2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
50 members (brennbaer, CyberGene, Carey, clothearednincompo, cygnusdei, chopin_r_us, Ben_NZ, Anna Helena, Alfred La Fleur, 7 invisible), 711 guests, and 403 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
OP Offline
L
I'm sure this question has been asked to death on this forum, I've searched through a lot of threads with similar information - but I still feel anxious about the choice, so I'm proceeding to ask.

I've recently emigrated to The Netherlands, I had to sell my CLP-565gp as it was too big to bring with me and I have limited space in my apartment.

I'm in the market for a compact DP with a good "grand-feel" action. The Kawai CN39, CA59 and CA79 appear to meet basically all my requirements. I, personally, find that Kawai devices sound (and look) the best, as such I'm not particularly attracted to other manufacturers. The CLP-565gp was a nice piano, but I only got it as I was unable to find a comparative Kawai in South Africa at the time.

It may be important to note, though, that I am not particularly good at playing the piano - I enjoy it a lot but I'm very far from a decent player. Therefore, I will not be able to use the full feature-set of any device, really. I also intend on playing mostly with headphones because I'm somewhat self-conscious.

I'm torn between a lower-end device due of my lack of ability but drawn to a higher-end device due to things such as improved action, sampling, user interface, etc.

Additionally, my son was born 20 days ago and I'd like to expose him to a musical instrument as soon as possible. He won't be playing it right now, obviously, but I think it would be good for him (developmentally) to hear. And in a few years, we can sit him down in front of the piano and he can experiment with it. I think it would be nice to have a digital piano which approximates an acoustic as closely as possible, for this purpose.

The differences in price don't matter too much to me, it's just the more expensive the piano the longer I will need to save for it.

I suppose I'd like to read people's perspectives on these and how they feel about their own pianos? I'm hoping this will make the choice easier.

https://www.thomann.de/nl/kawai_cn_39_b.htm
https://www.thomann.de/nl/kawai_ca_59_b.htm
https://www.thomann.de/nl/kawai_ca_79_ep.htm

H
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

From the way you describe your intended use and criteria, I'd say you'd be happy with each of these.

As you step up in models, there is a difference in keybed from 59 to 79, and at some point the sound engine gets better, I am not sure if that is the 79 or 99 in that series. And there are differences in sound systems (internal amplifiers and speakers).

To me, the 39 would lack in connections a bit for not having proper line-outs. Still, if someone gave one to me, it would make a sweet improvement keybed-wise over what I'm currently using.

About where in NL are you located? I would strongly encourage making your purchase at one of the Dutch dealers. My experiences with purchasing large instruments from Thomann haven't been very nice, in which the transporter was more at fault than Thomann themselves, yet, the net result to you as the customer is the same.

Cheers and happy decision making,

HZ

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Hello Ludicael,

Congratulations on the recent birth of your son!

Here is a side-by-side comparison of the specifications for the three instruments under consideration:

https://www.kawai-global.com/product_comparison/detail.php?n=ca79,ca59,cn39&ct=36

I generally recommend that customers purchase the best piano that they can (comfortably) afford, however I believe it's important to play-test and at least see/hear the instruments in purchase before making a decision.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
Originally Posted by HZPiano
To me, the 39 would lack in connections a bit for not having proper line-outs. Still, if someone gave one to me, it would make a sweet improvement keybed-wise over what I'm currently using.

Please note that the CN39 shares many of the connectivity options of the CA59 and CA79, including both Line In/Line Out connectors, as well as Bluetooth MIDI and Audio.

However, the CN39 is (perhaps crucially) not compatible with the PianoRemote app.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
H
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

@Kawai James, Thank you for your replies and corrections!

I now see that I overlooked that @Ludicael mentioned the CN39, while I incorrectly jumped to the assumption that he/she was looking at the 'lower' three models in the CA line.

So my remark about the line outs of the CN39 is off(!) as well, however, am I correct that the CA49 (which was on my mind instead) indeed does lack proper line outs? I would love to hear otherwise, of course.

Thank you!

Cheers and happy fact checking,

HZ

H
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

@Ludicael, please note that I made two wrong assumptions in my initial answer, as @Kawai James has addressed.

I didn't recognize you speaking of the CN39 together with two CA models -- so answered as if we were speaking of three CA models instead.

In my mind, the difference between actions in the CN and CA lines is rather significant, please be aware of that in your comparisons.

Cheers and happy further research,

HZ

L
OP Offline
L
Thank you @Kawai James you have been very helpful! I did not know that the CN39 was not compatible with the Piano Remote App - as such I will focus on the CA59 & CA79.

@HZPiano - Thank you! You are correct I think, as far as I am aware, the CA49 does lack line-out.

I'm located near Utrecht, so I'll try find a local dealer in the area. Alternatively, I see there are a number of dealers within The Netherlands but just a bit further away.

Between the CA59 and CA79 - which is most likely to be relevant for the longest time? I suspect it's probably the CA79, it does have more features and such so I probably just answered my own question. I must say that I really, really like the PB colour of the CA79. Not such a fan of the "standard black" colours, myself. That being said, the CA99 in Standard Black is only a little more expensive than the CA79 in PB. So... maybe I should include the SB version of the CA99 in my search?

I think the only difference between the CA79 and CA99 is the addition of the spruce sound board and soft fall key cover? Not sure if that's worth the extra expense to me, though.

L
OP Offline
L
Does anyone happen to be aware of any dealers in Utrecht / Amsterdam / Den Haag / Rotterdam with the full lineup? It would help to see all the options in the same place. I'm still new here so I don't really know where to go.

M
M
Van Kerkwijk, Amstelveen. When I was there couple of months ago they had all the Kawai pianos in the showroom.

H
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

Originally Posted by mziel
Van Kerkwijk, Amstelveen. When I was there couple of months ago they had all the Kawai pianos in the showroom.

Yes, I'd recommend Van Kerkwijk as well.

Also, Emile van Leenen in Leiden is said to be a good address as well; I have not been there myself yet.

A third option: Oostendorp in Wezep.

Cheers and happy decision making,

HZ

_
_
> Between the CA59 and CA79

The CA79 has grand-long key pivot, while the CA59 like an upright. Both have wooden digital actions though, while the NV series have acoustic-like key actions. And the CN series has plastic digital action. However, you should try them in person to see what differences you notice and how much they matter to you subjectively, the CN are quite decent already. Regarding the sound, you are most likely to spot differences between the speakers. Maybe also that the better sound engines have longer samples and more "velocity layers".

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Best piano under 3600$ / 3000€
by PaJaC - 09/21/21 02:11 AM
FP-90 volume problems
by choppin - 09/20/21 10:15 PM
Pictures at an Exhibition: Yuking Chou Brandenburgh
by FrankCox - 09/20/21 08:16 PM
Roland FP30 Headphone/Line out hiss?
by Raf702 - 09/20/21 06:56 PM
Keybeds Korg SV2 vs D1
by David Izquierdo - 09/20/21 06:07 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,216
Posts3,133,886
Members102,783
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission