2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
77 members (anotherscott, alexii, 36251, boo1234, accordeur, Abdol, Alfred La Fleur, Beansparrow, 18 invisible), 1,103 guests, and 385 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#3142643 08/02/21 10:30 AM
L
Leo79 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I am looking to buy C3x piano but I am not able to discover good price from local dealers in DC/Baltimore area. Does anyone know what the going price is for C3X in today's market? I tried to apply MSRP/SMP discount formula but dealer's price seems way off from that. May be pandemic has something to do with it or dealer is taking advantage of the buyer's mind that with pandemic nothing is available and prices are higher. Can anyone share their recent purchase experience?

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
What are you being quoted?
Is the quoted price over the phone/via email, or based on in person negotiation?
Does that price include tax, moving, and other extras?

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
L
Leo79 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
$44K + 6% tax + delivery. Negotiation was done in person.

B
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
B
I'll send you a PM with my recent experience.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Hmm…that does seem on the stingy end of the discount range by a bit.

Are you stuck on the C3x? $40k should buy you a range of nice, new 6 foot grands from other makers (see the Piano Buyer pricing database tool).

Alternatively, shop some out of market dealers. Or call back your salesperson at the local market dealer and make one more offer (now that you’ve made contact and are therefore “not kicking tires”).

Finally there’s the used piano market, which is admittedly a little odd right now, and the C3x is new enough as a model that you’re unlikely to find one easily…but lots of older C3 models.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Pardon my ignorance, but what does "out of market dealers" mean? Non-local?

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
L
Leo79 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I checked few other brands and models but C3x is what I liked the most. In the used market, I did come across some G2s from late 70s to early 80s but no C3s. I dont want to buy something thats older than me but would surely consider used from local market if there is one available.

I called up some dealers out of my local area but they would not give me price over the phone. I guess they dont want to be shopped on phone. If I make a trip over to their location 150-200 miles away they might consider me serious. Once I know what to expect, I can make that trip

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Yes, ShiroKuro.

Distributors/manufacturers typically, but not always, grant dealers a specific market or territory in which they are the exclusive seller for a brand in that area. It is generally frowned upon (or worse) for a dealer to actively try to sell pianos outside their territory-- and especially in the territory of another dealer for their brand-- unless the customer has physically come into the out-of-market dealer's store (since the customer is free to buy wherever they wish, since they're obviously not bound by a dealer agreement).

Last edited by terminaldegree; 08/02/21 12:57 PM.

P
P
I recently tried a C3X at the Yamaha Piano Center in Copenhagen/Denmark.
If I was going for a grand, this would be my choice. It was almost prefect for my taste.

I can see there is a huge price difference between Europe and US.
Over here the retail price including 25% tax is $34.6K. That means price before tax is $27.7K
That is less than half of MSRP in US.

( https://www.yamahapianocenter.dk/flygel/akustisk-flygel/cx-serien/c3x/ )

Yamaha M5J -> Bechstein A124
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
TD, thanks for that explanation! So it's not just "local" but also brand-specific. Got it.

Leo79, as much as it's a pain in the rear to have to drive all over the place, nothing beats an in-person visit. Make a day of it, find somewhere interesting for lunch etc.

That's what we did when I was piano shopping. It mostly worked out ok except for the times when we had lunch before going to the dealers, and then sometimes my husband would fall asleep in the dealers while I tested out their pianos.... That was kind of embarrassing!! whome

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Typical price for C7X in Australia is 30% off rrp, which is about AU$59k. This converts to about US$44k, without the 6% tax. Of course, the currency conversion is not entirely relevant as they are different markets. But usually US prices are significantly lower than AU prices for most things. It seems to me you are being charged a C7X price for only a C3X?

L
Leo79 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Looking at polyfon(Denmark) and Sonepica's (Australia) reposnse and from other old messages on this forum, I am getting impression that the right price for new C3X should be ~27-28K + tax. I confirmed the $26K USD/ $35K in singapore dollars price on singapore piano wesite (https://www.singaporepianohub.com/yamaha-c3x) as well and one of UK website 31K USD/22K pounds (https://www.broughtonpianos.co.uk/yamaha-c3x-grand-piano) as well.

Only problem that remains is to find a US dealer preferably in the that is willing to trade at that price. If I cant find one, may be I should consider becoming a dealer myself as making 15K per piano appears to be a lucrative business :-).

Last edited by Leo79; 08/02/21 02:28 PM.
N
N
I don't know what's the current inventory situation right now but that quote is HIGH.

Last time I heard there is shortage and this will drive the price up just like cars but recently I also heard that the ports have opened up and Yamaha piano parts and supplies are getting stocked now.

Negotiate harder and yeah look for neighboring dealership around you. I got mine quite a distance away from my location and saved literally thousands.

Yamaha C3X SH <=Yamaha C3 PE <= Yamaha AvantGrand N2 <= Yamaha CLP-645 <= Yamaha P-140s
M
M
I recently tried a new c3X at Downtown Piano Works in Frederick MD and I believe the price was much lower than what you have seen elsewhere. I highly recommend you contact them. It is a very nice piano and a great shop.

L
Leo79 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Thanks MusterMark, I will check them out. Its not too far from where I am.

T
T
Originally Posted by Leo79
I am looking to buy C3x piano but I am not able to discover good price from local dealers in DC/Baltimore area. Does anyone know what the going price is for C3X in today's market? I tried to apply MSRP/SMP discount formula but dealer's price seems way off from that. May be pandemic has something to do with it or dealer is taking advantage of the buyer's mind that with pandemic nothing is available and prices are higher. Can anyone share their recent purchase experience?

I just sold my 3-year old C3X-TA for $25k to a local buyer. He said the similar item at a local dealer was priced at $35k.

Bösendorfer 214VC Enspire Pro
L
Leo79 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Teleri, do you know which dealer this person was referring to? Also, was he referring to old or new C3X at dealer? C3X-TA is more expensive then just C3X, so I am assuming if this person was talking about C3X-TA at dealer then the same dealer may have better pricing on the vanilla C3X.

M
M
Leo79, I will send you a PM.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
What's the difference between a C3X and a C3X-TA?

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
L
Leo79 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
It’s called transacoustic version. Basically you can play digital sounds on acoustic piano by using sound board as amplifier

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical_instruments/pianos/transacoustic/index.html

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Learning and strong emotions...
by CianistAndPomposer - 09/16/21 06:21 PM
Gift Piano from Elton John?
by JohnSprung - 09/16/21 04:54 PM
Kawai ES520 user's own thread
by 36251 - 09/16/21 04:11 PM
For those who love Martha Argerich...
by AaronSF - 09/16/21 03:17 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,142
Posts3,132,721
Members102,747
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission