2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
74 members (brdwyguy, anotherscott, accordeur, 36251, antune, A. Lucato, adamcz, 16 invisible), 990 guests, and 474 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
OP Offline
S
Hi,

I just bouche the Garritan CFX and I have to say I am pleased with the sound and the playability.

There is only 1 thing I can't understand:

It plays great without any crack when I use it in standalone mode but as Vsti in Reaper there are a lot of dropouts with the exact same setting of buffer and precache...
It is strange because Reaper is known to be stable as a rock.

Is there someone else having this trouble in VSTi mode?

S
OP Offline
S
I mean I just bought

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Is it running in the same condition (sample rate, buffer length) ?

I have no problem running Garritan CFX in Reaper, excepted when running Firefox in the same time (my 8GB of memory isn’t enough for adding too much application).

Yamaha CLP150, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
S
OP Offline
S
Yes same sample rate, buffer size, pre caching, no internet...
No problem so far thru Ableton live lite 10.

O
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
O
I have no such problems running Garritan CFX in Cakewalk by Bandlab ( it is a very good free DAW software - what used to be a paid app SONAR). Perhaps you can have better luck with it?

Osho

Mason & Hamlin BB
Kawai Novus NV10 + VST + Genelec 8050B monitors.
Current VST favorites (in the order of preference): Pianoteq 7/VSL Synchron Concert D//Garritan CFX/Embertone Walker D Full

[Linked Image]
H
H
Hi,

yes I have the same issue occurring when using Garritan CFX with Reaper. Though I do not get that many dropouts, just a few occasional ones. But absolutely none in standalone with exactly the same settings for everything.
It's not really a problem for me though, because for tracking I always use just a tiny MIDI recorder app in front of the standalone application - then I put the MIDI files into Reaper afterwards for offline rendering.

Holger

Pianist & Composer.
Steingraeber & Söhne C-212 CF, Kawai Novus NV10
VI Labs Ravenscroft, True Keys: Pianos; Garritan CFX Concert Grand, Synthogy Ivory II
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKKuqH6G1C9TuJosOx1dXaQ
https://holgerstiefpiano.bandcamp.com/
https://www.facebook.com/holgerstiefpiano
P
P
Originally Posted by stamkorg
Hi,

I just bouche the Garritan CFX and I have to say I am pleased with the sound and the playability.

There is only 1 thing I can't understand:

It plays great without any crack when I use it in standalone mode but as Vsti in Reaper there are a lot of dropouts with the exact same setting of buffer and precache...
It is strange because Reaper is known to be stable as a rock.

Is there someone else having this trouble in VSTi mode?

I use Garritan CFX full and compact versions in standalone mode and have been dealing with some crackling. It comes and goes.... don't know why. I have been on the verge of checking with tech support for the reason.

Sam

Yamaha P-105, Yamaha HS7s & HS8S, Dell Win 10, SSD, i5, 8G RAM, Garritan CFX
A
A
I know that's an old topic, but after liking CFX Lite not-so-much I finally upgraded to Garritan CFX full to give it another chance (Sweetwater 79$ upgrade offer) and I'm experiencing exactly the same problem as @stamkorg. When used in standalone, I'm running without any dropouts/cracks/pops at 48kHz, 128 buffer size. Same settings in Reaper, when Garritan 64-bit plugin loaded, I get occasional cracks and pops. No matter what I set in Garritan ARIA Player Advanced TAB (tried all possible combinations, going from 1GB RAM to 8GB RAM allocation). CPU is <15%, no issues with SSD. I experienced similar problems with other plugins using Sforzando (it's exactly the same ARIA engine) when loaded in Reaper. I installed other DAWs trial versions to check it and there's no issues with them, just Reaper.

I'm curious if anybody is using Garritan in Reaper, experienced (and resolved?) this issue?

BTW I really like the sound of full version and I think CFX Lite version is not doing justice to this great VI.

Ars non habet osorem nisi ignorantem
G
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
G
Try 44khz. That eliminated some non-latency pops for me that every other sampling rate introduces.

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I didn't notice any performance difference running in Reaper (except Reaper seems to load the samples faster than the Aria player does). I don't recall any special settings required.

Originally Posted by Gombessa
Try 44khz.
I'm pretty sure the samples are 44.1khz so running 48khz requires more CPU work.

Some people have good luck with much lower settings for storage in the "advanced" tab:
- Max Engine Ram Allocation (e.g. 256 MB)
- Inst Disc Pre-Caching (e.g. 64kb)

In "studio" tab, turn off the reverb button

In "preferences", "Audio Device API" tends to work best with ASIO, whereas WASAPI etc. tend to work poorly on Windows systems

In "info" tab, check what version of Aria engine you are running (note some minor DAW revisions). I think you can force updates to Garritan using the sforzando app (settings tab, select the update buttons below):
https://www.plogue.com/plgfrms/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=8674

For best Windows performance, turn off all wireless radios, set Windows Power Options to "High Performance", turn off all other programs.

M
M
Do you have any other software loaded? I bet you're running out of ram. Happens to me in cantabile when I layer too many instruments.

Rme BabyFace Pro, Dynaudio BM6-ll, Garritan CFX Full, Vienna Imperial, Truekeys American Grand, Modern U, Cantabile Solo 2, Hauptwerk Pipe Organ Vst, VB3 Hammond Vst and SPIN Leslie Vst, Yamaha CP33 and Novation Impulse 61
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by MooganDavid
Do you have any other software loaded? I bet you're running out of ram. Happens to me in cantabile when I layer too many instruments.

What sort of computer capacity do you have, and what operating system - if windows? I ask especially as I also now have problems with crackles and cracking up if I run several vsts together - accumulated intruments or even effects. For years I seem to remember having no practical issues at all while running Windows 7 with i7 4770 / 16GB. According to the utilty apps, cpu and ram have plenty of headroom, yet the sound begins to disintegrate. The problem seems to have occured when I switched over to Windows 10.

Anyone else found this? And if so, has anyone solved it? I've tried the usual measures - disabling audio and network drivers, eliminating background services etc. But it hasn't worked.

Last edited by toddy; 07/23/21 05:24 AM.

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
A
A
It seems my last post was deleted, becasue I've already wrote the info shocked

It's my live-music/VI optimized computer: Windows 7, i7, 16GB of RAM, 1TB SSD (more than half empty), turned off all power-saving options, wi-fi; LatencyMon-tested, no issues when playing 3 mics simultanously with Soniccouture Hammersmith, Production Voices, Ravenscroft 275 or similar size libraries with 44kHz or 48kHz and 128 sample buffer. Even with Garriatn CPU and disk meters do not exceed 20%.

When I run it in Cakewalk, everything works smoothly. In Reaper - cracks and pops. I've found some topics regarding Sforzando/ARIA Player issues on Reaper forum, but no solution given, but..

I found source of the problem. When the ARIA/Sforzando GUI is visible, the problem happens. When it's hidden, everything works super-smooth. It sounds ridiculous, but it's a repeatable and reproducible test result. So strange. I don't need GUI to be visible so now I hide it. It seems Reaper has some problems with it. I remember years back when on my old laptop (really, really old one) I was optimizing it for Pianoteq and it was visible how performance dropped once GUi is visible - people on Modartt forum confirmed it.

A
A
Originally Posted by toddy
The problem seems to have occured when I switched over to Windows 10.
I've got 2 laptops: my older one I mentioned in the post above running Win7 and brand-new-super-powerful one with Win10. On the old one everything (except the mentioned Sforzando/ARIA issue) runs smoothly. On the new one I spent like 2 days in a row to make it run my VIs without issues - no success yet. There must be some services running hidden even from admin-credentials level.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by AlphaBravoCharlie
When I run it in Cakewalk, everything works smoothly. In Reaper - cracks and pops. I've found some topics regarding Sforzando/ARIA Player issues on Reaper forum, but no solution given, but..

I found source of the problem. When the ARIA/Sforzando GUI is visible, the problem happens. When it's hidden, everything works super-smooth.
Good catch. Maybe some graphical issue displaying the keystrokes real-time.

V
V
I may be mistaken, but if my memory does not fail, there have been reports of cracks when using the standalone garritan CFX (not even within a daw) that go away if the standalone is minimized...

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by vagfilm
I may be mistaken, but if my memory does not fail, there have been reports of cracks when using the standalone garritan CFX (not even within a daw) that go away if the standalone is minimized...
That was my experience and I recall reading that at PW too.

A
A
Garritan CFX app / ARIA Player / Plogue sforzando - it's the same thing 'underneath'. With all of them I have no problems playing in standalone (even with GUI visible) but have clicks and pops as VST in Reaper. If I load Production Grand Compact or any other sforzando library, it also happens, so it's not directly connected with Garritan CFX library per se.

Although I appreciate ARIA being free engine, I feel much more confident with Kontakt-based libraries.

G
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by vagfilm

Good call there. I used to minimize the player too (I don't recall cracks/pops because of it, but that was something that was definitely reported in Pianoteq. On my intel MBP, after a couple of days of uptime, the Garritan player would no longer show keypresses on the virtual keyboard, and UI changes sometimes stopped working (though the VST would continue to play fine). None of that has happened so far on my M1.

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by AlphaBravoCharlie
I found source of the problem. When the ARIA/Sforzando GUI is visible, the problem happens. When it's hidden, everything works super-smooth. It sounds ridiculous, but it's a repeatable and reproducible test result. So strange. I don't need GUI to be visible so now I hide it. It seems Reaper has some problems with it. I remember years back when on my old laptop (really, really old one) I was optimizing it for Pianoteq and it was visible how performance dropped once GUi is visible - people on Modartt forum confirmed it.

I will test and report when I'll go back from my holydays

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai upright shortage in Canada?
by DeeZee - 09/19/21 05:55 PM
Korg SV-1 Sustain Pedal problem
by Herwiberde - 09/19/21 02:46 PM
JoJo Siwa's Baldwin grand
by ShiroKuro - 09/19/21 01:50 PM
Opinions on the CA49 for classical piano music only ?
by GaiaImpact - 09/19/21 01:16 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,192
Posts3,133,587
Members102,770
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission