2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
79 members (Animisha, Carey, anotherscott, 36251, Alfred La Fleur, adamcz, Bruce In Philly, Bruce Sato, 15 invisible), 673 guests, and 399 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3140795 07/26/21 11:15 PM
E
EDV Offline OP
OP Offline
E
What arpeggios are these ? Thanks in advance !

[Linked Image]

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
I
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I
I see Fmaj7#5 and the second could be Abmaj7#5 if there was Ab instead of a G#.

500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
My first instinct was Fmaj7#5 too - but I'd probably think of it more as two separate chords: Fmaj#5 and then A Major.

Second one could be broken down in a similar way: Cmaj#5 then C major.

T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
I don't have a keyboard to try it out. I go by the sound, not being strong in theory. First one looks like it will sound A major even if it doesn't really parse out.

The lesson here is when you write music use a key signature instead of accidentals. <smiley>

gotta go practice
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Since in the 2nd G# slides down to G nat each time, could that just be C major with a kind of appoggiatura feel to it? (Actually the first one also sort of does the same thing)

It might be good to see both of them in the context of the music.

500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
Also, just to add, that I'd probably play these using two hands crossing-over i.e. I wouldn't play it as a one handed arp. RH - LH - RH - LH

E
EDV Offline OP
OP Offline
E
I also play them with both hands as it dramatically improves speed and flow. Regarding the writing, these I just picked up by ear... I hear them used a lot in classical piano concertos when the piano is interacting with the orchestra. Not sure why I can't find them in my Technical Workbook of scales and arpeggios, which has most arpeggios and arpeggio variants required for grades 1 to 8.

E
EDV Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Here's another one for good measure:

[Linked Image]

E
EDV Offline OP
OP Offline
E
I should add I play around with these for four or five octaves, not just two. Also using the pedal adds to the effect.

I
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I
The third one is Cmaj7#5.

Nobody has said anything about my proposition of an alternate way of viewing these, nor has anyone picked up on my comment about context (we've not been given any - the OP probably doesn't know that it matters and nobody else has asked about it). I ran this by my teacher.

There are different ways of perceiving those chords. With the original two, they are both the same pattern or chord. The first can also be seen as A6 (A C# E F) - my appog.-slidey thing for the F. with the main chord as the A chord also had merit for how to hear it. But I was asked "What is the musical context? What do the measures before and after do?" which I couldn't answer. "Why didn't the asker give that?" and "Didn't anybody ask?" Well - I did.

Musical context tells us how to hear the chords, and also whether they should have been written differently. Think of the aug6 chord, where you hear a "dom7" both times. If it's going to F or Fm, it will be written C7, but if it's going to B or Bm, it will be written C(aug6) in whatever inversion.

Is that the only possible way of seeing it? It is the same pattern as the other two.

Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by keystring
Nobody has said anything about my proposition of an alternate way of viewing these, nor has anyone picked up on my comment about context (we've not been given any - the OP probably doesn't know that it matters and nobody else has asked about it). I ran this by my teacher.

There are different ways of perceiving those chords. With the original two, they are both the same pattern or chord. The first can also be seen as A6 (A C# E F) - my appog.-slidey thing for the F. with the main chord as the A chord also had merit for how to hear it. But I was asked "What is the musical context? What do the measures before and after do?" which I couldn't answer. "Why didn't the asker give that?" and "Didn't anybody ask?" Well - I did.

Musical context tells us how to hear the chords, and also whether they should have been written differently. Think of the aug6 chord, where you hear a "dom7" both times. If it's going to F or Fm, it will be written C7, but if it's going to B or Bm, it will be written C(aug6) in whatever inversion.

Is that the only possible way of seeing it? It is the same pattern as the other two.

You missed the OPs explanation: he picked these up from listening and transcribed. He can’t find them in his technique book but practices them in multiple octaves.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member

I mentioned that I thought it was two separate chords - and I still think that.

It won't be found in a technique book because it's not an arpeggio, more of a melody for two hands to play.

Originally Posted by dogperson
You missed the OPs explanation: he picked these up from listening and transcribed. He can’t find them in his technique book but practices them in multiple octaves.
Apparently I did, though I also wrote more than about that in the quote.

Then question to the OP - Does what got transcribed live within a context - within more things in the music? Would it be a possible to get a link to the music (recording), or the name of it?

T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by fatar760
It won't be found in a technique book because it's not an arpeggio, more of a melody for two hands to play.

Probably with a walking bass to add context.

gotta go practice
I
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I
Well, we were asked a simple question, 'What arpeggios are these?' This question has a simple and exact answer: these are arpeggiated third inversions of augmented major seventh chords F, Ab and C (with the second one in all likelihood transcribed incorrectly): Fmaj7#5/E, Abmaj7#5/G, Cmaj7#5/B

If we were given musical context for each example, there might have been a place for other speculations, but without context the answer seems clear.

There is no indication that G# in the second example may be considered an appoggiatura (a non-chord tone). It also concerns other examples.

I would also like to make some notes, considering that it's the Piano Teachers Forum and students may be reading it.

The first can also be seen as A6 (A C# E F)
No, A6 chord is A C# E F#.

My first instinct was Fmaj7#5 too - but I'd probably think of it more as two separate chords: Fmaj#5 and then A Major.
There is no such conventional chord notation Fmaj#5, what you meant is called Faug.

500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Iaroslav Vasiliev

There is no such conventional chord notation Fmaj#5, what you meant is called Faug.

You're quite right, this was a poor typo influenced by the Fmaj7#5. Hopefully my suggestion was still clear.

The OP mentioned a classical context, of which I've not seen this in a tech book; however, I wonder if this augmented-major 7 pattern appears in any of my jazz tech books.

I
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I

You're quite right, this was a poor typo influenced by the Fmaj7#5. Hopefully my suggestion was still clear.

Your suggestion is clear, but it has a flaw. The example consists of 16 notes. The sequence of Faug and A chords consists of only 6 notes, so the last 2 notes (F and E) of both first and second measures remain unattributed.

500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member

Your suggestion is clear, but it has a flaw. The example consists of 16 notes. The sequence of Faug and A chords consists of only 6 notes, so the last 2 notes (F and E) of both first and second measures remain unattributed.

But still part of a sequence involving Faug and A chords. Truth is that we don't know what happens afterwards as the bars are empty. Like I said, in a classical context I don't recognise the arp but in a jazz context I do: my first thought matched yours, and I think it's the most sage explanation BUT from a practical perspective I'd probably think of the former to negotiate my way through it.

I
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I

But still part of a sequence involving Faug and A chords. Truth is that we don't know what happens afterwards as the bars are empty. Like I said, in a classical context I don't recognise the arp but in a jazz context I do: my first thought matched yours, and I think it's the most sage explanation BUT from a practical perspective I'd probably think of the former to negotiate my way through it.

The truth is that you would fail a theory exam with that kind of explanation.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha GT20 versus NU1X
by Music_with_emma - 09/20/21 08:09 AM
Player pianos
by Selencious - 09/20/21 06:52 AM
What's this bit do?
by chopin_r_us - 09/20/21 03:14 AM
Ivers and Pond Full Upright vs Steinway K52
by Pianolance - 09/19/21 11:25 PM
could you judge my playing please.
by daoc2009 - 09/19/21 09:31 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,200
Posts3,133,717
Members102,777
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission