2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (36251, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, 10 invisible), 1,434 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 18 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 17 18
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Relying on advertising for information is not likely to give you all sides of a discussion.

Semipro Tech
H
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
H
This is what Kawai says about V-pro plate:

"V-pro Plate
The plate is the acoustically-neutral iron superstructure of the piano over which the strings are tensioned. All GL Series plates are molded using the Vacuum Mold Process (V-Pro) with “Crossbone Design.” The result is a plate that is strong, stable and beautiful."

Link to relevant Kawai webpage:
https://www.kawai-global.com/product/gl-10/

H
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
H
Here is what Estonia Pianos is saying about their plates:

"Our iron plates come from Finland, and are made the old-fashioned, European way.

In order to qarantee the right quality, they are sand-cast, seasoned, and only the best plates pass the final selection. We have one year of iron plates in our inventory, and only the best would be selected. It takes modern machinery to make even the rough surfaces and prepare for our mirror-like polish finishes,, at which our craftsmen show their experience. We continue to test them, to make sure that they do not interfere with the piano sound but are there to support the structure. Shiny, smooth, and even, they have received a lot of praise at international music trade shows, and are considered among the best from Europe."

Link to relevant Estonia Pianos webpage:
http://www.estoniapiano.com/craftsmanship.html

H
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
H
Here is what Boston Pianos is saying about their Vacuum cast plate:

"Every single piece of the piano vibrates while being played —except the plate, which is dedicated to a single function: ensuring total stability. Thanks to STEINWAY & SONS’ design expertise, based on its long history of research and innovation, this cast iron plate can withstand the nearly 20 tons of string tension created by the 220-plus individual strings."

Link to relevant Boston Pianos webpage:
https://www.bostonpianos.com/pianos/boston/grand#b0127775-30e7-4b13-a014-46266c6a3c27

H
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
H
Here is the info for sand cast plates used in Essex grand pianos

"Designed by STEINWAY & SONS, the plate is cast from gray iron and over engineered to provide strength to support 20 tons of string tension. Long-fiber cast iron creates a very dense plate, which does not absorb energy and yields a fuller tone."

Link to relevant webpage:
https://www.bostonpianos.com/pianos/essex/grand/egp-155#82118b76-7607-41b9-9894-e0cc9aad510e

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Yamaha makes its own frames, relying on a method of casting referred to as the “vacuum process,” developed over many years to create some of the best piano frames in the world. During this time we have built up a storehouse of knowledge on factors such as the manner in which controlling the temperature and composition of casting, and even the coating used on the frame itself, affects the acoustic characteristics of the piano.

I think the bold text has content that applies whether negative pressure (vacuum) or wetting the sand is used to hold the molded sand in place.

When molten iron comes in contact with water in wet sand, tiny steam explosions will take place, causing small deformations in the sand. This leads to a less precise casting, requiring more manual work to finish the plate and more manual work in fabricating wooden case parts.

This creates a tradeoff of fixed cost of tooling to automate case fabrication vs variable cost of manual work with a less precise plate.

I have never heard an argument vy a piano dealer that wet sand plates produced today are superior to those produced 100 years ago despite a vast accumulation of knowledge in materials and metallurgy over the time period. If piano tone was as sensitive to plate fabrication as claimed by some, it seems unlikely that 100 year old plates could compete with either v-pro or wet sand plates made today, but that is not the argument being made-- maybe vecause it would validate v-pro plates, or maybe because it..does..not..matter.

Reading Piano World with Javascript turned off (no logins, no ads, fast response times). I will receive PMs.
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Hakki
Here is the info for sand cast plates used in Essex grand pianos

"Designed by STEINWAY & SONS, the plate is cast from gray iron and over engineered to provide strength to support 20 tons of string tension. Long-fiber cast iron creates a very dense plate, which does not absorb energy and yields a fuller tone."

Link to relevant webpage:
https://www.bostonpianos.com/pianos/essex/grand/egp-155#82118b76-7607-41b9-9894-e0cc9aad510e

Does it say that v-pro plates are not overengineered using long-fiber cast grey iron? Be careful not to read more into the text than the literal interpretation. My take is that Essex pianos use cheaper labor to control cost instead of the automation used for Boston pianos, which are a higher line of Steinway product.

Last edited by Sweelinck; 07/28/21 03:58 PM.

Reading Piano World with Javascript turned off (no logins, no ads, fast response times). I will receive PMs.
P
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
P
All cast iron plates are vastly over engineered for the modest stress they're under. David Rubenstein uses a CNC water jet cut welded steel plate (probably because it's easier to make than a large casting). If a plate really made any difference (it doesn't) then something far more exotic would have been developed rather than the cheapest crudest casting material: cast iron.

It would be interesting to have a plate made out of Invar, for example, as this wouldn't change dimension with temperature. But since no-one has ever done this, it obviously is not important. Marketing people speak in hushed tones about old World craftsmanship - the only reason they used sand cast plates in the first place is that's the only technology that was available for such a large piece. Since it worked well enough, it's still in use today. Manufacturers could easily make forged iron plates - but they don't because it's not worth the expense for such a component that really has no impact on the sound of a piano - and - before anyone says "what about the V bar" - that's a finishing detail, not a fundamental aspect of the fabrication technology.

Being mindful of my place here as a very new member and with great respect to those contributing to this discussion, it seems as if this issue is one in which an agreement to disagree is the only conceivable outcome. There have been strong arguments and conclusions by very knowledgeable individuals on both "sides" of the issue.

As I have been following this discussion (which I really have no opinion on), the only thing I'm convinced of is that this will be a topic of debate for a very, very long time! smile

2021 Yamaha U1
2021 Yamaha P-515

1993 Roland KR-4500 (1993-2021)
1965 Baldwin Acrosonic (1966-1993)
S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
KS
You’re right—- but you’ll find out there is seldom ‘to agree to disagree’ around here

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by dogperson
agree to disagree

I don't agree to that!

B
BDB Offline
B
Well, then, you can disagree to agree!

Semipro Tech
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Sonepica you have one of the very best models Yamaha manufacturer.I would not bother at all about how the iron plate is made.It is a Performance grade semi concert grand.You are one of those who can own such a piano!

.How lucky (blessed) you are! Please do not waste time and energy on this totally unnecessary detail! Yamaha makes great pianos and EVERYONE knows that.

R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by Ed McMorrow, RPT
Don is correct I have never visited a V-process foundry. I have visited a wet sand foundry.

I do have extensive experience machining and filing piano castings, probably more than any other technician since I pioneered reshaping V-bars to a true V-shape around 1977. Feeling how cutting tools interacts with a material give insight no book "learnin" can give.

Don is either ignorant or eliding the significance and variability of the practice of the post casting case hardening methods often applied to the V-bar feature by some piano makers. A very slight difference in case hardening level has a profound affect on tone, tunability and string longevity. This is a powerful indicator that metal hardness of the plate is very significant. It is a significant reason some pianos sound so much worse than others in the same production run.

I have studied the material science regarding this issue and have as a regular visitor to my shop the recently retired chief material scientist of the Boeing company. I have discussed the issues of the metals used in pianos at great length and nothing I have said here is outside the science. My friend has taken samples to the Boeing test lab to help me.

I also suggest to you all that you investigate the significance of longitudinal modes and how the nature of the plate metal and termination points affect their ability to be propagated and coupled to the "normal" transverse modes.

I also urge you to consider how the abrasive nature of a string bearing point affects the behavior and durability of piano wire. Consider that the bulk of the strength in piano wire is in the skin. Just nick the surface of piano wire and slightly bend it at that point a few times and it will break. It is important that the deformation the termination point imposes on the wire does not reduce the break point to the elastic limit of the undeformed wire.

It may well be possible to make a V-process plate that performs as well or even superior to a wet sand cast plate.

But so far my experience with plates that are V-process is they have tone and string durability issues. The same thing can be said about wet sand plates that have highly case hardened U-shaped V-bars.

You can also feel the problem in the way the strings render when tuning. They "stick" to the V-bar and even "ping" when they finally move when tuning.

Folks, I gotta tell you most all piano made or being made have less than ideal string terminations on the plate. The problems extends to agraffe string hole shape as well. In my view this is gross negligence. I have been practicing and preaching this for decades, anybody listening? Anybody care? Or is piano making one big idiotic artsy fartsy fraud.

I don't want to put word's into Ed's mouth, and Ed, please correct me if what I am saying is incorrect. Having said that, it strikes me that Ed is saying the the V-pro frames are inferior because of the metal at the v-bar is often too hard and not lubricious enough. If that is the case, then such frames could be improved by having, for example, a brass insert at the apex of the v-bar, where the bar contacts the strings. The insert could be accurately shaped before insertion into the plate and therefore could potentially provide a superior and consistent contact area. ...just a passing thought.

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
...before anyone says "what about the V bar" - that's a finishing detail, not a fundamental aspect of the fabrication technology.
Actually, I'd love to hear the scientific basis for a hardened capo d'astro bar contributing to string breakage. I would expect hardened metal to be harder to work with during the finishing stage of plate fabrication, but once a smooth surface was obtained, I would expect a harder metal to maintain the smoothness of the surface better and longer than a less hardened metal.

Moreover, case hardening is a process applied after casting. It could be used with either wet sand plates or v-pro plates. If it is known to contribute to string breakage, why wouldn't Yamaha and Kawai drop the process?

Is a scientific explanation or empirical data available to justify or validate the string breakage claim?

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Sweelinck
Is a scientific explanation or empirical data available to justify or validate the string breakage claim?

Well I've had my Yamaha S7X about 3 months or so, and already all of the treble strings above C6 have snapped clean off! It doesn't bother me that much as I don't really use that part of the piano anyway. The bass strings are intact, which is the main thing.

Last edited by Sonepica; 07/28/21 08:19 PM.
j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sonepica
Originally Posted by Sweelinck

Well I've had my Yamaha S7X about 3 months or so, and already all of the treble strings above C6 have snapped clean off! It doesn't bother me that much as I don't really use that part of the piano anyway. The bass strings are intact, which is the main thing.

I still can’t tell when you’re kidding.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sonepica
Originally Posted by Ed McMorrow, RPT
Or is piano making one big idiotic artsy fartsy fraud.

I'm not sure that Yamaha and Kawai owners are experiencing a problem with frequent breaking of treble strings. Are you sure you're not getting carried away?
From what I have heard this is completely false.,And yes I am sure Sonepica is joking about strings snapping in the upper treble.

My piano's voice is my voice to God and the great unknown universe, and to those I love.
In other words a hymn. That is all, but that is enough. tre corda

E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
BDB, If paper clips are using high carbon steel, they are wasting a lot of money.

And yes, it is the annealing process that determines much about the form carbon takes in an iron alloy.

The pianos with hard V-bars show the fastest deterioration if they are tuned often. It is the tuning more than the playing that fatigues the wire. You can remove a wire that has been in service on a hard capo for a few years and see with a microscope that the flat spot at the V-bar is scraped away as well at the normal area of slight crushing from round being bent across the V-bar produces.

You can do the BP numbers on your O, (I seem to remember you have an O and M&H AA at home), across the agraffe to capo break.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
Page 7 of 18 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 17 18

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,193
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission