another explanation may be that Ed is right but given that this is not a widely accepted explanation and can lead to inflammatory statements from certain salesmen trying to outsell their competition, he really needs to test his theory before stating it as fact where all factors are controlled including the ones I just mentioned above.

9000 Post Club Member

9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by tre corda
Are you talking about chiropractic science Jethro?
Does science and chiropractic belong in the same sentence? Ok I kid, I Kid!

Good grief. Now you’re making fun of chiropractors...?

I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume it’s self deprecation! thumb

J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Retsacnal

Pepper spray?

Might be less problematic to just try being friendlier. You know, kill ‘em with kindness. Or catch more flies with honey than vinegar. But people who always have to be the “smartest” guy in the room, tend to rub others the wrong way.

Rumpelstiltskin
I always try to kill people with kindness but it doesn’t appear to be working on the “smartest” guy in the room who always needs to be right by obsessively trying to prove the “kindest” guy in the room wrong. wink

J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J

Ha, I’ve assumed many roles in my life and I’m pretty sure chiropractor is not one of them.

J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by BDB

Bugs are more clever than you might have thought.
Something straight out of the movie Aliens.

J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
But the issue of hard castings at the V-bar also makes treble tone more harsh, so even if you don't get your piano tuned like a performance instrument, it affects sound quality.
But then again, why is the C7 the most popular piano on the planet?

9000 Post Club Member

9000 Post Club Member

Ha, I’ve assumed many roles in my life and I’m pretty sure chiropractor is not one of them.

So...you are making fun of chiropractors?

I guess that leaves physical therapist.

J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by BDB
They should rename that, ‘Retsacnal’s Theme”.

Last edited by Jethro; 08/04/21 03:37 AM.
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
But the issue of hard castings at the V-bar also makes treble tone more harsh, so even if you don't get your piano tuned like a performance instrument, it affects sound quality.

People find the harsh tone in the treble useful for annoying neighbors and the constant string breakage appeals to the DIY crowd and makes people feel cool that they are breaking strings like that guy in Shine.

J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J

People find the harsh tone in the treble useful for annoying neighbors and the constant string breakage appeals to the DIY crowd and makes people feel cool that they are breaking strings like that guy in Shine.
Which also shows you why you need to be careful with those Rachmaninov concertos wink unlike that guy in Shine.

Last edited by Jethro; 08/04/21 03:36 AM.

9000 Post Club Member

9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BDB
They should rename that, ‘Renatscal’s Theme”.

I’d love to have a Gershwin tune named after me. Of course, Gershwin would be smart enough to spell it right. thumb

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S

Which also shows you why you need to be careful with those Rachmaninov concertos wink unlike that guy in Shine.

Fortunately, my piano is only suitable for early classical so there is very little chance of string breakage.

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
My understanding of hardness in iron casting is the significant variable is cooling rate. The slower it cools, the more graphite form the carbon becomes.

I imagine it would be possible to V-pro a plate, and have it cool as slow as a sand cast one resulting in an equality of hardness between the two methods.

My belief is that the notion that wet sand plates cool more slowly is a myth perpetuated by piano dealers. I believe that the water content in wet sand would cause a wet sand casting to cool more rapidly than castings in dry sand in a vacuum chamber. When molten iron comes in content with wet sand, the water will be converted to steam, and the phase shift will absorb heat from the molten iron.

My knowledge is more of steel casting than iron but I believe the difference in cooling times is primarily due to production process i.e. the vacuum cast frames can, for the same strength, be lighter in construction and more accurately cast with fewer internal stresses that have to be resolved before removing from the mold. These factors all enable the frame to be more quickly removed from the mold and cooled if desired - and as time is money, it probably is desired.

Interestingly you can after unmolding subsequently heat treat and slow cool cast items, from either process, to increase ductility of the iron which if anyone ever takes that extra step might give softer V bars. At another increase in expenditure of course.

Last edited by gwing; 08/04/21 07:48 AM.
J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by gwing
My understanding of hardness in iron casting is the significant variable is cooling rate. The slower it cools, the more graphite form the carbon becomes.

I imagine it would be possible to V-pro a plate, and have it cool as slow as a sand cast one resulting in an equality of hardness between the two methods.

My belief is that the notion that wet sand plates cool more slowly is a myth perpetuated by piano dealers. I believe that the water content in wet sand would cause a wet sand casting to cool more rapidly than castings in dry sand in a vacuum chamber. When molten iron comes in content with wet sand, the water will be converted to steam, and the phase shift will absorb heat from the molten iron.

My knowledge is more of steel casting than iron but I believe the difference in cooling times is primarily due to production process i.e. the vacuum cast frames can, for the same strength, be lighter in construction and more accurately cast with fewer internal stresses that have to be resolved before removing from the mold. These factors all enable the frame to be more quickly removed from the mold and cooled if desired - and as time is money, it probably is desired.

Interestingly you can after unmolding subsequently heat treat and slow cool cast items, from either process, to increase ductility of the iron which if anyone ever takes that extra step might give softer V bars. At another increase in expenditure of course.
And I think that is one area where a sand casted plate may have an advantage over the V-pro acoustically speaking. A good plate to my understanding is able to take the tons of pressure placed upon it by the string tension and at the same time ideally does not add any unwanted resonances of its own. Though lighter in weight the V-pro is just as strong to take the tons of pressure placed upon it but not hefty enough to eliminate all unwanted resonances. Heavy is good if you to dampen unwanted frequencies. This is my opinion only but there might not be any truth to it so I’m wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this.

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by gwing

And I think that is one area where a sand casted plate may have an advantage over the V-pro acoustically speaking. A good plate to my understanding is able to take the tons of pressure placed upon it by the string tension and at the same time ideally does not add any unwanted resonances of its own. Though lighter in weight the V-pro is just as strong to take the tons of pressure placed upon it but not hefty enough to eliminate all unwanted resonances. Heavy is good if you to dampen unwanted frequencies. This is my opinion only but there might not be any truth to it so I’m wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this.

Possibly, depending on the manufacturing compromises, it is not black and white. If a V-pro plate is cast to the same strength as a sand plate it will be lighter. However there is nothing stopping you casting a V-pro plate to the same weight as the sand plates which would be substantially stronger and (presumably) just as good acoustically. And between those two extremes the V-pro plate might have an infinite number of compromises depending on just how much money you want to put into the overengineering beyond the necessary strength. But this is all speculation anyway, nobody has demonstrated properly, as far as I'm aware, that a sandcast plate actually has sonic advantages over a V-pro.

Page 17 of 18 1 2 15 16 17 18

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission