2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
98 members (Amadeus M., brdwyguy, anotherscott, ando, accordeur, 25 invisible), 1,081 guests, and 439 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 30 of 33 1 2 28 29 30 31 32 33
EB5AGV Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by SeaDrive
Originally Posted by EB5AGV
BTW, which VSTs do you have?

Oh, no... cursing

I don't understand this comment... It is a must to use a VST with the VPC1. So asking which one is going to use is pretty logical. IMHO

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1
...plus some other DPs, synths, controllers and VSTs

[Linked Image]
B
B
Thanks all! BTW - the action is simply stunning on the Kawai. I had no idea something like this could exist. I bought my SL-880 Pro back in like 2002 or something and it was great action for its time, but this is just another league of its own!

For VSTs I have all the NI stuff - Grandeur, and all the older Galaxy products, also Noire. I love some of my old Sampletekk libraries from many years ago. Sampletekk 7CG, Black Grand, etc. I'd say for day-to-day playing, I usually end up on the Grandeur or Vintage D. Pianoteq stage I also have which for more realistic playing, is great for me.

I post on youtube from time to time. Up to this point, all has been with the studiologic keyboard I've been trying over time to learn all the easier Rachmaninoff pieces I can. Right now I'm working on his Prelude in d major. here is a link to his Elegie in E flat minor:

Last edited by Bostonmoores; 07/24/21 07:29 PM. Reason: youtube link
B
B
Not sure what happened to that youtube link above..

Another new happy owner of the VPC1 in 2021 (delivered last month). It is a dream when paired with a high level VST such as the VSL Synchron concert pianos (in particular the D274 which I got on sale), and the dynamic control is simply amazing for something that is not acoustic.

The action is indeed on the heavier side (which I fully was aware of in my prior research), but the benefit is it does make my Boston grand's action feel lighter (and I already found my Boston's action relatively heavy in comparison to my buddy's Yamaha C3X), and as a result I can glide more easily when I transition back to my grand.

I have been on the search for a new digital to pair with my Boston grand (and upgrade from my old Yamaha Arius), and after playing every digital available over the span of a year (including the MP11SE and CA99), I have no regrets settling on the VPC1 sight unseen (literally bought the last brand new one available in Australia online at the time).

For something that was released over 8 years ago (2013), it sure has aged well. It's surprising the other brands haven't bothered to compete with this, although considering the sales figures and the niche target audience for this, it kind of makes sense. Really hope there is a successor to this or the MP11SE down the line with the newer generation Grand Feel actions.

Now time to wait for more future sales on VSTs, particularly the Garritan CFX and Modern U 👀👀

Pianos: Boston GP-178 PE II (2018), Yamaha Arius YDP-162 (2013), Kawai VPC1 (2021), Casio CT-S1 (2021)
VSTs: VSL Synchron Concert D-274
Channel: youtube.com/isonnyt (Japanese/anime piano sheets and arrangements)
Experience: 7 years self-taught (2013-2020) + 1.5 years classical (2020-present)
Tyr Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I contacted my dealer today and asked for a refund on the VPC1. The keyboard is great, but I can not cope with the pedal. Since you can not connect other pedals with half pedal function, I have no other option. Luckily, my dealer is willing to take the unit back. Since I liked the VPC1 itself, I'll stick with Kawai and take an MP11SE instead.

Kawai: NV5 | MP11SE
Pianoteq 7 Pro | Garritan CFX Full | Vienna Imperial | Keyscape Full | Ravenscroft 275 - Modern U - Model D - AG | Minigrand
Can I ask you why you need a VPC1/MP11SE when you have a NV5?

And yes, the pedal unit of the VPC1 is... special.

Kawai VPC1 | Roland FP-30 | Pianoteq 7
EB5AGV Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
It is at least interesting to note that not everyone is having problems with the VPC1 pedal unit. Mine works nicely and my unit is a 5 years old one (bought by original owner in May 2016 and by me in July 2020)

Has perhaps the quality of newer units declined?

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1

[Linked Image]
A
A
Originally Posted by EB5AGV
Has perhaps the quality of newer units declined?

No, it's always been that way.
Some of my friends complained about the quality of the pedals in the VPC1 many years ago. In particular, their pedal was out of order. But some people continue to ask "why do we need an upgrade for VPC1, because the VPC1 is perfect".

So, at least, because of this. But Kawai turns a blind eye to this problem, because the VPC1 is still being bought. Even the users themselves write "why do we need an update?" Well, with this approach, we will not see an update for a long time.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
This is one person's pedal fix

[url=https://web.archive.org/web/20181126031410/http://www.joflaherty.org/HallEffectSustain/VPC1%20pedal%20mod.pdf][/url]

Tyr Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by eddiepiano
Can I ask you why you need a VPC1/MP11SE when you have a NV5?

And yes, the pedal unit of the VPC1 is... special.

I can't play the NV5 at any time. Also having a PC wired up in the living room for VST usage is a no go. wink

@ newer_player: Thanks, i tried to find this pdf but the links i'd found were dead.

Last edited by Tyr; 07/27/21 11:01 AM.

Pianoteq 7 Pro | Garritan CFX Full | Vienna Imperial | Keyscape Full | Ravenscroft 275 - Modern U - Model D - AG | Minigrand
EB5AGV Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by newer player

[url=https://web.archive.org/web/20181126031410/http://www.joflaherty.org/HallEffectSustain/VPC1%20pedal%20mod.pdf][/url]

Very interesting!. I was playing with the idea of a pedal fix, if mine fails (or _when_ mine fails, it seems). That is very useful.

I want to check the feasibility of doing some kind of DIY kit, using 3D printing and a PCB, based on a similar sensor approach.

I would need ideally an inoperative pedal unit. Anyone with a broken unit who could spare it?

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1

[Linked Image]
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by newer player

Did you actually succeed at viewing the pdf? The reason I ask is that I followed the link you provided, and could only get to a website that seems to keep count of how many times the document was searched for. I was not able to get to the document, itself.

Ralph

Kawai VPC1
Garritan CFX
Pianist since April, 2015
Tyr Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I've uploaded the pdf here: https://easyupload.io/k9yahc

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Sorry for the broken links

https://web.archive.org/web/20181126031410/http://www.joflaherty.org/HallEffectSustain/VPC1%20pedal%20mod.pdf

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Thanks, Tyr and newerplayer. I've wanted to store this document for some time, just in case my pedal goes bad. So far, mine is good!

Ralph

Kawai VPC1
Garritan CFX
Pianist since April, 2015
J
J
would this be a solution for those of you with pedal problems? this guy's e-drum unit has revolutionised the e-drum world (not hyperbole - it's the 2nd VPC1 equivalent in the edrum world, the first that is plug and play, and it solves many of the problems e drummers have faced for decades)

his MIDI expression pedal-translation units - linked below - are well regarded as i understand it. The are forums so you can check user experiences

i have no interest in this company - i speak from experience as a user of the edrumin

https://www.audiofront.net/MIDIExpression.php

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
I'm sorry to say my sustain pedal has a broken plastic cover, but other than that, the unit functions normally.

Hopefully when we drive the U-Haul truck on moving day the keyboard will have no problems...

H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

Originally Posted by jackopiano
would this be a solution for those of you with pedal problems? this guy's e-drum unit has revolutionised the e-drum world (not hyperbole - it's the 2nd VPC1 equivalent in the edrum world, the first that is plug and play, and it solves many of the problems e drummers have faced for decades)

his MIDI expression pedal-translation units - linked below - are well regarded as i understand it. The are forums so you can check user experiences

i have no interest in this company - i speak from experience as a user of the edrumin

I may have some useful tips regarding this. I'm verifying that now and will then get back to this thread.

Cheers and happy pedaling,

HZ

Tyr Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
would this be a solution for those of you with pedal problems?

The easiest solution should be making the F-10H or GFP3 Pedals compatible to the VPC1.

H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

Originally Posted by HZPiano
Hello,

would this be a solution for those of you with pedal problems?

I may have some useful tips regarding this. I'm verifying that now and will then get back to this thread.

So:

The Kawai F-10H pedal is truly excellent and a joy to use. I found out about it some eight months ago, and wanted to use it with my piano setup dearly. I overcame the compatibility hurdle and am now happily using two of these pedals and will probably add a third (as the middle one) at some point. So how?

I contacted Robert Jonkman, proprietor of Audiofront, to ask if the single-input MIDI Expression interface would work with this pedal. He thought it should, so I purchased one. Alas, it didn't... So I studied the inner workings of the F-10H, did some dead reckoning on the workings of the interface, and came up with some additional circuitry that... made it work! Beautifully! A big YAY!

Robert turned out to be helpful because, knowing of my problem, in the meantime he devized a solution as well. We verified eachother's solutions, I did measurements on both and both performed exactly identical in use. Roberts' was slightly more preferable electronics wise.

So to make sure, I just verified with Robert: The single-input MIDI Expression interface that he currently ships now works with the F-10H. The other versions of the interface do *not*.

I hope this is fine news to all of you who would just as dearly love to have better pedaling with their VPC1 -- or other MIDI/VI piano setup.

For using triple pedal units that use similar optical sensoring as the F-10H does, I reckon using three single-input MIDI Expressions in parallel -- together with adapted cables/plugs -- will work. I did *not* test this in person, though! If in any doubt, contact Audiofront before making any purchase.

I guess this opens up the use of one or multiple F-10Hs (as I do) and *possibly* also opens up the use of the GFP-3. Another Kawai triple pedal set that I found to have optical sensoring is the one I posted about here: http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthre...i-f-350-vs-f-10h-pedals-pedal-sets.html. However, the short travel of these pedals and too much stiffness (to my taste) make them no match for the likes of the F-10H.

Hope this helps, and may it take your VPC1 joy to a new level.

Cheers and happy pedaling!

HZ

Page 30 of 33 1 2 28 29 30 31 32 33

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai CA93 vs Kawai CA67
by talamundele - 09/21/21 11:57 AM
Viscount Physis V100 and G1000
by David Izquierdo - 09/21/21 10:50 AM
Yamaha CLP 575 VS Kawai Ca48
by Amadeus M. - 09/21/21 09:16 AM
Charles Walter
by Judise - 09/21/21 09:12 AM
Pronunciation .... lol
by cygnusdei - 09/21/21 07:45 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,223
Posts3,134,023
Members102,788
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission