2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
29 members (crab89, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, Fried Chicken, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, 9 invisible), 1,250 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
bevan Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Hi All
I have several Bluthner patent pianos to restore including hammer head replacement. Abel's Bluthner Patent hammers are heavier than the originals so I may also need to re-weight the keys, hence if anyone can piint me towards some guidance here that would be much appreciated.
Bevan

E
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
Greetings,
I would advise against weighting keys to compensate for heavier than original hammers in this particular piano. The patent action isn't made to feel like a modern one, and hammers can be had that are closer to the original.
regards,

E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
I agree with Ed above. Find a way to get hammers that can be shaped to match the originals in weight and felt density.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Blüthner has not made the patent action in about a hundred years. Nobody knows exactly what the hammers originally weighed, nor what the action originally felt like. What is the point of trying to be "authentic"? Will people pay more for the pianos if the hammers weigh a fraction of a gram more or less? You have to decide how much time and money you want to put into these pianos.

Semipro Tech
F
F
Four thirds is a fraction. I think someone would notice.

In other words, the setup of the action gives some clues to what was there originally, and needing to add a bunch of weight to the fronts of the keys indicates that the change in hammer weight is not trivial.

Floyd G RPT
www.floydgadd.com
J
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
J
Best bet is to contact Blüthner themselves. Since there are so many patent grands in the UK, the London showroom ends up commissioning many restorations of this action, and Piano Restorations Ltd carry out the work, so you could contact them directly. I know that they take weight off the hammers in these restorations. They aren't going for an "authentic" feel in the way of trying to recreate the 1920s, but they're aiming to get the piano to function so that the action is light and the repetition functions properly.

www.bluthner.co.uk, and I don't know the web address for Piano Restorations Ltd but you can find them easily through Facebook, Instagram, etc.

YAMAHA Artist
N
N W Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
That lovely old Bluthner action has some odd set up details. Like zero set off for instance. Great action if you like them light. I have restored several of varying sizes over the years. Most of them had the original hammers on. Abel made a set or two for me from original patterns. There's lots to take care of, for instance the way the hammers are centred.
Lovely old pianos and can be fabulous when done.
Nick

Nick, ageing piano technician
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
I only have only one Patent action under my belt, an 1872.
The action was light, nimble, subtle, and positive.
The hammers were very light and soft, hammer #1 weighing just over 7 grams.
Ray Negron pressed me a set of Bacon felt hammers in his spinet cauls.
They fell right into the original weight curve and the Bacon felt softness was ideal.
I think that too heavy of a hammer would really cripple these actions.

Alternatively, someone here has had a set of original Bluthner hammers recovered by Desfougeres.
He expressed clear satisfaction, and I would think that this too would stay within mass limits.

Craig Hair
Hampshire Piano
Chesterfield, MA
Conservative Piano Restoration
Watch us on YouTube

I've learned better than to shout,"Eureka!"
J
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by N W
That lovely old Bluthner action has some odd set up details. Like zero set off for instance. Great action if you like them light. I have restored several of varying sizes over the years. Most of them had the original hammers on. Abel made a set or two for me from original patterns. There's lots to take care of, for instance the way the hammers are centred.
Lovely old pianos and can be fabulous when done.
Nick

They are EXTREMELY light when done properly aren't they! I rather like that about them. Many pianists and technicians say that these actions don't repeat properly but if the touch weight is kept light then the repetition is no problem at all. I practiced Rachmaninoff 3 on one and the last movement was no problem.

I know a few pianists who are used to the heavier modern actions and they say that when they play a Blüthner patent, their solution is to sit a bit higher and to keep their hands more out of the keyboard, because the repetition point is higher up the key travel.

YAMAHA Artist
N
N W Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
Lots of organists seem to like them for the light action.
I love them for the sound too, clarity and delicacy, real musicality.
Nick

Nick, ageing piano technician
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Craig Hair
Alternatively, someone here has had a set of original Bluthner hammers recovered by Desfougeres.
He expressed clear satisfaction, and I would think that this too would stay within mass limits.

That was me.

Interesting thread, thank you all.

J
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by N W
Lots of organists seem to like them for the light action.
I love them for the sound too, clarity and delicacy, real musicality.
Nick

Yes you can get an extremely well controlled pianissimo on it probably because there's always that feeling of being in touch with the jack, or at least in touch with it for much longer than on a double escapement action.

YAMAHA Artist

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission