2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
58 members (anotherscott, accordeur, Ben_NZ, bwv872, adamcz, Chris Pringle, brdwyguy, 10 invisible), 1,466 guests, and 399 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3141097 07/27/21 09:45 PM
J
OP Offline
J
Hi guys,

I’m researching pianos and it’s still very much wide open at this point. I’ve been considering a U3 but I’m wondering what are some comparable (in terms of quality) uprights to try out? I’m aware of the K500 and that’s also on my list to try.

Can you tell me about other comparable uprights, especially ones with a MELLOWer, WARMer tone and nice bass?

Also I love that the U3 has the practice pedal that kicks left to lock it in, I see myself using that function quite a lot, so I’m curious if other uprights have this (or can it be installed)?

Thanks!!

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
If you're planning to purchase new, definitely given Hailun a look. They are good quality pianos and about half the price of Yamaha. It would probably to true to say that Hailun has a mellower tone than Yamaha.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Most non-institutional modern uprights have a practice pedal. It works acceptably well, so long as it’s properly adjusted and the felt isn’t too thick—definitely worth checking when you inspect a piano if you think you will use this feature. The ones with too thick a practice mute tend to brush adjacent strings and make the sound messy, but quiet.

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
W
W
check out the Charles Walter uprights. they are only 43-45 inches tall, but don't let that fool you, they have exceptional build quality and the way they are engineered they have longer strings than the U3. the tone tends to be on on the warmer, richer side. not sure if you can still buy one new (I heard rumors they might be out of production?), but there are many used in the wild. definitely worth looking in to

the right tech can install a mute rail in most any upright

J
J
In my experience with W. Hoffmann vision and traditional line, they have warm tone and have great touch; which you can consider. Ensure to try out more.

J
OP Offline
J
Thanks for the suggestions so far guys. In summary of your recommendations, I’ll check out:

1) Hailun
2) Charles Walter
3) W. Hoffman

Please keep em coming and let me know of other warm/mellow brands/models to try. Thanks again!

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
The vast majority of 52" uprights I've tried aren't voiced mellow from their factories, to be honest.
Also, some (not all) 52"+ can start to exhibit issues with staying tonally balanced from top to bottom as the bass registers become more voluminous. For example, I've liked more of the 50" HU-5P Hailun verticals than the 52" HU-7 (full disclosure: only played a couple of the tallest model).
The Charles Walter is a very nice piano that punches above its weight, but I it's more comparable in performance to the 48" size class than larger sizes (of good quality, anyway); they were planning a larger upright model that never ended up being produced.
Have not spent more than 15 minutes playing Hoffman verticals, but we did have a well-qualified professional reviewer look at them recently:
https://www.pianobuyer.com/article/w-hoffmann-pianos-enticing-alternatives-in-the-mid-level-market/

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Depends on how much price enters in. Bluethner uprights have a lot of potential-- I heard a small one in the US that was quite good, and I'd be very interested in the medium/large ones.

Bechstein isn't warm and mellow, necessarily, but does have a beautiful glow about the sound. Academy line is really pretty good (124), Concert line much better (124, 8).

Grotrian is another that has a deep tenor range and a very clear, lovely bass. Not just in the largest model.

J
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by Maestro Lennie
Depends on how much price enters in. Bluethner uprights have a lot of potential-- I heard a small one in the US that was quite good, and I'd be very interested in the medium/large ones.

Bechstein isn't warm and mellow, necessarily, but does have a beautiful glow about the sound. Academy line is really pretty good (124), Concert line much better (124, 8).

Grotrian is another that has a deep tenor range and a very clear, lovely bass. Not just in the largest model.

Thanks, to my knowledge these are higher-end brands and more expensive as such. Although I’m not ruling anything out yet, I was thinking something more in the realm of a U3 price-wise, give or take a little (just maybe not like, twice the price of a U3 or something). However that being said, I wouldn’t be opposed to stretching the budget a little for the piano that just resonates with me. I think it would be worth me at least poay9jg those models you mentioned regardless, to get a feel for them. Cheers.

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Clueless parent
by missbelle - 09/26/21 09:16 PM
Cannon in D Question
by KimbraLaLa - 09/26/21 07:55 PM
Kawai PN100 Digital Piano
by ZDAVE - 09/26/21 05:44 PM
Question about technique
by ItoM_ - 09/26/21 03:37 PM
Mushy Bass Notes - Problem or too much Pedal
by brdwyguy - 09/26/21 02:10 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Our Free Newsletter for Piano Lovers!
The summer edition of our free newsletter
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,303
Posts3,135,374
Members102,827
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission