2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
63 members (brennbaer, Chris James, CianistAndPomposer, Andrea Massimo, Ben_NZ, 36251, antune, bluebilly, clothearednincompo, 10 invisible), 1,038 guests, and 457 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
OP Offline
A
Need advice on piano purchase

Kawai K300 (48 inch upright, built 2017) — $5300 including move cost

Vs.

Kawai GE-1 baby grand (5ft1 inch, built 1997) — $3900 including moving cost

Both evaluated by piano technician and in “exceptional” condition.

I had done a lot of research on uprights and the baby grand fell into my lap as a last second option. Is this the better route? Is the age difference a significant factor here on a baby grand?

Thanks in advance for any input

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Have you played these two pianos? Do you prefer one over the other and, if so, why?

5' 1" is very small for a grand although the Kawai name is well-respected among posters on this board. Are these pianos in a dealership and is the technician who evaluated these pianos independent from the dealership?

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
A
A
I had a 1987 Yamaha C2 from childhood. Traded it for a K300 Aures for the silent capabilities. The silent part was awesome but the action and sound made me miss my grand. Less than a year later I sold the k300 and got a grand.

In your situation I will say that the grand is pretty small. If you spent $5300 on a grand you prob could get one in the 5’7” range which would be better.

https://stilwellpianos.com/collecti...ducts/young-chang-g-175-baby-grand-piano

Last edited by APianistHasNoName; 07/26/21 04:43 PM.

Working on:
Chopin Ballade No.1
Chopin Etude Op 10 No 8
Schubert Impromptus Op 90 No 1-4
Haydn Sonata E flat Major Hob. XVI:52
Schumann/Liszt Widmung

Practicing on:
Yamaha P-515

Playing on:
C. Bechstein Concert A192

Old Flames:
1987 Yamaha C2
2020 Kawai K-300 Aures
j&j Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
The Kawai K300 is a nice sized upright and perfectly suitable for advanced students. If you want an upright I’d say heck yes.

I generally always prefer grands, but 5’1” is pretty small and won’t have much bass. I’d personally would try to find a longer used grand.

It’s entirely up to you and what you want in your piano. Keep us posted on what you choose.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
The reason I’m old and wise is because God protected me when I was young and stupid.
[Linked Image]
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I'd probably pick based on the performance of the individual pianos, in person. On paper, probably the K300.

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by BruceD
Have you played these two pianos? Do you prefer one over the other and, if so, why?

5' 1" is very small for a grand although the Kawai name is well-respected among posters on this board. Are these pianos in a dealership and is the technician who evaluated these pianos independent from the dealership?

Regards,

I only played the the k300 and done extensive research on it. I was set to go through with it but the baby grand was presented as an alternative. I have only been able to hear the ge-1 on YouTube. Technicians independent. The baby grand is from an estate sale (thinking why the price is low as priced to get sold quickly) and k300 is private.

Originally Posted by APianistHasNoName
I had a 1987 Yamaha C2 from childhood. Traded it for a K300 Aures for the silent capabilities. The silent part was awesome but the action and sound made me miss my grand. Less than a year later I sold the k300 and got a grand.

In your situation I will say that the grand is pretty small. If you spent $5300 on a grand you prob could get one in the 5’7” range which would be better.

https://stilwellpianos.com/collecti...ducts/young-chang-g-175-baby-grand-piano

I don’t think I’d have room for any bigger baby grand or grand style piano. So just stuck with these two options for the time being. It’s a piano I wanted to continue to learn on as I’ve outgrown my keyboard and wanted something to last as a family piano if children also decided to learn.

Any thoughts on the millennium 3 action versus what the baby grand might have (I’m not sure as I can’t find much information about specs online)

Originally Posted by j&j
The Kawai K300 is a nice sized upright and perfectly suitable for advanced students. If you want an upright I’d say heck yes.

I generally always prefer grands, but 5’1” is pretty small and won’t have much bass. I’d personally would try to find a longer used grand.

It’s entirely up to you and what you want in your piano. Keep us posted on what you choose.

I wouldn’t have room for a bigger grand style piano. I was set to go with the upright k300 but enticed by the lower price point of the baby grand.

K
K
Given that you have size restraints that confine you to a short grand, I would go for the K300. It'll likely provide better base response than the little GE-1. Absolutely nothing wrong with a high quality upright, and the K300 is definitely a quality instrument.

2021 Yamaha U1
2021 Yamaha P-515

1993 Roland KR-4500 (1993-2021)
1965 Baldwin Acrosonic (1966-1993)
A
A
If space limited go for the k300. The action is really good and tone excellent for an upright.

Working on:
Chopin Ballade No.1
Chopin Etude Op 10 No 8
Schubert Impromptus Op 90 No 1-4
Haydn Sonata E flat Major Hob. XVI:52
Schumann/Liszt Widmung

Practicing on:
Yamaha P-515

Playing on:
C. Bechstein Concert A192

Old Flames:
1987 Yamaha C2
2020 Kawai K-300 Aures
j&j Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Do try the small grand just to make sure.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
The reason I’m old and wise is because God protected me when I was young and stupid.
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
The age difference is significant for pianos.Still if you take more time in your search you may just find something better.The K300 is nearly new and should be a good upright.It is really your choice.If you miss having a grand then go for the GE-1.I probably would rather choose the K300(I think?)

A
OP Offline
A
Thanks everyone for the input. Going to be a tough choice.

J
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
J
That's a choice I couldn't make for you. A grand piano has certain advantages over an upright, but I don't remember what the action is in a GE-1, because it's an old model. A short grand does have some disadvantages but 5'1 is still OK if the design is good. I don't know the model, however, so I'm talking off the cuff here.

With Kawai, even more so than with Yamaha, it's usually the case that the newer piano is better, when comparing equivalent models. The K-300 has the advantage of being a newer instrument, and it is respected in the trade, so that's something to consider. A 24 year old Japanese piano isn't particularly old, but there have been changes implemented since then across the whole range that make newer instruments better.

Have you tried the pianos? Do you like the sound of the pianos? What do you think about the individual pianos? Do you prefer the grand or the upright? Have you tried other brands? Is there anything else in your price range *including* digitals and hybrids that you would be willing to try as well?

Sorry my post is a bit rambling but those be my thoughts!

YAMAHA Artist

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha N2
by RedmondSteve - 09/17/21 02:08 AM
CSP 170; action; user friendliness; discontinuation
by RedmondSteve - 09/16/21 11:24 PM
Kawai ES920 bug report + question
by Chummy - 09/16/21 11:14 PM
Weird bar in Henle 3rd scherzo
by chopinetto - 09/16/21 10:12 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,146
Posts3,132,849
Members102,751
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission