2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
62 members (ChrisMH, Andrew E., accordeur, bsalad, Bill McKaig,RPT, chen, cschuh1, 11 invisible), 670 guests, and 460 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3140873 07/27/21 06:24 AM
C
Cono Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Hi everyone,

I am interested in C6X or C7X, but not sure which is the price that I would offer to the local dealer?

I am looking forward to your help on this!

Thank you!!!

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Where are you located? Has the dealer quoted you prices yet?

If you are in the U.S. you can read the Piano Buyer(see free link in left column) to find the SMP for those models and get a ballpark figure for a selling price. To use the SMP correctly you must read the article that explains it.

j&j Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Have you played both pianos? If it were me, I’d play both with full repertoire. Figure out which one you really wanna go for. Get the posted price and figure out where the posted price compares to SMP from the PianoBuyers guide that Pianoloverus mentioned. Then make a reasonable offer and present it to the dealer. There might be a bit of haggling.

This is the post-COVID world. If the dealer actually has these models in stock the dealer can sell them with very little off the posted price.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
The reason I’m old and wise is because God protected me when I was young and stupid.
[Linked Image]
P
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
P
Piano prices are always subject to negotiation. If you are looking at new, and are truly a serious buyer, simply offer a price 20-30% lower than what is shown and see what happens. They will counter. This will continue until you reach an agreement.

However if you truly cannot afford new then you should be looking at used. Same idea, just a little more complicated.

Dealers need to make a profit, otherwise they eventually fold. How much profit depends on numerous factors. If a buyer denies the seller of profit, it will not be a good long term relationship. You want the dealer (If a good one) to take care of all your legitimate needs, and do it well. We recently had an example on this forum of what being a good dealer really means.

Getting the lowest possible price is not what it's all about. It's about human relations.

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
www.seacoastpianodoctor.com
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK0T7_I_nV8
J
J
Consider giving your local dealer a call or email. Thus, no more guessing or research work.

j&j Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Many dealers only reveal the price with an appointment to try the pianos.

J & J
The reason I’m old and wise is because God protected me when I was young and stupid.
[Linked Image]
P
P
You can find on internet prices of other sellers, just to have an idea..

Music, i feel must be emotional first and intellectual second
Valentina Lombardo Pianist
j&j #3140938 07/27/21 11:22 AM
J
J
Originally Posted by j&j
Many dealers only reveal the price with an appointment to try the pianos.

Noted. For sharing that my local Yamaha, Kawai and S&S released when i contacted them.

Last edited by Jojovan; 07/27/21 11:22 AM.
J
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
J
In my opinion you would do well to build a relationship with a local dealer, someone who you can trust to appoint someone to look after the piano after it has been delivered, who will give you good service and be quick to honour any unlikely warranty issues that may crop up. Consider what you want to be included in the price and what kind of service you want after. If you want the best service, you're not going to get the cheapest price, and if you want the cheapest price, you'll probably not get the best service. You want to remain friends with your piano dealer, really.

Whether you go for a C6X or a C7X will probably just be a matter of preference on the individual piano. Some classical players find the C6X more balanced for that kind of repertoire, and some more pop-oriented or jazz players prefer the C7X, but honestly either piano can be voiced to suit either repertoire - within reason of course, you're not going to make either sound like a piano that isn't a Yamaha, the inherent tone qualities will remain in the piano but voicing can highlight different aspects of that tone quality and give a softer or brighter tone. Maybe you know all this already in which case I apologise. The extra 6 inches of the C7 gives an improved presence in the bass if that's what you're after, and the size difference doesn't really make that much of a difference in the room unless you're pushed for space anyway.

Enjoy choosing your piano. I'm still not that familiar with the American price structure for Yamaha pianos, which works quite differently to how it does in Europe. It's not quite as territorial in the UK. In America it seems that a dealer isn't expected to sell to a customer in another Yamaha dealer's territory, but for example in London and its surrounding area I could name quite a few dealers who sell the same models of piano.

YAMAHA Artist
J
J
Originally Posted by Joseph Fleetwood
In my opinion you would do well to build a relationship with a local dealer, someone who you can trust to appoint someone to look after the piano after it has been delivered, who will give you good service and be quick to honour any unlikely warranty issues that may crop up. Consider what you want to be included in the price and what kind of service you want after. If you want the best service, you're not going to get the cheapest price, and if you want the cheapest price, you'll probably not get the best service. You want to remain friends with your piano dealer, really.

Whether you go for a C6X or a C7X will probably just be a matter of preference on the individual piano. Some classical players find the C6X more balanced for that kind of repertoire, and some more pop-oriented or jazz players prefer the C7X, but honestly either piano can be voiced to suit either repertoire - within reason of course, you're not going to make either sound like a piano that isn't a Yamaha, the inherent tone qualities will remain in the piano but voicing can highlight different aspects of that tone quality and give a softer or brighter tone. Maybe you know all this already in which case I apologise. The extra 6 inches of the C7 gives an improved presence in the bass if that's what you're after, and the size difference doesn't really make that much of a difference in the room unless you're pushed for space anyway.

Enjoy choosing your piano. I'm still not that familiar with the American price structure for Yamaha pianos, which works quite differently to how it does in Europe. It's not quite as territorial in the UK. In America it seems that a dealer isn't expected to sell to a customer in another Yamaha dealer's territory, but for example in London and its surrounding area I could name quite a few dealers who sell the same models of piano.

I totally agree Joseph that building a good relationship is important.
Wish to share that when i was struggling with deciding on two models (of the same brand but different class), a particular dealer shared that model X and model Y are differece only by a small sum of money which make model X (higher class) more worth it in his/her opionion which i agree and felt thankful for the "tips"

Online Content
Originally Posted by P W Grey
Piano prices are always subject to negotiation. If you are looking at new, and are truly a serious buyer, simply offer a price 20-30% lower than what is shown and see what happens.
This would be a good offer if the price "shown" is the SMP. If not, it could be a horrible deal for the buyer.

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
In Australia, I was quoted a price which is 30% of the RRP for the C7X.

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
*30% off

Online Content
Originally Posted by Sonepica
In Australia, I was quoted a price which is 30% of the RRP for the C7X.
In the U.S. that would be 22% off SMP.

M
M
Where are all these relationship-worthy dealers hiding out?

J
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by mcontraveos

Well, there are a few on this forum! Rich Galassini, Sally Phillips, Sam Bennett and others.

YAMAHA Artist
M
M
That's true, those folks are great. Wish we had had some in my area.

j&j Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Joseph Fleetwood
Originally Posted by mcontraveos

Well, there are a few on this forum! Rich Galassini, Sally Phillips, Sam Bennett and others.

Just my humble opinion here, but the piano enthusiasts and participating dealers on the PianoWorld Forums are somewhat of a rarefied group. For the vast majority of people buying pianos, it’s a “one and done” event. Most people don’t spend months to years piano shopping. My piano dealer knows me by sight because I bought 3 new pianos at that location (the first was from Yamaha Corporation directly).

For the majority of people buying a new piano, checking business references and making personal shopping appointments is the best way to find a good dealer and also gives them the best opportunity to try different pianos.

Best Wishes on the OPs choice and shopping experience!

J & J
[Linked Image]
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
My piano dealer friend was "hiding out" on the sales floor of the piano dealership, where she had worked for years; the one who carried the make whose sound I had determined I liked. It turned out that they were the authorized dealership, which I came to realize later was significant. And she gave me her best piano technician, who takes care of my piano to this day; another craftsperson (and serious student of the piano) who was "hiding out" on http://PTG.org the Piano Technicians Guild website.

It reminds me of the descriptions of Brahman: "Nothing could be more personal and intimate, and yet nothing could be more public."

On the other hand, maybe it was actually the other way around, and I was the customer for whom they had been looking and hoping. I couldn't say for sure; I just work here. I gave her a price she thought was good and so did I. Where I come from, we're taught that a deal is good only if both parties to it benefit. Tech, after some months had gone by, spent some hours going through the piano and adjusting some small issues (which, all the same, took some effort and skill), and it played like a sports car.

How long has it been now, ten years or a little more. It's time to do it again. He's blocked out four hours for me. I admit to being spoiled, but I have worked hard to try to deserve it. Be that as it may, there is some serious love which has gathered around the dark and yet shining form of this musical instrument. I feel it every time my glance falls on it.

mcontraveos, I have no idea where you are, but if you want to find something, there is nothing like looking for it--- and it sounds to me like maybe you already are. I would say that things usually fall open a piece at a time, as you are ready for them or as you need them. (They also go away by a similar process.) Besides all that, it's worth keeping in mind that there is a difference in having a relationship with a friend, in a purely social sense, and having a friendly business or professional relationship.

Clef

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai VPC-1 or Roland A88 MKII (or FP30X)?
by detektorosradio - 12/08/21 06:03 PM
Birdcage Piano Tuner needed in Virginia
by zander35 - 12/08/21 04:45 PM
Another "Which Midi Controller Should I Buy"
by cody.carrig - 12/08/21 04:05 PM
Chopin's Polonaise 26/2 and staccato duration
by Mati - 12/08/21 04:04 PM
How good is a Chickering 105 B concert grand?
by tommyhaha - 12/08/21 02:34 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics210,461
Posts3,151,648
Members103,560
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission