2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (20/20 Vision, 36251, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, 10 invisible), 1,461 guests, and 299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 15 of 18 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 18
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Is he even still doing it? Last I saw he had started making videos about "America's backroads".

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member

9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Jethro
Originally Posted by Ed McMorrow, RPT
Jethro, can you bring some science to the topic? What experience do you have with piano castings?
Or are you pouring some now at the beach?
Sure! How about taking brand new pianos strings wrap them around their termination points on a V-pro plate and a sand casted plate and put several tons of tension on them until they break. The hypothesis being that the ones wrapped around the V-pro plate should theoretically break sooner or more often given the abrasive nature of the surface. Repeat the process until you have enough controlled and random trials to show their is indeed a statistical significance to what you are theorizing. It's that simple. Without such trials you are going by only what you think you are seeing and not what might actually be happening. Ie. you might just be talking out of your ass and someone as educated and respected as you shouldn't be doing that.

A hypothesis is a proposed explanation (e.g. "if this then that"). "Theoretically," essentially means "maybe it will, maybe it won't." So, you ought not include the word "theoretically" in a hypothesis ( e.g. not "if this then theoretically that"). That's actually exactly the distinction that a well-defined experiment ought to be concretely determining.

Although it's poorly constructed, you word choice belies your bias and contempt, as does ending by repeating your earlier insult. A bonafide scientist should be unbiased, and dispassionate.

Frankly, the hasty "experiment" doesn't even indicate that you truly grasp the issue under discussion, let alone test for it. You're throwing around buzz words like "random" and "controlled," but you don't seem to account for those characteristics.

You're welcome to revise and resubmit. wink

(On a tangential note, )

Those who repeatedly accuse others of talking out of their anal orifice,
should be sure that they're not doing the same. thumb

Search US techs by Zip Code
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
James is obviously sincere in his love of music and the piano.He has been interested almost all of his life.I am always amazed at the number of many people who are delighted with him.One elderly woman I know just loves his piano delmmonstrations.As for making money with his interest why not? I would rather watch him than someone playing dreadfully with the sustain pedal constantly depressed

http://aloveofmusic.com/

S
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Originally Posted by Sonepica
Is he even still doing it? Last I saw he had started making videos about "America's backroads".

He’s posted two piano videos in the last two weeks,

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Perhaps we should conclude this thread by agreeing that Sonepica was right about everything.

See you guys at the next wet sand vs V pro casting thread!
Of course you are the winner Sonepica, who would doubt that!😉

My piano's voice is my voice to God and the great unknown universe, and to those I love.
In other words a hymn. That is all, but that is enough. tre corda

S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
I hope that someone is declared a winner after 284 posts.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Reminds me of the chorus of a Carly Simon song from 1972...

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by tre corda
James is obviously sincere in his love of music and the piano.He has been interested almost all of his life.I am always amazed at the number of many people who are delighted with him.One elderly woman I know just loves his piano delmmonstrations.As for making money with his interest why not? I would rather watch him than someone playing dreadfully with the sustain pedal constantly depressed

http://aloveofmusic.com/
I’m beginning to warm up to him. I can never dislike someone with a passion for the piano and just wants to share his ideas. Very enthusiastic in his videos. I don’t necessarily agree with everything he says but some of his videos can be entertaining.

J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Retsacnal
Jethro, can you bring some science to the topic? What experience do you have with piano castings?
Sure! How about taking brand new pianos strings wrap them around their termination points on a V-pro plate and a sand casted plate and put several tons of tension on them until they break. The hypothesis being that the ones wrapped around the V-pro plate should theoretically break sooner or more often given the abrasive nature of the surface. Repeat the process until you have enough controlled and random trials to show their is indeed a statistical significance to what you are theorizing. It's that simple. Without such trials you are going by only what you think you are seeing and not what might actually be happening. Ie. you might just be talking out of your ass and someone as educated and respected as you shouldn't be doing that.

A hypothesis is a proposed explanation (e.g. "if this then that"). "Theoretically," essentially means "maybe it will, maybe it won't." So, you ought not include the word "theoretically" in a hypothesis ( e.g. not "if this then theoretically that"). That's actually exactly the distinction that a well-defined experiment ought to be concretely determining.

Although it's poorly constructed, you word choice belies your bias and contempt, as does ending by repeating your earlier insult. A bonafide scientist should be unbiased, and dispassionate.

Frankly, the hasty "experiment" doesn't even indicate that you truly grasp the issue under discussion, let alone test for it. You're throwing around buzz words like "random" and "controlled," but you don't seem to account for those characteristics.

(On a tangential note, )

Blah blah blah ….. blah blah.

J
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by terminaldegree
Reminds me of the chorus of a Carly Simon song from 1972...

The one with Mick Jagger on backing vocals? This whole forum is going that way!

YAMAHA Artist
E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
Perhaps you do better experimental work in the sandbox. I do mine at the wave table of life where I test hypotheses against reality. "Random" is to be eliminated as much as possible.

After nearly 50 years of inspecting and reshaping V-bars; my hand has a very good feel for what the plate metal is like. Many of these pianos I have reshaped V-bars on I have been maintaining for this whole time too. No problems with string buzzes/noises or breakage. In fact I have had a total of three strings break out of the many thousands I have installed over my career and one of those was a wound string.

My hypotheses are all within the bounds of known material science and vibratory modes behavior. I employ Occam's razor.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
B
BDB Offline
B
Perhaps you do better experimental work in the sandbox. I do mine at the wave table of life where I test hypotheses against reality. "Random" is to be eliminated as much as possible.

After nearly 50 years of inspecting and reshaping V-bars; my hand has a very good feel for what the plate metal is like. Many of these pianos I have reshaped V-bars on I have been maintaining for this whole time too. No problems with string buzzes/noises or breakage. In fact I have had a total of three strings break out of the many thousands I have installed over my career and one of those was a wound string.

My hypotheses are all within the bounds of known material science and vibratory modes behavior. I employ Occam's razor.

And somehow you think that your experience differs from others who do not worry about the stuff you worry about.

Semipro Tech
J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J

There is very little differentiating on how you draw your conclusions compared to how members of the flat earth society draw theirs.

This is not to say that what you are concluding may not be true. It is interesting and may be useful to the manufacturing of pianos, but you have to test it first before you claim it be fact. Everything makes sense to the flat earthers because their conclusions seem so obvious but science says otherwise.

The fundamental concept behind Occam's razor is that of two competing theories, the simpler explanation of an entity is to be preferred. I'm not a piano rebuilder but it would seem to me that the reason why piano strings break is simply because they have been fatigued beyond their breaking point either due to corrosion or overuse. Your proposition that strings break because molecular sized razors of diamond hardness are cutting into them is hardly the simpler explanation of the two.

Last edited by Jethro; 08/03/21 12:54 PM.
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S

I've never had a string break in a piano I've owned. Should I expect them to if the V-bar was not shaped to your specifications?

Reading Piano World with Javascript turned off (no logins, no ads, fast response times). I will receive PMs.
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Originally Posted by Almaviva
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Of course, I can also mention the review of the S7X by James Pavel Shawcross. Now I know some of you here will disparage his expertise by saying he is not a serious pianist, nor piano technician; however, he has played a lot of high end pianos and thought carefully about their tonal characteristics. He considered the Yamaha S7X to be one of his favourites, despite its V cast frame.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FSCZCqWe-Y
The opinions of one or two people are no more than that. In the case of JPS I think it matters greatly that he is not an advanced pianist or piano tech since those are two of the biggest indicators of knowledge. It matters little that he has played a lot of pianos and "thought carefully"(how would anyone know that and how can someone with little knowledge do that?).

You guys are way too hard on James Pavel Shawcross. Keep in mind that this kid is only 20 or 21 years old. His knowledge of some piano minutiae (e.g., the names of exotic wood veneers used on piano rims, historical details of some piano companies, etc.) is a little lacking, and his pronunciation of some German piano company names is hilarious, but his basic knowledge of the piano is quite good. As for the charge that "he is not a serious pianist", keep in mind that he has been playing the piano ever since he was 5 years old, and that he is continuing his musical studies (including piano) at Eastern Tennessee State University. (His recording studio is in Nashville.)

In summary - ease up on the kid, guys! smile
Sorry, but playing the piano since he was five does not make him a good pianist. Based on his playing leveI, I doubt very much he is a piano major at college. He is a not just a young person but he is a young person who is offering his opinion on pianos on countless YouTube videos. Considering his knowledge level I find that pretentious, although my guess is he's made some money from the videos.

I don't use his videos myself, but if he's found a way to make a living as a musician, more power to him.

Reading Piano World with Javascript turned off (no logins, no ads, fast response times). I will receive PMs.
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Your proposition that strings break because molecular sized razors of diamond hardness are cutting into them is hardly the simpler explanation of the two.

No? It seems a simple explanation to me. Whether it is true or not I have no idea. I am not a materials scientist. I suspect you are not either.

J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by David-G
Your proposition that strings break because molecular sized razors of diamond hardness are cutting into them is hardly the simpler explanation of the two.

No? It seems a simple explanation to me. Whether it is true or not I have no idea. I am not a materials scientist. I suspect you are not either.
There's a difference between simple and simpler. In my line of work I deal with the human body and we are also dealing with solid materials such as dense connective that experiences "creep" such as ligaments or tendons that overstretch and eventually can rupture or deform permanently when placed under long term mechanical stress.

Unless any piano builder or rebuilder wants to correct me but the most simple explanation of why some piano strings break is due to long-term exposure to high levels of stress that are still below the yield strength of the metal. They are simply overstretched over time from being hit repeatedly by the hammers and being stretched from repeated stress from from numerous tunings over time. I would think the yield strength is compromised if the metal had also been exposed to the elements and became corroded over time. Another contribution may be manufacturing defects. The common factor in all of this is that the tensile strength of the string had been exceeded not because something is cutting through them.

This is the simpler explanation of why strings break, not because of abrasive elements that form in the construction of a V-pro plate- which if it was true we, we would see strings breaking more often in V-pro plate pianos over sand casted plate pianos and as far as I know, no one can validate this observation. Or has there been an abundance of piano owners coming into the shop with V-pro plated pianos complaining of broken strings?

9000 Post Club Member

9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Retsacnal

(On a tangential note, )

Blah blah blah ….. blah blah.

EXACTLY !! thumb

Search US techs by Zip Code
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

B
BDB Offline
B

Semipro Tech
W
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
W
The most simple explanation of why some piano strings break is due to long-term exposure to high levels of stress that are still below the yield strength of the metal. They are simply overstretched over time from being hit repeatedly by the hammers and being stretched from repeated stress from from numerous tunings over time. I would think the yield strength is compromised if the metal had also been exposed to the elements and became corroded over time. Another contribution may be manufacturing defects. The common factor in all of this is that the tensile strength of the string had been exceeded not because something is cutting through them.

This is the simpler explanation of why strings break, not because of abrasive elements that form in the construction of a V-pro plate- which if it was true we, we would see strings breaking more often in V-pro plate pianos over sand casted plate pianos and as far as I know, no one can validate this observation. Or has there been an abundance of piano owners coming into the shop with V-pro plated pianos complaining of broken strings?

Corrosion aside, Jethro, where does this theory predict strings will break? At contact points (tuning pin, v-bar, bridge pins, hitch pin) or at random points in between?

Ian Russell
Schiedmayer & Soehne, 1925 Model 14, 140cm
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
Page 15 of 18 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 18

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission