2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (brennbaer, accordeur, antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 11 invisible), 1,860 guests, and 321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Cassia Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Hi everyone, I have movers coming over on Monday to reposition my piano and I'm trying to figure out what my best option is. The piano is a Yamaha C2X (so 5'8") and in an alcove that is about 9.8' x about 12' but it opens out to a larger room that's about an additional 20'. Currently, the piano is angled in the space in such a way that the lid opens towards a wall, making it pretty lively:

[Linked Image]

I want to turn it so it opens out to the larger room. I have two options to do so. First I can rotate it about 90 degrees so that it's still angled in the space:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Or I can position it so it's more square in the space:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I was planning on going with the first option, but now I'm second guessing myself. I might have the movers position it both ways so I can try out each way and see if one sounds better than the other (potentially difficult to assess, the piano needs to be tuned which will be done the following day), but I welcome any thoughts or opinions anyone would like to share.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Hi Cassia! that's a lovely space you have there!

I have a Yamaha C2, so same size, just older than yours. Also my piano space is a little larger than yours, (ETA my piano room is 10'10" by 18'10") but your total space is much larger than mine.

I wonder if you might find that the sound and use of space is best in option two.... Re sound, in option 1, you still have some of the sound directed at a wall, right? If so, I'd go with option 2. But of course, if you have try both, that's definitely the thing to do!

You may have seen this already, but here's what I posted in a different thread about my own adventures in repositioning my piano. I think I had the piano moved maybe barely two months after buying it!

Here are the before/after pics and floor plans of my piano placement. In both the before and after photos, it's kind of hard to tell but there's that open floor space on the left side of each floor plan. I use that space for folding chairs, but in the original placement, I had no idea I would hate sitting with my back to everyone. So that was my original motivation for repositioning.

But notice the location of the doors in the floor plans. I love my piano, and it sounded lovely in the first placement.

Original placement:
[Linked Image]

Before repositioning 1:
[Linked Image]

Before repositioning 2:
[Linked Image]

But then when I had the piano moved, wow, the sound quality just knocked my socks off! It sounded so, so much better. And not just the bass, but in all registers. And I think it's partly because of those doorways, but also partly because the piano opens out to the longer part of the room.

Oh, and this room isn't that big, it's 10'10" by 18'10"

New placement:
[Linked Image]

After repositioning 1:
[Linked Image]

After repositioning 2:
[Linked Image]

Last edited by ShiroKuro; 07/23/21 01:34 PM.

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
C
Cassia Offline OP
OP Offline
C
ShiroKuro, your post is actually what has me reconsidering! Your C2 looks so nice in your space and is somewhat similar to mine (even if your shortest wall has a foot on mine). If I go with the first option, I don't think there will be much sound directed at a wall - the far wall actually has huge openings making it effectively a half wall and the space for the sound to expand into much larger.

I wish pianos were easier to move so I could live with multiple positionings for a few weeks or months each.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Your C2 looks so nice in your space
thank you!!

I wish pianos were easier to move so I could live with multiple positionings for a few weeks or months each.

Yes, exactly!! I ended up paying for that second move... I can't remember how much but obviously it would have been better if that wasn't actually necessary.

Regarding option, if the sound doesn't bounce on the wall, then I think it could be fine sound-wise....

I think option 1 might have the effect of emphasizing (in a good way) the depth of the room (maybe??)

Another benefit of #1 is that when you sit at the piano, you can more look out into the room (rather than at the opposite wall), and given that that wall is shorter, you might prefer option 1??

Option 2 is sort of a more traditional view when looking at the piano. With option 1, visitors can't see your hands, but they can with option 2.

Do you host piano parties or play with an instrumentalist? If yes, then option 1 might be better, but if not, then either...

Hmm, I'm not really helping! whome

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
I would vote for option 1. I think it looks better, I think it might sound better, and I think you will enjoy looking along the room when you are playing.

H
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
H
As you said you can try both options and decide according to the sound. I would go with option 2.

5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by David-G
I would vote for option 1. I think it looks better, I think it might sound better, and I think you will enjoy looking along the room when you are playing.
I agree I think this may be the best option.

My piano's voice is my voice to God and the great unknown universe, and to those I love.
In other words a hymn. That is all, but that is enough. tre corda

C
Cassia Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
Do you host piano parties or play with an instrumentalist? If yes, then option 1 might be better, but if not, then either...

Hmm, I'm not really helping! whome

I don't host parties or play with an instrumentalist. I hate performing so I don't need to think about an audience.

I hadn't considered what I would be looking at from the bench, so that's a good consideration. I like the view from option 1 best, and I do think it might sound a bit better, but aesthetically I think I prefer the way option 2 looks.

My young nephew had been taking piano lessons but recently gave them up and switched to cello instead. I'm sad that I won't have another pianist in the family, but secretly happy that he has chosen a more mobile instrument.

L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Both seem viable options, let the sound decide.

If the window has an interesting view I would definitely consider.

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400

2006 August Förster 215
C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
PMFJI (and forgive a dumb question):

. . . Why is it not "standard practice" to put a home piano
. . . on a dolly with large wheels, as is done in every concert hall ?

Is it "just esthetics", or is there something else?

Thanks --

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
A dolly would be added expense and aesthetically unattractive. But if one could rent one for a week or so then it would be idea to get the proper placement. They seem fairly easy to wheel around.

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
I guess the first setup will sound a little better.
You want to avoid beaming your sound straight into a wall (at opposite of the room) . Rotating the piano makes it a little less symmetrical. You might want to look into a bit of room treatment as well

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Charles Cohen
PMFJI (and forgive a dumb question):

. . . Why is it not "standard practice" to put a home piano
. . . on a dolly with large wheels, as is done in every concert hall ?

Is it "just esthetics", or is there something else?

Thanks --

The standard piano wheels are good enough for occasional moving. Most people don't do more than that

They are also not cheap, the solid types with a connection bar between them eg from Jansen are around $750

It often lifts up the entire piano; especially lifting the pedals is not helping the playability.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Re the dolly, I wouldn’t want one under my home piano aesthetically.

But re moving using the attached casters, if you have carpet, it’s not so straight forward I think. When I was trying to decide whether to reposition my piano, I googled around and read a lot, and posted here IIRC. And ultimately what I decided was that there were too many possibilities for things to go wrong by us moving the piano ourselves, and so I paid the piano movers to come back and move it for me.

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Yes you should not try to roll over carpet. Probably not even with bigger wheels like on a dolly. You need to put in some solid sheets under the wheels first

C
Cassia Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Thanks everyone for your input, it was helpful to consider your different thoughts. Ultimately, I went with option 1. I'm not sure if it sounded better than option 2 (they seemed pretty similar to my ears), but I think it looks nicer. The only thing I don't like is this puts the piano a bit closer to the window, which is southern facing. I do have blackout shades and will be using them, but I also won't be enjoying quite as much natural light as I normally do. The sacrifices we make for our art, eh? Incidentally, the movers basically removed the caster cups and then just rolled the piano around. They might have lifted it a bit too as they rolled it, but the casters apparently were a help in the move.
[Linked Image]

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Lovely!! Congratulations!

Re the southern exposure, could you angle the blinds up without closing them completely?

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Get UV film for the window, cheap and highly effective

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400

2006 August Förster 215
C
Cassia Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by Learux
Get UV film for the window, cheap and highly effective

I never would have thought of that. Thanks for the suggestion!

C
Cassia Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
Lovely!! Congratulations!

Re the southern exposure, could you angle the blinds up without closing them completely?

Thanks! I think it looks much nicer this way. The blinds are honeycomb cellular shades, so they don't angle. They do pull down from the top as well as up from the bottom, so I can position them that way. But now that Learux has suggested UV film, I'll have to try that out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission