2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (36251, 1200s, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, 11 invisible), 1,517 guests, and 325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
kiwibd Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Hey guys! I own a Yamaha N-1 at my own home. I am now looking for a second piano, so that I can practice when I am staying over at my partner's home. My budget is under 1000 EUR, if it is possible.

The only thing I care about is the action and touch sensitivity. I don't care about other functionality at all. I would appreciate every suggestion. Thank you in advance! smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
It will definitely help PW help you if you lend some weight as to what you might consider “best action”. Some potentially good help is that you already play an N-1 ..... so, perhaps if you describe your impression - likes/dislikes - of that action, it will help narrow down what action might be best for you in the much-lower 1k EUR price range.

Edit: example - most if not all DPs these days support menu- adjustable “touch sensitivity” however, this is software, not hardware adjustability IE. it does not actually adjust the way the action feels, so this request of yours may be moot.

Last edited by drewr; 07/27/21 01:44 PM.

- Kawai MP7 and LSR308 monitors
- Roland HP-508
- DT770 Pro-80 and MDR-7506 phones
K
kiwibd Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Originally Posted by drewr
It will definitely help PW help you if you lend some weight as to what you might consider “best action”. Some potentially good help is that you already play an N-1 ..... so, perhaps if you describe your impression - likes/dislikes - of that action, it will help narrow down what action might be best for you in the much-lower 1k EUR price range.

Thanks for the reply. For a good action, I mean as sensitive as possible. It does not have to be light but it has to be able to sense the variation of different weights I exercise on the key. It should also be able to repeat notes fairly quickly so that I can play repeated chords (like those of Rachmaninoff).

Last edited by kiwibd; 07/27/21 01:44 PM.
C
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
C
The list of models for heated debate/personal anecdotes and strong (but humble) opinions could be something like:

Cabinet digital pianos
- Yamaha YDP-164
- Kawai KDP-120
- Casio Celviano AP-470
- Casio Celviano AP-270

"Compact" cabinet digital pianos
- Yamaha YDP-S54
- Casio Privia PX-870
- Korg LP-380U
- Korc C1 Air
- Casio Privia PX-770

Portable/stage pianos with speakers
- Kawai ES-520
- Roland RD-88
- Roland FP-30X
- Kawai ES-110

I don't have opinions.

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by kiwibd
Hey guys! I own a Yamaha N-1 at my own home. I am now looking for a second piano, so that I can practice when I am staying over at my partner's home. My budget is under 1000 EUR, if it is possible.

The only thing I care about is the action and touch sensitivity. I don't care about other functionality at all. I would appreciate every suggestion. Thank you in advance! smile

Used ES8 £700-850
Used VPC1
Used P515
Used MP7SE
Used FP90

Any ex top end used portable would be way better than new beginner instruments.

Or, if you are feeling a bit more self-rewarding, a new ES920 would be that bit nicer.

Instruments......Kawai MP7SE.............................................(Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000)
Software..........Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand...............K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
Piano stool.......K&M 14093 Piano stool
K
kiwibd Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Originally Posted by Doug M.

Used ES8 £700-850
Used VPC1
Used P515
Used MP7SE
Used FP90

Or, if you are feeling a bit more self-rewarding, a new ES920 would be that bit nicer.

I am actually expecting to buy second-handed pianos of the models which cost around 1000 EUR when they're bought new...i.e. my budget is lower than 1000 EUR wink Thanks for the suggestions anyways!

Last edited by kiwibd; 07/27/21 06:02 PM.
K
kiwibd Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Originally Posted by clothearednincompo
The list of models for heated debate/personal anecdotes and strong (but humble) opinions could be something like:

Cabinet digital pianos
- Yamaha YDP-164
- Kawai KDP-120
- Casio Celviano AP-470
- Casio Celviano AP-270

"Compact" cabinet digital pianos
- Yamaha YDP-S54
- Casio Privia PX-870
- Korg LP-380U
- Korc C1 Air
- Casio Privia PX-770

Portable/stage pianos with speakers
- Kawai ES-520
- Roland RD-88
- Roland FP-30X
- Kawai ES-110

I don't have opinions.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I will go and do my research smile

A
A
I picked up a Roland RD 150 on eBay for about £250. Great condition. No speakers. I play it through a mixer into a stereo amp. It is very heavy but I think that will be the same for any weighted key digital piano. I’m no expert but I think it sounds and plays great. I’m fixing up a Korg SP250 to give to my son, but I’m sorely tempted to keep it.

Korg SP250, Roland RD150, Novation K-Station, Novation Bass-Station, Akai Miniak, Akai MPK Mini, Kawai K1, Roland Pro E, Yamaha DD65, Gibson Les Paul Standard, Gibson J15, Line 6 JTV59, Esp EC-256, Columbus Les Paul, Yamaha Bass, Eko Ranger 6, Stagg mandolin, Kemble upright
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Doug M.

Used ES8 £700-850
Used VPC1
Used P515
Used MP7SE
Used FP90

I am actually expecting to buy second-handed pianos of the models which cost around 1000 EUR when they're bought new...i.e. my budget is lower than 1000 EUR wink Thanks for the suggestions anyways!

Ok, so what will you stretch to?

Instruments......Kawai MP7SE.............................................(Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000)
Software..........Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand...............K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
Piano stool.......K&M 14093 Piano stool
A
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
A
My budget is under 1000 EUR, if it is possible.

The only thing I care about is the action and touch sensitivity. I don't care about other functionality at all.
I don't know how literally you mean not caring about other functionality at all, but...

If you need sound and speakers, consider the Casio PX-360.

If you need sound but don't need speakers (i.e. you can use headphones, or already have speakers you can use), also consider the Korg D1.

If you don't even need sound (i.e. you can get the sound out of your computer, iPad, whatever), also consider the Studiologic SL88 Grand.

Others worth looking at could be the Kawai ES-110, Roland FP10/FP30, and the newer Casio models. Compared to the older Casio series, the newer has more resistance toward the rear of the keys, which bothers some people but not others, and it loses the third sensor; OTOH the keys have less "bounce" to them than the previous series.

Roland FP10 (PHA-4 Action) + Pianoteq. IMO best bang for buck action and soundwise. Don't like the integrated samples though. Or FP30X + Pianoteq, if playback of Pianoteq through speakers is required (possible, as the FP30X has an audio interface).

Last edited by eddiepiano; 08/04/21 10:35 AM.

Schimmel 114 (1990)
Roland Kiyola

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission